My Very First Game Of Golf

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Played my first ever game of golf today!
banana.gif

Was going to play for the first time tomorrow, with the neighbor to one side of us. At about 10 o'clock this morning the neighbor to the other side--this being the neighbor who precipitated my getting into the game, gave me a call to tell me he'd finished with work for the day early, called one of the local courses, and found we could play. "Do you want to play your first game of golf now?" he asked. Thought about it for a heartbeat, said "Yeah!"

My very first drive off the tee was 165 yards right down the middle of the fairway. I was pretty happy with that, given how badly I'd been hitting with my driver at the range yesterday. Finished the hole with a bogey. Unfortunately it kind of tended to go pretty much downhill after that, but it's all good :)

Got to:
  • Play every single one of my clubs
  • Learn how to play out of the bunker
  • Play in the rain
The first bunker I played out of I blew badly. Flubbed the first try and chipped it all the way to the other side of the green and under a pine tree the second try--possibly w/o disturbing a single grain of sand
lol.gif
. The second bunker, though... Flubbed the first try again. "Put it back and try again," my friend said. I did, hit it well, putting the ball in an excellent position near the tee and made the putt :) Part of the good news here is my 58° LW seems to work well as a SW.

My hits out of the rough (there were a lot of those), many of them weren't half bad.

Had one hole where I chipped it nearly perfectly out of the rough with my PW, read the slope of the green and made the 12 foot or so putt perfectly.

Lost only four balls in 9 holes.

So... most of my play sucked, but I had several truly rewarding strokes and, most importantly, enjoyed the entire experience--rain and all. My neighbor complemented my play, given it was my first ever time playing.

Now enjoying a celebratory beer and ready to go again tomorrow :)

Most important thing is you had fun. That is the best part of this game

Glad you had a good time, thags the most important thing. And as long as you can be pleased with even how some of your shots went, then it was a good. Keep practicing and getting out there!

Dude!!! I'm so excited for you, man. Can't wait to hear that you got back out there again. Good stuff!!!

banana.gif

Was going to play for the first time tomorrow, with the neighbor to one side of us. At about 10 o'clock this morning the neighbor to the other side--this being the neighbor who precipitated my getting into the game, gave me a call to tell me he'd finished with work for the day early, called one of the local courses, and found we could play. "Do you want to play your first game of golf now?" he asked. Thought about it for a heartbeat, said "Yeah!"

My very first drive off the tee was 165 yards right down the middle of the fairway. I was pretty happy with that, given how badly I'd been hitting with my driver at the range yesterday. Finished the hole with a bogey. Unfortunately it kind of tended to go pretty much downhill after that, but it's all good :)

Got to:
  • Play in the rain
The first bunker I played out of I blew badly. Flubbed the first try and chipped it all the way to the other side of the green and under a pine tree the second try--possibly w/o disturbing a single grain of sand
lol.gif
. The second bunker, though... Flubbed the first try again. "Put it back and try again," my friend said. I did, hit it well, putting the ball in an excellent position near the tee and made the putt :) Part of the good news here is my 58° LW seems to work well as a SW.

My hits out of the rough (there were a lot of those), many of them weren't half bad.

Had one hole where I chipped it nearly perfectly out of the rough with my PW, read the slope of the green and made the 12 foot or so putt perfectly.

So... most of my play sucked, but I had several truly rewarding strokes and, most importantly, enjoyed the entire experience--rain and all. My neighbor complemented my play, given it was my first ever time playing.

Absolutely love it! Sounds like you had fun and are getting along in your game. It's those shots you remember that will keep you out there. 😎

Awesome @MaybeDuffer. So happy for you!

The hardest part is getting frustrated on the course. Remember you are a beginner, and you will inevitably make some bad shots (probably a lot). The key is to quickly forget about the bad shot you just made, and focus on the next shot at hand (not worrying about what happened on the last shot).

At the end of the round, I want you to only think about your best drive, your best iron shot, your best chip/sand shot and your best putt. 4 shots- remember those, and be proud of those shots. forget about all the rest.

That is awesome!!! Glad you had a good time.

Post of the day right there!! Glad you had a good full round - the great shots, the less great, the I can do that better shots, all of it! And had fun despite the rain with an awesome playing partner! Love it. Really happy for you!

Oh man. What a feeling that must have been for you. What we would all give for that again

Enjoy tomorrow

Glad you were able to play and had fun. Good times ahead as well.

Awesome! Great that you got to play.

Great stuff! Love it and glad you had a great time!

Congrats on your first round, and here's to many more! Remember the good shots and don't be frustrated by the bad ones - we all hit them!

Awesome to hear! Like others have said, take away the good shots, and leave the bad shots out, unless there's a funny story to it.

If you had fun with a friend you made a life hole in one. Congrats.

Excited for you! Golf is an amazing game and a great way to enjoy something healthy with friends. Here's to a lifetime of fun for you (y)

Super happy read right here - the fun and frustratingly enjoyable ride lies ahead. Congratulations on the round and here is to many more!

banana.gif

Got to:
  • Play in the rain
lol.gif

Excellent! A couple of good shots in a round is what makes us all go back.

Well done.

Revel in the good shots, forget the bad ones.

Sweet - welcome to the best game on Earth!

Now that is really cool to read! In the beginning it can seem like for every good shot there are multiple bad ones but remember that everybody here started the same way. We swung, we missed. We swung again, moved the ball six inches*. Repeat enough times and somehow this process becomes fun.

You'll look back on today in a year from now (or longer) and smile at how much progress you have made.

* except @OldandStiff (he was a natural)

Awesome stuff! Love your attitude and enthusiasm!

Back