My wedge question?

jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok it's funny how my prioritys with my game have changed. When I first started a year ago it was all about hitting driver. Now I really like everything about the short game.Chipping putting ect. Anyway my question is what's the difference in the wedges that came with my set Nike sq machspeed, pw,aw,Sw. To say a set of 588's or Vokeys? Heck Im not even sure of the degrees on my wedges. Also do those spinner shafts truly help you get more spin on the ball? Do you guys think I would be able to tell a difference if I upgraded my wedge setup? Thanks!

No one knows anything about wedges? I thought I was the only one that didn't know.

I'm probably not the best person to speak about design of golf clubs, but I think there are a few things to think about. Some people like the general design of their set and like to have all of their clubs be the same down through the wedges. I tend to think that these have a little less design to them but people are comfortable with them.

When buying specific wedges they come in so many different lofts and bounces that you can really customize your set. You can choose to have 1 or 2 or 4 and with the specific designs of the wedge may get a little more out of it. Some people alternate their bounce on their wedges or some wedges such as scor/ATV don't have bounce options because of their specialized soles. There is a lot to think about. Plus shafts can be different.

Thanks Frank!

I think you could probably do better with specific wedges but fitting for those wedges outside of something like a Scor / ATV takes someone with more knowledge than myself

Ok it's funny how my prioritys with my game have changed. When I first started a year ago it was all about hitting driver. Now I really like everything about the short game.Chipping putting ect. Anyway my question is what's the difference in the wedges that came with my set Nike sq machspeed, pw,aw,Sw. To say a set of 588's or Vokeys? Heck Im not even sure of the degrees on my wedges. Also do those spinner shafts truly help you get more spin on the ball? Do you guys think I would be able to tell a difference if I upgraded my wedge setup? Thanks!

i bet you could tell the difference. but honestly if you're starting out (not sure of your level of play) i think the wedges that come with those sets are easier to hit. i still use my R11 AW which is 50* and some people carry that as a wedge. so technically im only carrying 2 588 wedges. a 55* and a 60* which i think are great. i may be interested in trying something new next year but i think the 588s are gonna be hard to beat. as for the spinner shafts they do offer some more spin but you still need to make a good swing they aren't the miracle shaft that is gonna have your ball spinning back 10' everytime you stick a green. i think the big question is why do you wanna upgrade your wedge set?

i bet you could tell the difference. but honestly if you're starting out (not sure of your level of play) i think the wedges that come with those sets are easier to hit. i still use my R11 AW which is 50* and some people carry that as a wedge. so technically im only carrying 2 588 wedges. a 55* and a 60* which i think are great. i may be interested in trying something new next year but i think the 588s are gonna be hard to beat. as for the spinner shafts they do offer some more spin but you still need to make a good swing they aren't the miracle shaft that is gonna have your ball spinning back 10' everytime you stick a green. i think the big question is why do you wanna upgrade your wedge set?
Thanks Buck! I want to upgrade because well.. Why not? LOL. No real reason I guess. I have my eye on a 60* 588 on the bay. Maybe I'll just start there and see how it goes. What makes them harder to hit than those than come with a set?

Thanks Buck! I want to upgrade because well.. Why not? LOL. No real reason I guess. I have my eye on a 60* 588 on the bay. Maybe I'll just start there and see how it goes. What makes them harder to hit than those than come with a set?

have you ever used a 60* before? i wouldn't recommend starting with a 60*. They are more difficult to hit consistently. i just think the wedges that come with iron sets are usually easier to hit. less chance of chunking them some of the wedges have a sharper leading edge. but i take huge divots too. i dunno your swing. i know Kmac praises the ATVs saying they are more difficult to chunk. i only swung them a few times at the outing and once on the course when i played with him. like i said if i was gonna change out wedges. id start with like a 56* or your SW. see how you like it then buy more from there. i use my PW, and AW from my R11 and i wouldn't change my PW out maybe my AW but thats my money club so not with these irons at least.

Ok thanks for the advice and tips. I haven't ever hit a 60 which just has me curious I guess. I just thought it may be nice right around the green.

Ok thanks for the advice and tips. I haven't ever hit a 60 which just has me curious I guess. I just thought it may be nice right around the green.

most people won't use it very often. if you really wanted to get a LOB wedge i'd go 58* to start and i think most people here would agree with that. 60* are easy to skull shots if you don't practice them a lot. i know a few of my buddies who wanted one and took them out of their bags shortly after getting them. i love mine but i'm even not using it as much because i want more consistent shots. i even had a 64* for a long time in my bag, but now i just open my 60* when i want to lob a shot somewhere really tight.

