Nashville Hot Chicken

Big fan of Nashville Hot Chicken here. As someone who goes to Nashville on a pretty regular basis, I find that most places dont get it right though. Ive tried the KFC Nashville Hot and its OK but its not the same.
Theres a local chain here in Columbus called, "Hot Chicken Takeover" and their's is pretty close but the spice level is still not like it is in Nashville. You pretty much have to get the hottest spice level they offer and even then, its still a medium spice level in Nashville.
I’ve heard of people ordering “extra holy” but I’ve not tried it myself.

I tried the KFC Nashville Hot chicken a couple of months ago. I didn't really care for it, but I would like to try it again at a different KFC.

A Gus' fried chicken just opened maybe 7 blocks from me. I don't know if it will survive the covid crisis but I will probably get take out/delivery once a week in support.

same here with KFC being where I tried the "Nashville hot". Would be nice to try this at a good BBQ restaurant

A Gus' fried chicken just opened maybe 7 blocks from me. I don't know if it will survive the covid crisis but I will probably get take out/delivery once a week in support.

Run there.
I say that because after eating it, you will walk slowly home.
Absolutely fantastic.

Run there.
I say that because after eating it, you will walk slowly home.
Absolutely fantastic.

Yes, thanks to you and True Temper I knew how good it was. I have told several people to go, but timing has not helped.... I just want the deep fried pecan pie with a side of ice cream... oh man it is 7am and I am drooling at my desk.

I'm a fan of the variations I've had so far. We have a semi-local joint in the area that is supposed to have a solid offering, I might order some carryout today from them.

Yes, thanks to you and True Temper I knew how good it was. I have told several people to go, but timing has not helped.... I just want the deep fried pecan pie with a side of ice cream... oh man it is 7am and I am drooling at my desk.

I forgot about that. That was a great night.

I think there was a popeye's commercial one time... or maybe it was KFC..

No one legitimate enough to give it a shot.
As others here have attested, come to Columbus when this is all over and go to Hot Chicken Takeover.

Oh my goodness I have had me some Hot Chicken as good as Hattie B’s in quite some time!!!

What is it? And do they serve it at Kiki's Chicken and Waffles? There's one of those nearby me and it's pretty good.

What is it? And do they serve it at Kiki's Chicken and Waffles? There's one of those nearby me and it's pretty good.

Here ya go.

The legend goes like this: In the 1930s, James Thornton Prince of Nashville, Tennessee, was a married man with a thing for other women. After one late night out too many, his lover at the time grew so resentful of his lecherous behavior that she decided to take revenge. She prepared him a plate of fried chicken like he always enjoyed, but after removing the crispy meat from the oil, she tossed it in tablespoons of cayenne pepper until it was coated in a hellishly hot, fire-engine-red glaze. She served Mr. Prince his meal and waited for the coughing and the tears. But they didn’t come. He loved the chicken.

Unfortunately, not enough to stick around long, or to honor his actual wife, but it did inspire him to open Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack, a fried chicken joint that specialized in brutally spicy fried chicken. The restaurant, which opened in 1945, was an instant hit and has spawned dozens of competitors and corporate appropriators. But the original Prince’s is still around, an icon in Nashville’s black community, and if you ask most hot chicken hounds, they’ll tell you the original is still the best out there.

I think one of the favorite parts for both my wife and I's Nashville trip was the hot chicken. That stuff was so good!

Here ya go.

The legend goes like this: In the 1930s, James Thornton Prince of Nashville, Tennessee, was a married man with a thing for other women. After one late night out too many, his lover at the time grew so resentful of his lecherous behavior that she decided to take revenge. She prepared him a plate of fried chicken like he always enjoyed, but after removing the crispy meat from the oil, she tossed it in tablespoons of cayenne pepper until it was coated in a hellishly hot, fire-engine-red glaze. She served Mr. Prince his meal and waited for the coughing and the tears. But they didn’t come. He loved the chicken.

Unfortunately, not enough to stick around long, or to honor his actual wife, but it did inspire him to open Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack, a fried chicken joint that specialized in brutally spicy fried chicken. The restaurant, which opened in 1945, was an instant hit and has spawned dozens of competitors and corporate appropriators. But the original Prince’s is still around, an icon in Nashville’s black community, and if you ask most hot chicken hounds, they’ll tell you the original is still the best out there.
Thanks @JB! I was not aware this existed... and good thing too. I'm not one for cayenne pepper so I'll pass.

I’ve heard of people ordering “extra holy” but I’ve not tried it myself.
Me either. Holy works just fine for me. Heck, when we go to Nashville and get hot chicken are Prince's, I get warm and Im happy. LOL

I love Hot Chicken here in Nashville...
A lot of great places... Prince’s > Hattie B’s

There is a hole in the wall Hot Chicken place near the Opry Land Hotel called Scoreboard and it’s very good.

Big fan of the Nash hot chicken. A local place up here in Jax has a great rendition of the hot chicken sandwich. It is fire literaly and figuratively.

I love Hot Chicken here in Nashville...
A lot of great places... Prince’s > Hattie B’s

There is a hole in the wall Hot Chicken place near the Opry Land Hotel called Scoreboard and it’s very good.

Holy crap, TB and I were going to go to Scoreboard and didnt.

The Deep Fried pecan pie sounds very interesting!

I want to try a real Nashville hot chicken sandwich from the birth place.

The Deep Fried pecan pie sounds very interesting!

I want to try a real Nashville hot chicken sandwich from the birth place.

When real life resumes a trip down is well worth it. Deep fried pecan pie will be on my final meal.

I need to get back to Nashville for some hot chicken. KFC is the place around here that I know of at the moment that has hot chicken. That’s like having a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich somewhere other than Philly.

Back