Myrtle Beach Area Golf Recommendations

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Better-Half wants to go on a golf trip over spring break. 🔥🔥

I recommended Myrtle Beach or even further south - Hammock Beach. She was fine with going either but I've never been in or golfed in SC. So I think we'll head to Myrtle Beach.

What courses would you recommend? We're thinking we'd golf 18 each day and fly home late. Maybe head down to Pawley Island and stay or stay up in Myrtle and travel a bit.

What are your recommendations?

It won't be long before someone recommends Caledonia and True Blue. I have played all the Barefoot Resort courses as well - they're great.
Those two will be on the list. What about others? TPC of Myrtle?

Pawleys Plantation
Caledonia (if you want to warm up, the range is at True Blue, across the street)
True Blue
Tidewater
Tpc
Barefoot - Love. (Arrive early, you have to take a shuttle to the range, about 3 min each way)

Last edited:
Pawleys Plantation
Caledonia (if you want to warm up, the range is at True Blue, across the street)
True Blue
Tidewater
Tpc
Barefoot - Love. (Arrive early, you have to take a shuttle to the range, about 3 min each way)
Thank you.

Just did some research about this for a trip in April. I settled on Burning Ridge, Pawleys Plantation, Tradition Club, and Wild Wing. Stipulation for the group of 12 was courses between $50-$100 greens fees, hence true blue and Caledonia didn’t make the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are so many good courses in MB that I would need to know where you are staying to make the best recommendations.

South - True Blue, Caledonia, Heritage
Central - Prestwick, Grande Dunes, The Dunes, Surf
North - Tidewater, Farmstead, Thistle

Best suggestion: Go to myrtlebeachgolfpackagers.com and book from them. Best packager in MB.

Never been, but we are going in May. Our plan is True Blue, Caledonia, Legends Heritage, and either Barefoot Love or TPC Myrtle Beach. Haven't locked that arrival day round down yet.

The Dunes Golf and Beach club

I did a golf trip a couple of weeks ago. Started on January 14 and finished on February 6. Usually go to South East Asia this time of year but it is closed for now. I was in Myrtle Beach from January 24th to February 6. Would have played more but got rained out on January 31. Played 17 rounds of golf at the following courses:

Tradition

Caledonia

Crow Creek

MBN West

Sandpiper Bay

True Blue

International Club

Blackmoor

Lockwood Folly

River Club

The Pearl

Pawleys Plantation

Tidewater

Carolina National

Prestwick

Besides these course, I played 11 other rounds in other areas, so my memory is a little hazy. My handicap is 18.5, so keep that in mind when reading my comments. I try to play from 6000 to 6400 yards and 125 to 135 slope if possible.

Most courses were extremely wet. At least 75% were CPO.

Most difficult course was Prestwick

The courses in the worst condition:

Tidewater. Greens were wildly inconsistent. Even the starter said before we started.

Carolina National. Only course I played where none of the grass was green

International Club. Has these little green grasses growing on the green that made the greens extremely bumpy.

Favorite area was Pawleys Island. Enjoyed all the courses in the area. Pawley's Plantation was my favorite. However, True Blue, Caledonia, Prestwick and the Pearl were very close.

Used Brian for 11 of the rounds. Was extremely happy with his service.

I was surprised at how chilly it was. Morning rounds were iffy, afternoon rounds were ok. Part of this trip was to figure out where I want to spend the winters and I have narrowed down to MB or Las Vegas.

Thanks for reading.

I did a golf trip a couple of weeks ago. Started on January 14 and finished on February 6. Usually go to South East Asia this time of year but it is closed for now. I was in Myrtle Beach from January 24th to February 6. Would have played more but got rained out on January 31. Played 17 rounds of golf at the following courses:

Tradition

Caledonia

Crow Creek

MBN West

Sandpiper Bay

True Blue

International Club

Blackmoor

Lockwood Folly

River Club

The Pearl

Pawleys Plantation

Tidewater

Carolina National

Prestwick

Besides these course, I played 11 other rounds in other areas, so my memory is a little hazy. My handicap is 18.5, so keep that in mind when reading my comments. I try to play from 6000 to 6400 yards and 125 to 135 slope if possible.

Most courses were extremely wet. At least 75% were CPO.

Most difficult course was Prestwick

The courses in the worst condition:

Tidewater. Greens were wildly inconsistent. Even the starter said before we started.

Carolina National. Only course I played where none of the grass was green

International Club. Has these little green grasses growing on the green that made the greens extremely bumpy.

Favorite area was Pawleys Island. Enjoyed all the courses in the area. Pawley's Plantation was my favorite. However, True Blue, Caledonia, Prestwick and the Pearl were very close.

Used Brian for 11 of the rounds. Was extremely happy with his service.

