My Shaft Experiment

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
So one thing that has been on my mind lately is which shaft gives me the best ball flight and feel for my game. The problem with my game is – my swing is not 100% consistent from one day to the next.

I have made strides over the past few months with lessons and my fitting at the TaylorMade Performance Labs. I know what my fitter recommended certainly felt great. However I hit multiple shafts that day and I had problems differentiating between one and the other. I really liked the feel of the lightweight steel offerings and I had been intrigued with the recent Graphite offerings as well.

I had been fitted into the Dynamic Gold S300 shafts in my Nike Machspeeds. I won’t go into that here, but it is definitely not the right shaft for me. Too stiff and too heavy. I have been humbled by numerous launch monitors and fittings since then which tell me I am definitely not a stiff flex guy. So the lighter shafts felt phenomenal to me and I realized just what I had been missing out on with a poorly fit shaft for my game.

For the record, my 6 iron swing speed is 78-80 mph. It used to be higher, but I throttled it back in the hopes of striking the ball better. I find my swing is now at its best controllable speed and I am striking it better than I ever have before.

As a little test before we place our orders for irons, I recently asked a few THP’ers to send me their used burner 2.0 6 irons. I then sent them to a place that would re-shaft them with four different shafts and let me see for myself over an extended test which works best. A special thanks to Pure Performance Labs for providing the shafts and re-gripping them all, even cutting them down to 37” and bending them 1* up. They were absolutely fantastic to work with and they completely understood what an interesting little project it will provide for me.

This little experiment will allow me to hit all the shafts I really liked at my fitting, and not worry about whether I’m having a poor ball striking day. I can extend the test over a week or so and several range sessions. I feel this will give me a great idea what I should be playing by highlight the pros and cons of each and provide me with the best shaft for me moving forward.

Well the UPS van arrived today, with a little box I had waited all weekend for. It contains Four burner 2.0 6 irons with four different shafts. I also decided to try Four different Grips. I have gamed the NDMC white/black grips for a few months and really like their feel. But I felt I was doing myself a disservice by not at least giving the other grips a shot. So this experiment will provide me with two unknowns. What shaft works best for my swing on poor striking days, and good striking days. As well as what grip holds up in hot humid conditions, and maybe (hopefully) rainy and wet conditions. (it is Ohio I have a feeling I’ll definitely get to try it rainy conditions lol).

I am more confident than ever with my ball striking and I know I didn't put my best swings on the fitting at TaylorMade Performance Labs. So this will give me a really fun way to figure out what to play in the future.

Here are the makeups:

1.) Matrix Ozik HD Programs 95- 5.0 Reg Flex - cut to 37”, 1* up, GP Red VDR Grip w/ 1 Addt’l wrap tape.
95g, Mid-High ballflight.

2.) KBS Tour 90 (Reg flex) – cut to 37”, 1* Up, Lamkin Performance Plus 3gen std w/ 1 Addt’l wrap tape.
95g, Torque 2.5, Mid-high ballflight

3.) True Temper GS85 – R300(Reg flex) = cut to 37”, 1* Up, , Lamkin N-DUR Red/White 3Gen Grip w/ 1 Addt’l wrap tape.
85g, High Ballflight

4.) Nippon 850 GH (Reg Flex) – Cut to 37”, 1* UP, GP TourWrap 2g Grip w/ 1 addt’l wrap tape.
87g, Mid Kick Point

Will get a good range session in tomorrow and post the results. I am definitely curious which one ends up on top. After hitting the KBS HI Rev Wedge shafts in my wedges I am definitely interested to see how the KBS TOUR 90 shafts hold up long term. I have never hit the True Temper lightweight offering but am certainly intrigued. The Nippon’s felt great compared to my 130g DG300 I had been playing. What a difference 50g is when swinging an iron. I wonder what my Swing speed increases with the lighter shafts or if it will at all.

Most importantly I am curious to see if my accuracy issues are fixed with the proper shaft. After two years with the stiff, low launching DG Golds. I am wondering if I had gone with the lighter shafts from the get go where things would be now. I know I make poor swings from time to time – but I can’t help but think the stiffer shaft and heavier shafts are holding me back from my full potential at this point in time. I guess only time will tell.

