Naples/Ft Myers THP'ers

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I'll be in the Naples area from this weekend though the 13th, 1st round already booked at Pelican Marsh but hoping to get at least 1 or 2 more rounds in while I'm there.

Anyone interested for a meet up?

I'll be in the Naples area from this weekend though the 13th, 1st round already booked at Pelican Marsh but hoping to get at least 1 or 2 more rounds in while I'm there.

Anyone interested for a meet up?
I'm heading down and should arrive on the 2nd, and will be in town until the 15th. I'd be happy to join you for a round of golf!

I'm heading down and should arrive on the 2nd, and will be in town until the 15th. I'd be happy to join you for a round of golf!
I take it you're not a local like me? I have a couple of courses I play, purely for fun and cost.
Let's make something happen!

If either of you could make the drive, check out https://www.thenationalgcc.com/

It's a great track about 30 minutes of so east of Bonita Springs. I play most of my rounds there in March.

Hurricane Ian might make things interesting this week down there.

If either of you could make the drive, check out https://www.thenationalgcc.com/

It's a great track about 30 minutes of so east of Bonita Springs. I play most of my rounds there in March.
Based on what I can see it appears they may only be public access until the 30th of September...

I take it you're not a local like me? I have a couple of courses I play, purely for fun and cost.
Let's make something happen!
Correct, I am not local but am travelling with two who have homes in Bonita Springs. I purchase the SWFL PGA pass for $30 which gets you access to roughly 70 courses in the area.
If you want something along the same tenure as Pelican Marsh I would suggest (in no particular order):
- The Colony (one of the best conditioned courses I have ever played)
- Heritage Bay
- Olde Cypress
- TPC Treviso Bay

We haven't planned anything amongst ourselves as of yet, why don't we shoot for something around Thursday 6/Friday 7? Maybe we can get a couple others to join us....

Correct, I am not local but am travelling with two who have homes in Bonita Springs. I purchase the SWFL PGA pass for $30 which gets you access to roughly 70 courses in the area.
If you want something along the same tenure as Pelican Marsh I would suggest (in no particular order):
- The Colony (one of the best conditioned courses I have ever played)
- Heritage Bay
- Olde Cypress
- TPC Treviso Bay

We haven't planned anything amongst ourselves as of yet, why don't we shoot for something around Thursday 6/Friday 7? Maybe we can get a couple others to join us....
My access to Pelican Marsh is through a friend who has access as he volunteers to cut holes on the weekends.
I take my local, non-golfer family to play & learn at Bonita Fairways, fun little short track

Based on what I can see it appears they may only be public access until the 30th of September...

Could be into October, I looked further out and can make one for October 4th. $60 per until 12pm, then $50.

I doubt anyone will be on a golf course in thise areas after the hurricane. No power fort myers for maybe weeks ir longer. Naples flood damage, power issues and drinking water in both cities is rare for some weeks.

My BIL and SIL have a place in Cape Coral. They probably lost the house, the boat might be ok, might. I doubt any courses will be open anytime soon

My BIL and SIL have a place in Cape Coral. They probably lost the house, the boat might be ok, might. I doubt any courses will be open anytime soon
My daughter is in cape coral about a mile from pine island sound and thank god their builder built their home 14 feet above normal ground level. They had roof damage and the pool enclosure is total missing and all the steel windows and doors panels protected the inside. But no power or water for weeks and weeks

Mother in law & family are northeast naples, everyone ok thankfully.
Power restoration is the main one now, seems that majority of outage is south of Immokalee (which she is)

Mother in law & family are northeast naples, everyone ok thankfully.
Power restoration is the main one now, seems that majority of outage is south of Immokalee (which she is)

After Irma in 2017 it took 9 days to get our power back on 2.5 miles north of downtown Naples. I expect some will be without power much longer this time as the storm surge was much worse.

After Irma in 2017 it took 9 days to get our power back on 2.5 miles north of downtown Naples. I expect some will be without power much longer this time as the storm surge was much worse.
I’ve heard “longer” as the substations that were built inland to avoid flooding……got flooded.

I’ve heard “longer” as the substations that were built inland to avoid flooding……got flooded.

Lol, no doubt. The storm surge was almost twice as high as the previous record and Naples got off easy compared to the Fort Myers coastal area. The lobby at our condo had 4.5 feet of water in it. It was built in 1968 and has never had more than an inch or two of water in it from a hurricane or other storm. Many of the power meters were flooded at 5 feet off the ground and will need to be replaced along with many breaker boxes which are mostly located in the garages/ground level of the buildings. We are being told that restoring power could easily take 2+ weeks we will have worker and supply constraints that could turn that into months. Our building manager is being told 3-5 weeks before the elevators will be operational - they have to be inspected after they are repaired. Not good for all the 65 and older like my wife’s mom who just had a knee replacement and lives on the 6th floor. Her condo is her only home but we are happy to have her stay with us in MN for weeks or months until she can go back to her building. My buddies car that was parked next to ours was found on Gulf Shore Blvd 100 yards away from it’s parking spot. All the cars are obviously totaled.

These are all first world problems - many in Florida have lost everything and I fear the death toll will climb rapidly over the next week as they dig out from the devastation.

Last edited:
Ave Maria that I mentioned will be open from tomorrow.

Tracking the power outage for collier County has the restored power at almost 50% back which if the damage to the grid was that significant, they're doing an amazing job to get it back.

I talked to both homeowners yesterday and we made the decision to delay our departure by at least a week. Both properties remained dry, however neither one currently has power - they are both awaiting confirmation of restoration before they depart.

It goes back to my previous comment about being selfish: many. many people experienced major damage to their homes and I'm going to try and take a vacation just around the corner. Rest assured when we do get the green light to head down my truck will be stocked with bottled water, non-perishables and possibly extra jerry-cans of fuel which I will have no issue leaving with locals who can use it.

I talked to both homeowners yesterday and we made the decision to delay our departure by at least a week. Both properties remained dry, however neither one currently has power - they are both awaiting confirmation of restoration before they depart.

It goes back to my previous comment about being selfish: many. many people experienced major damage to their homes and I'm going to try and take a vacation just around the corner. Rest assured when we do get the green light to head down my truck will be stocked with bottled water, non-perishables and possibly extra jerry-cans of fuel which I will have no issue leaving with locals who can use it.
We got canceled & rebooked for next week, power still a huge factor with the infrastructure in bad shape.
Golf will be a secondary to making sure our people are safe

Back