Thanks man! You have been very helpfully.. Now go buy a new putter!! LOL

Thanks man! You have been very helpfully.. Now go buy a new putter!! LOL

ok sounds like a plan.... just start small and see how you like it. id get a 56 i think thats a great place to start. always grab another wedge down the road.

I think I'll look around for a 56. That 60 I'm watching on the bay has no bids and 1 day left at .99 cents if it goes cheap enough I may pick that up as well. I'll try anything for 20 bucks. If it doesn't work out I'll just pass it on down.

I have two gap wedges at the moment-a Burner 2.0 gap wedge and an xFT gap wedge-the xFT has a Forged Face with a layer of urethane behind it from what I understand and the profile is much smaller than the burner at address- the xFT has face treatment that supposedly makes the ball spin more but as JB says it really doesn't make a difference.

I've noticed that the burner set wedge is more forgiving but the xFT is more workable and the stock KBS hi-rev is a way better shaft than the stock chart on the burner wedges. I can easily open up the face of tithe my ATV and xFT wedges without a problem but I can't really do it as well with the large cavity back burner.

It's usually up to feel, preference and look at address that makes people go for other wedges.

My new Ping Anser wedges came with DG Spinners and they do provide more spin. This is the first time I was totally dedicated to getting the best wedges for my swing and game. I tried a dozen brands and even more models. My goal was to get wedges that are the most consistent distance-wise, have great feel, and allow me to keep my hands quiet. I want to throw the ball at the pin most of the time or have it spin back 3 feet depending on the pin location. For the first time I can do both because of how these wedges and shafts fit me. Every wedge I've had before rolled out 10+ feet forcing me to account for several variables which made getting up and down very difficult. Now my 52*, 56*, and 60* are my money clubs and my handicap finally dropped below 6 (I was stuck at 6 for 5 years). Now I get up and down 2 more times per round and my sand saves have improved. The right wedges save strokes, it's that simple.

Wedges are very personal clubs and you get what you pay for with them, so I recommend trying a wide variety with different lofts, grinds, and shafts. Test them from 110 yards on in. The right wedges should stand out.

Last edited:
I have a 52, 56, and 60 vokeys. I changed the shafts to the DG spinners and was very surprised my first few rounds. My surprise was that they really lower the trajectory down and they crank up the stopping power. I was playing Pro V1xs and they were chewing up the balls every other hole. I just switched to the TM TP5 and am in new love.

As far as wedges, my single best investment was to get the Dave Pelz short game Bible. It has a ton of good info and really helped me get a game plan for my wedge game. Now, if I get to 100 and in, I feel like I can get up and down every time.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. I've been doing some looking around today for wedges. Haven't bought any yet.

With a blade wedge its easier to open up the face and hit high shots. As for the DG Spinner shaft, some like it, some hate it. I personally like it but Ive talked to A LOT of people who think its a horrible shaft.

jacob, the difference is going to be pretty big. Sole design, weighting, size, shaft, forgiveness, bounce options. Pretty much everything.

The benefits you are going to see from your wedges are 1) more forgiveness due to the sole, cavity and weighthing and 2) constant weight and shaft performance through the set. This should be especially helpful if you are taking a lot of full shots with your wedges. Also, that sole should help negate some of the things that happens when you hit a fat shot.

Where you might lose some performance is in the versatility department. You can open a blade wedge up a little easier and likely could control your trajectory a little better. This is probably up for debate, but I think you'd see a little more consistency in distance and accuracy as well - on well struck shots.

Thanks Hawk!! Great information there. I still haven't bought any wedges.wantong to find some cheap ones to try first.

I previously had some Mizuno MP-T11 and MP-R12 wedges with the spinner shaft. I could tell a difference in the amount of spin I could put on the ball verses my previous Cleveland stock wedge shaft. For 3/4 shots and shorter it worked great. I could really spin it back if I wanted. But full shots were a let down. The ball flight was much too high and I would lose distance. So if you go with a spinner shaft, match it up with a lob wedge or something that you aren't really going to hit a hard full shot with. Personally I would recommend Scor wedges. They come in every loft from 41° to 61° and you can get them to match with your current iron set. They have multiple shafts to chose from and the ball flight is much better on full shots with the way each loft head is uniquely designed. They also have great customer service via chat on their site or by phone. You can just call them up and have a conversation about wedges. Sean will even call you back if he is busy at the moment.

Back