Naples/Marco Island area: Good Family Vacation?

JLit

Reaction score
Handicap
Once again my Floridian THPers, I come to you for advice. Seems this is a little more laid back area for a nice relaxing vacation. Looks as if the golf is abundant for me, but how are the beaches, shopping, etc. for the wife and kids?

If you've ever been to both Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, we're much more the latter than the former for comparison.

We haven't taken a family vacation to Florida and are really wanting to get out of our SC rut and try something new. The Everglades are certainly intriguing.

I really enjoyed the Naples beach. Easy access. They have a neat little strip downtown with shops and restaurants too.

Did the everglades as well and it was a cool day trip.

Naples (location dependent) is a great place to vacation. Hawk is right and is talking about a road called 5th that is one strip of restaurants and shops in Old Naples. There are a few areas like that too, which is nice. While I prefer Sarasota/Siesta Key, you cant go wrong with Naples.

Are there any must-play courses in the area? Any to steer clear at all costs? Looking like some attractive pricing, even in the mornings.

Are there any must-play courses in the area? Any to steer clear at all costs? Looking like some attractive pricing, even in the mornings.

Im not the guy to help with golf in Naples. When we go down there, we don't play, instead we dine and enjoy the scenery and shopping. I can tell you looking back at your first post, Naples will be absolutely NOTHING like Myrtle Beach. Closer to Hilton Head, but a bit more upscale in many areas.

For a vacation that involves golf, I would strongly consider the Siesta Key area compared to Naples. Both are awesome although most would tell you that Siesta Key has the better beach. Great dining and shopping in both, but golf is better in Sarasota (in my opinion).

Either way you are in good hands. At this time of year (its the offseason), golf rates will be dirt cheap.

I'm certainly liking the comparison to HH instead of MB. Golf is really only secondary unfortunately, as neither the wife or oldest daughter play, so the beaches, shopping, dining, and scenery take higher priority. Sounds like this may be the nice, relaxing, laid-back type of spot we're looking for.

We went to the Keys once when I was a teenager and I remember really enjoying our time in the Everglades, so I'm certainly looking forward to that.

Any restaurants you recommend? We typically will do one or two nice dinners with a bunch of more affordable mid-priced burger/deli type places to keep the cost down.

There are a TON of options. Again, if this was Sarasota/Siesta Key, I would be able to help more there.
FWIW, I like both areas a lot, but definitely prefer Sarasota/Siesta Key.
Neither of them are anything like Myrtle Beach. That is old time tourist destination. These FL areas you are looking at are much classier destinations in just about every way. The flip side is you are not going to find a lot of theme parks and dinner shows (not my thing at all, but some like them).
Both of these are considered upscale residential areas with world class beaches.

I am with JB. It is hard to beat the Sarasota / Siesta Key area. Love down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the info guys! With all the high praise for the Sarasota/Siesta Key area, we'll certainly keep that one on the radar for future trips. No options there this time through our vacation voucher, so Naples it is. Really looking forward to the Gulf beaches, and of course, the golf.

If anyone else stops in to read with any course or dining info in the Naples/Marco Island area, I'm all ears. Please drop some knowledge!

Thanks again!

Back