Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks to Canadian for the November Fitness thread I’m trying to commit to being more fit. Sometimes it’s tough to stick with it. With that said I’m going to post my workouts in an effort to hold myself accountable and hopefully motivate someone else to do the same. For the record I’ll be 53 in a couple months. I’m 6’3 and 205 lbs.
That said, and I’m sure many know this, as we gracefully age our muscles and strength tend to atrophy if we don’t stress them a bit on a regular basis. This can lead to loss of power and increased risk of injury. So my workouts are fairly quick and simple in many ways, yet very effective.
Due to lack of time, i get my cardio by doing circuit training. These are put together by me, and basically I come up with it as I do it. So the just is 5 movements per rotation with atleast one using resistance bands. Usually a rotational movement since this is a golfers workout.
Feel free to join in and post your thoughts and workouts as well. My goal is 3 workouts per week.

Today’s workout is complete.
Incline bench press
Lat Pull Downs
Incline Dumbell Press
Dumbell Deadlifts
Resistance Band Standing Straight Rotation.

I did 3 sets of the above moving from one right to the other without rest. 2-3 minute break then on to the next set. My heart rate was nice and high but bearable. If there are questions on what any of these are I could make a little video if there is interest.
This takes less then 30 minutes to complete.

I just did 45 minutes on my rowing machine and walked the dog for 30 minutes. I do a light weight workout with 25 lb Kettle balls and resistance bands 2-3 times a week. I am turning 49 in a few months and I will fight Father Time until the end. I am 6’1 and 195. I see a lot of my friends and peers who have given up and turned into tubs of goo....not my plan.

A year ago I joined a functional fitness gym. Basically HIIT, kickboxing, etc. I’m 48. I’ve always worked out since I was young. I’m in the best shape of my life. If I don’t exercise I get skinny fat. I typically burn 800 calories a workout. My before and after pics are eye opening. I just don’t post them.

This morning was another HIIT class. Hard as hell.

Squats, rows, pull downs, dumbbell squats and resistance band shoulder press.

Squats, rows, pull downs, dumbbell squats and resistance band shoulder press.
This is a great thread man. Keep up the hard work!!

Thanks. I need some way to hold myself accountable.
Are you working on specific groups each time? If so, can you label them? I.e., shoulders, legs, etc.

Thanks and keep it up!

Are you working on specific groups each time? If so, can you label them? I.e., shoulders, legs, etc.

Thanks and keep it up!
Yes. A primary and secondary group. Yesterday legs was primary and the back was secondary as a group that is engaged while doing legs. The shoulder movement was more of a filler movement to reach 5 movements. Right now I’m just getting back to working out so I don’t want to do to much on one group at a time. As my body gets acclimated I’ll change it up a little bit. The other thing is core, in this case it’s directly engaged during squats and rows so I didn’t do a specific movement for it.

I was really into working out before I took my current job 3 years ago. Due to my work hours I let that slip away. I have no desire to get back to that now. Simply a fit golf body. It may even help me play better and longer, only time will tell.

Go get em brother!

I'm all about circuit training calestenics. I stick to the main academy workout: pushups, pull ups, sit ups, squats (and variations of same) with run, swim, climb cardio too.

Just started doing spin classes too, super tough.

Keep going!

Go get em brother!

I'm all about circuit training calestenics. I stick to the main academy workout: pushups, pull ups, sit ups, squats (and variations of same) with run, swim, climb cardio too.

Just started doing spin classes too, super tough.

Keep going!
Spin class can be brutal. I used to love doing that. Just don’t have the free time anymore.

This is certainly a good way to do that. You doing any cardio?
Yes but not in the typical aspect. By doing these with no rest it keeps my HR pretty high (155). I am covering a lot of steps daily at work as well.

This thread prompted me to get back to the gym this a.m. So thanks for that Apex. Now I need to reestablish it as a habit!

This thread prompted me to get back to the gym this a.m. So thanks for that Apex. Now I need to reestablish it as a habit!
Establishing that habit it the hard part. That first 2 weeks is key for me. I didn’t want to do it yesterday but I forced myself. After a couple weeks the body is adjusting and begins to crave it so it becomes easier.

Also by starting out with lower demands it is a bit easier since it doesn’t take long. Don’t want to over due it and get overly sore. Leg days always are tough for me. It’s so physically taxing for me. That said it sure makes a difference in the long run. Even doing wall squats goes a long ways and are not a injury rush like barbell squats. I also enjoy the dumbell squats for that.

Glad to hear you are committed to a better you.

Well today was much easier to get going. I was actually looking forward to it. Perhaps yesterday was just because I knew it was leg day. Anyway, today was arms, shoulders and some core work. Again only about 30 minutes but not rest between sets this time.
Tricep extensions, dumbbell curls, dumbbell press, lateral shoulder raise, resistance band rotations and seated leg raises.

After a couple weeks as my body adjusts I’ll up the time and intensity a little bit. I don’t

I use the Fitbod app. Workouts get boring to me after a few weeks and it’s nice to mix it up and hit goals. I turned 43 this year and can feel age starting to try to take over and I refuse to go down without a fight. I’m a little guy at 5’7” but the love handles were trying to creep in ...I’ve been steady at 170lbs for the last year or so

Again today was easier. Being the 4 th day in a row today’s workout was also meant to be fun. With more chest and back work and a bit of rotation work. After each rotation I hit 10 shots into the driving net. Slower pace and more stretch.

60 degree incline dumbbell press
Wide grip lay pull down
Dumbbell dead lift
Resistance band rotations
Barbell bench press
10 swings with the 7 iron

So today was noticeably better all around. I’m feeling a bit more energetic throughout the day. Also not wearing a sweatshirt at work at all, guessing my circulation is getting better.

Today was a rest day as far as the weights go. Lots of walking and stairs at work today. Once home I did some practice in the net. Then rest and relax for 18 tomorrow morning followed by a driver fitting at 1:45. Then another 18 and maybe 36 on Friday.
No lifting on playing days.

Back