If you all have any questions please feel free to fire away, I will try my best to answer any and all that come my way.

My one question I have so far is, when assembling, the Lab says all their clubs go through a SST Pureing alignment. I haven’t heard much of this – so wonder if anyone has any info on it.

Here are the pics:

IMG_4997.jpg

shot of the grips
ozik Programs on top with the RED VDR's
KBS Tour 90 with the white Lamkin Perf 3gen
TT GS 95 with the Lamkin NDUR 3gen
Nippon NSPro 850GH with the GP Red TourWrap 2g

IMG_5004.jpg

shot of the shafts

IMG_5008.jpg

another shot of the grips with better lighting

IMG_5009.jpg

better shaft pictures

IMG_5010.jpg

long view

IMG_5012.jpg

3 of the 4 clubs (the nippons didnt) have this lead tape on the bottom. when they cut the shafts Im guessing they added weight to maintain swingweight?
is that correct?

Yup, lead tape to bring the head weight up and keep the same swing weight between the clubs.

Looking forward to your finds mate, this could prove quite interesting.

Great little test, I am very intersted in what you find. A part of me yearns for good results with the Matrix shaft.

Should be very interesting to see the results, CG. Thanks for posting this.

Good luck CG...interesting test idea.

That sounds like a cool test. Good Luck with your results.

Impressive test that you are putting it through; I like it...alot! Looking forward to see how this goes - and I must say that white Matrix shaft just looks bada$$!!

Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing your results. Specifically, interested in seeing how your ball flight is with the KBS tour 90's compared to the others...

Great test dude and I'm really looking forward to your thoughts. Especially on the GS85 and Matrix shafts. Thanks man!

Sorry I didn't see my answer but is that Matrix Shaft graphite or painted steel?

Looking forward to seeing how the nippons stack up.

Sorry I didn't see my answer but is that Matrix Shaft graphite or painted steel?

Looking forward to seeing how the nippons stack up.

It is white graphite and is the only graphite option in y test. The rest are lightweight steel

This is a great idea and I look forward to hearing your results. The one thing I hope is the different grips don`t mask the feel of the shafts when you compare them to each other. My thought would be the texture of each grip will give you a different feel and make you think you like one shaft over another when its the grip that is making the difference.

I'll be very curious to read how it comes out CG. I've only hit the Nippons. I won't comment either way as I don't want to put any thoughts in your head. :)

It is white graphite and is the only graphite option in y test. The rest are lightweight steel

very cool sir...can't wait for the results. Just make sure you don't overdo it with 1 club so that you're not overly tired for the next set.

glad to see you got them, looking forward to hearing your thoughts....and maybe trying them out :)

cool test CG.....I look forward to reading the results!

I spent alitle over an hour trying em out.

After I warmed up I hit 5 balls with each. Then I'd alternate each ball.

Pretty interesting. I'll do a good writup later.

Mike- I'll bring em Sunday we can hit any on the range you'd like

Very cool..

I spent alitle over an hour trying em out.

After I warmed up I hit 5 balls with each. Then I'd alternate each ball.

Pretty interesting. I'll do a good writup later.

Mike- I'll bring em Sunday we can hit any on the range you'd like

Looking forward to the write up man. It sounds like a good test.

First, I want to say that this is incredibly awesome, cg13. I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on the process, etc. Good luck, man!!!

Itching to read your write up!!!

First, this is bold, great job at trying this. Second, I'm curious to hear your results. I'm not a scientist, I only play one on TV, but doesn't bringing two variables into the equation negate the accuracy of the test? Maybe different grips will have little effect on the final analysis depending on what outcome your looking for from each. For example, you might like one shaft over the other for ball flight, but when you switch to the grip you like, the feel is harsher or does not provide the feedback you need. This might be a minor trifle though and I vigorously applaud you for trying this.

Great test. I'm curious to hear your results. I agree with some that the shaft change could have minor impact on the feel but I think the different shafts should give you the ball flight results you are looking for.

Back