Myrtle Beach Courses

Inferno2ss

Reaction score
Handicap
Going to be spending a week at Myrtle Beach in March and could use some recommendations on a few courses to play while I am out there. I did some google searches, but the number of courses in the area is a bit overwhelming.

I would love to play something nice that has a few holes along the water if possible.

Last edited:
Part of it will depend on where you are staying. If I can choose any course, it is most likely Caledonia though.

We will be near the Broadway Grand Prix

Tidewater and Dunes Golf & Beach Club get my vote.

Pawleys Plantation has some marsh inlet views too.

I'm actually going to Myrtle Beach next March with a group of people also and we're looking at Caledonia, True Blue, Pawley's Plantation and Heritage if we can fit in a fourth round. There are a ton of good options around that area it seems like. We were looking hard at the Barefoot Resort courses which would be closer to where you are going to be. If you have the time though take the trip down to play Caledonia, it's a phenomenal course. The drive up to the clubhouse is one of the coolest in the country IMO.

Lots of great golf courses to consider along with cost considerations.... The Dunes, MB National, Fazio course at Barefoot on the high end, The Witch, River Hills are value courses

In March, TPC Myrtle Beach is one of very few courses who overseed entirely which is nice break from the brown Bermuda.

I also love Caledonia.

have fun out there!

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like some good options, appreciate it.

Double check to see what “special event” might be going on in town that week. That can affect travel times to various courses depending on where you’re staying. For example- if you are up near Barefoot, and there is something going on in town, you might want to avoid the southern courses to avoid sitting in traffic. Or if you are on the southern end, avoid the northern ones. Hotels don’t always reveal what’s going on unless you ask.
But anyway- would recommend The Dunes, and any of the Barefoot courses. We enjoyed Possum Trot on our arrival day to get warmed up. I also liked Heathland and Moorland along with The Wizard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back from MB and had a mixed bag of weather, but great golf. We played Wild Wing, The Witch and sister course Man o War. MOW has plenty of water, challenging but really fun. We also played Farmstead which was really a challenge. Luckily we had a club member with us who was a great guide. The 18th hole is a Par 6, with water in play. Well worth course to play.

I have always liked King's North.

It's been a couple of years since I have been to Myrtle, but I always liked.....

Man O' War
Long Bay
Heather Glen (up north)
TideWater
All 3 of the Legends courses

Possum Trot I believe had its last day on Thursday Oct 31 st.. From what we were told last week it was closing to build homes and condos. The Witch is in its final year for the same reason. Local residents and club members are trying to fight it. But apparently it might be a losing battle. We witnessed a lot of construction going on all along MB. Apparently they can’t build them fast enough.

Possum Trot I believe had its last day on Thursday Oct 31 st.. From what we were told last week it was closing to build homes and condos. The Witch is in its final year for the same reason. Local residents and club members are trying to fight it. But apparently it might be a losing battle. We witnessed a lot of construction going on all along MB. Apparently they can’t build them fast enough.
The Witch is closing!!?? NO WAY!! EEEEFFFFFF!!! That’s a great course with lots of character. I doubt I will get back to MB to play it one more time before it closes.

Fun fact: The Witch is the reason I ALWAYS carry bug spray in my golf bag now. Played one September afternoon and my legs were on fire after about 4 holes. The mosquitos in that swamp are brutal!!

So anyway to the OPs original question, go play the Witch if you can. Fun course.

Lots of great places to play- Tidewater, Caledonia, Dunes club, Legends Pawleys plantation. Look for coupons and discounts for replays at PGA Superstore and newspaper

The Witch is closing!!?? NO WAY!! EEEEFFFFFF!!! That’s a great course with lots of character. I doubt I will get back to MB to play it one more time before it closes.

Fun fact: The Witch is the reason I ALWAYS carry bug spray in my golf bag now. Played one September afternoon and my legs were on fire after about 4 holes. The mosquitos in that swamp are brutal!!

So anyway to the OPs original question, go play the Witch if you can. Fun course.
I looked into this a little this weekend and it appears there may be plans to develop The Wizard, a sister course of The Witch. I couldn’t find anything regarding development of The Witch. I’ve never played The Wizard or Man O War but all the Mystical Golf Courses generally have good reviews.

MB is all about playing near where you are staying. They pitch it as 100 +/- courses but from North side to South side is well over an hour. On the south side Pawleys Island area....The best courses are Caledonia, True Blue, TPC. More in middle area best are Dunes and the Barefoot courses. North side best is Tidewater. Those courses are the best and ultimately the priciest. I just returned from playing Caledonia, TB, Dunes, Reserve[private] and TPC. I'd rate em as I listed them. But they are all very nice with many holes on water.

It looks like our group is going to be playing Caledonia, True Blue and Pawleys Plantation when we're there in March. I'm pumped because Caledonia is visually outstanding and True Blue is an absolute blast to play.

Just booked our hotel for four days in early February. This will be my wife and I's fifth trip down there and the third couples retreat with good friends of ours (we all play). Playing a minimum of 72 holes, just trying to figure out where. Thistle is likely one as my friend wants to try it. I want to play True Blue (played Caledonia last time and loved it). In the four previous times, I've played one repeat course and would like to continue that as I love playing new courses down there. Looking forward to it, as it's always a good time.

Caledonia, Tidewater, Thistle, and True Blue would be my reccos. I didn't care for Barefoot Dye or TPC Myrtle Beach.

Back