My weird golf journey continues...

Boone

Reaction score
I learned to golf in my early 20's when a college buddy took me out and showed me the basics. I played when I could during my 10 years in the Marine Corps (which wasn't very often), and then in my 30's, played quite a bit with a buddy. He stopped playing and I took about 15 years off until I made a good friend who was a golf addict. Since then, I've been hooked.

Early on, weird as it sounds, I hit my low irons best. I could flush a 3 iron every time. But over the years, for reasons I'll never understand, it got harder and harder for me to consistently hit my irons, first with the long irons, and then even the mid-irons became a challenge. I tried hybrids with only limited success. I tried one length irons, and although I had high hopes, couldn't consistently hit them well. Finally, on a whim, I bought a couple of Cobra woods, a 3W and 5W. Right out of the gate I hit them well and bought a 7W, and since Cobra didn't sell a 9W in that model, I bought another 7W and jacked up the loft to approximate a 9W.

So here I am, approaching my 60th birthday next year, and I can drive the ball decently, hit my woods up from 150 yds and and beyond, and I am a demon with my wedges and putt well. The last remaining major gap in my game - distances between 150 yds and 120 yds or so. Too long for most of my wedges and too short for my woods. This left me pulling out a 6, 7, or 8 iron. Sometimes I'd flush them straight as an arrow, but the confidence just isn't there and I would often mishit them.

I stumbled upon the Pinemeadows website where they sell discounted clubs of all kinds. I'd never heard of them but what caught my eye was that they sell 11W, 13W, and 15W (I went with a model called 'Yukon' as they had the same club head shape as my Cobra woods, and also rails on the bottom, also similar to Cobra). Took them out today and hit some beautiful shots in that 120-150 yd range. I'm going to give it a few more outings, but I'm strongly considering carrying nothing but driver, woods, wedges, and a putter from here on out. I've never seen anyone else do it so I'd be curious if you all have?

I'll probably get some ribbing from my golf buddies, but at this point in my life I have no golf pride or hubris left. I just want to be able to play respectable golf and not have any major gaps in my game. This is my weird golf journey - so far :)

More power to you! Anything that keeps you enjoying your golf journey! 👍

Got to use what works for you

I have to say, I didn’t know what to expect when I purchased the clubs from Pinemeadows. Although you can order custom name brand shafts, I went with their stock senior shafts and grips and the woods were only $69 each, so my expectations were not sky high. But they are very well built and I was pleasantly surprised. I can’t speak to other clubs they sell but the Yukon woods are great quality. I had a good customer service experience (they are having the same delays as many retailers but answered my email super fast with the info I requested).

If they continue to work it sounds like a problem well solved. And a likely conversation starter with anyone who spots them on ya. Enjoy them. (y)

Finding a solution , that makes you smile and enhances the game ,,, is more than the cost spent . The bonus is the intangible confidence and enjoyment it gives ... can you sprinkle some of the success dust this way , 👍🙏🏻

Use whatever clubs you need to get the ball in the hole my friend, there's no pictures on a scorecard.

If it works and helps you enjoy the game, then just keep using them (y)

If that works for you, them play on! If someone has an issue with you carrying a 9W, 11W, or 15W, tell them you'd love to play any club of their choice at their expense.(y)(y)

Let us know how they work on the course for you!

If they work for you, then that's the answer. Heck, if they would see a 5 point drop in their handicap, 99.9% of players would use a bent piece of rebar.

Thanks… believe me, I won’t care about any ribbing I get if my scores keep going lower :) I know I have seen those irons that look more like hybrids in play, but I haven’t run into anyone with only wedges in their bag so was curious if anyone else had?

If they work for you, then that's the answer. Heck, if they would see a 5 point drop in their handicap, 99.9% of players would use a bent piece of rebar.
Where can I get it ? 😳

When I was laid off and searching for affordable clubs last year I found Pinemeadow. Definitely a refutable, affordable golf brand, although maybe not as popular around this forum. My buddy has their mallet putter. OEMs like Tour Edge make "iron-woods" and I think this is a trend that is just beginning. You're just ahead of the curve right now.

Back