I was surprised at how chilly it was. Morning rounds were iffy, afternoon rounds were ok. Part of this trip was to figure out where I want to spend the winters and I have narrowed down to MB or Las Vegas.

Thanks for reading.

interesting that Tidewater was in bad condition. Usually very good, but I guess the wetter winter hasn't allowed them to keep it up..... unfortunate.

When Marc, dad and I made a winter trip to MB 20ish years ago, we played Long Bay(Nicklaus) Wicked Stick(John Daly) and a couple of the cat courses across the border in NC. The only one I remember is Long Bay.

A lot of great recommendations already.

Don't sleep on Willbrook Plantation on Pawley's Island. Some of the best greens we played on, including True Blue and Caledonia. I liked TPC Myrtle as well, they typically overseed in the winter so the conditions were great last time we were there in Feb.

Good morning all - Thank you to all that gave recommendations and to @IndySC for sharing his research. Courses and tee times are set and the boss and I are counting the days until we're in SC.

Here's the list of courses we'll be playing: 5 courses, 4 days. (She likes to golf as much as I!)
  1. True Blue
  2. Caledonia (Fun fact - TB/Caledonia are having a D1 tournament while we're there so they were able to fit us in)
  3. Willbrook Plantation
  4. The Dunes
  5. Glen Dornoch - this was recommended by the guy I was working with - says it's a true SC experience and one of his favs. And free 18 hole replay (I'm probably actually paying for it in having him set the tee times but it makes me feel good :LOL: - and the preview of it on YouTube has a dude talking in a sweet Scottish accent so I'm in!)
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Again - thank you to all that gave recs.

Good morning all - Thank you to all that gave recommendations and to @IndySC for sharing his research. Courses and tee times are set and the boss and I are counting the days until we're in SC.

Here's the list of courses we'll be playing: 5 courses, 4 days. (She likes to golf as much as I!)
  1. True Blue
  2. Caledonia (Fun fact - TB/Caledonia are having a D1 tournament while we're there so they were able to fit us in)
  3. Willbrook Plantation
  4. The Dunes
  5. Glen Dornoch - this was recommended by the guy I was working with - says it's a true SC experience and one of his favs. And free 18 hole replay (I'm probably actually paying for it in having him set the tee times but it makes me feel good :LOL: - and the preview of it on YouTube has a dude talking in a sweet Scottish accent so I'm in!)
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Again - thank you to all that gave recs.
That's a great looking lineup there. Have a blast!

Pawleys Plantation was really nice (about 40 minutes south and well worth the drive). The Dunes was really nice (private), TPC Myrtle and the World Tour of Golf are what we played. All nice courses. World Tour of Golf was nice but a little disappointing.

Pawleys Plantation was really nice (about 40 minutes south and well worth the drive). The Dunes was really nice (private), TPC Myrtle and the World Tour of Golf are what we played. All nice courses. World Tour of Golf was nice but a little disappointing.
Thanks. We've got the following lined up:
  1. True Blue
  2. Caledonia
  3. Willbrook Plantation
  4. The Dunes
  5. Glen Dornoch

When Marc, dad and I made a winter trip to MB 20ish years ago, we played Long Bay(Nicklaus) Wicked Stick(John Daly) and a couple of the cat courses across the border in NC. The only one I remember is Long Bay.

A lot of great recommendations already.
10lb-2__large.jpg

Long Bay #10

I used to go every fall with a group of guys. Haven't been for some time.

The Better-Half wants to go on a golf trip over spring break. 🔥🔥

I recommended Myrtle Beach or even further south - Hammock Beach. She was fine with going either but I've never been in or golfed in SC. So I think we'll head to Myrtle Beach.

What courses would you recommend? We're thinking we'd golf 18 each day and fly home late. Maybe head down to Pawley Island and stay or stay up in Myrtle and travel a bit.

What are your recommendations?
People say Myrtle....but I look at it as several spots. Predominantly where ever you pick you want to try to stay in that general area. It's a haul from one end of Myrtle[North] to the other Pawleys. So if you start by saying Caledonia and True Blue are 2 of your go to's...I'd stick to that end for the rest. I love Tidewater but it is a haul north of the area for Cali/TB. TPC Myrtle is very nice and in the area. Dunes is fantastic and about the 1/2 way point of the n/s area. Pawleys is OK.
A plan B could be Barefoot...Stay and play just there. All the courses are nice. Enjoy.

Been going to MB since 1968 as a teenager. I have played everything down there at least twice, public and private. One course south that I really like a lot is Heritage. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. If you get a chance play it you won't be disappointed.

Been going to MB since 1968 as a teenager. I have played everything down there at least twice, public and private. One course south that I really like a lot is Heritage. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. If you get a chance play it you won't be disappointed.
thank you.

One of our favourite courses to play when we go down.

Back