National Coin Shortage - turn in your putting green money markers!

2020 has really delivered - you never know what's next! Maybe we could throw in an insect plague and an asteroid strike just for good measure?

2020 has really delivered - you never know what's next! Maybe we could throw in an insect plague and an asteroid strike just for good measure?

To be clear on my other post - it wasn't getting rid of all currency, but I thought I had read somewhere that if we got rid of pennies and rounded everything up that it could save the country a bunch of money.

I may be wrong on that.

Sounds reasonable. I've read before that it costs more than $0.01 to mint a penny. Seems like a cost effective plan to get rid of them. We never used them when I was stationed in Turkey. Just round up/down to the nearest nickel and call it a day.

To be clear on my other post - it wasn't getting rid of all currency, but I thought I had read somewhere that if we got rid of pennies and rounded everything up that it could save the country a bunch of money.

I may be wrong on that.

I think that may be true also because it costs more than 1 cent to produce a penny.

Right? Even slot machines don't take coins anymore.

This is my problem. They don't take any coin in but the tickets guests redeem contain change that needs to be paid out at the cage. So no coin in but a lot paid out daily.

I only found out about this coin shortage this morning when I went to try and get some change for work. Wells Fargo wouldn’t give us a single quarter, business account holders only. How is there a national coin shortage???? Isn’t everyone using less cash at the moment and more card transactions?

I only found out about this coin shortage this morning when I went to try and get some change for work. Wells Fargo wouldn’t give us a single quarter, business account holders only. How is there a national coin shortage???? Isn’t everyone using less cash at the moment and more card transactions?
One of the MOST CORRUPT banks out there with respect to the 2008 meltdown.
"Business accounts" mean friends of their particular mob.

Damn dude you should put the bottle down and take a break lol.
I've been the canary in the coal mine long enough to expect that retort. Every. Single. Time. A very well conditioned response. It's working.
I just came back from a 2 mile walk. ;)

Too funny. I’m not that old.

I just got a debit card / ATM card a couple months ago. Had to go to direct deposit if I wanted to continue to be paid. I don’t like it. Previously, I received a paper paycheck every week.

Anywhere you go in the world a dollar is a coin....So the good ole USA mints vast amounts of dollar coins....Billions of them sit in wharehouses….The economic review shows coins last much longer and are a better choice....We dropped the ball on that.
We have had a dollar coin here in Canada since 1987 (holy cow has it really been that long) and they also switched to a two dollar coin in 1996. I heard rumours for a while that the five dollar bill was going to go this way also, but then we introduced plastic bills. I'm glad they didn't switch, as it is I can get home at the end of the day and easily have $30 in coins in my pocket. I believe coins cost more initially to mint, however the life span is many times that of a bill.

Most retail outlets around here have signage stating "electronic payment is preferred in order to protect staff however cash is still accepted". I actually cringe now when I see someone using cash or coin.

In a truly Canadian stereotype, the Beer Store had to start accepting return of empties earlier than desired because the brewers were running out of bottles.

This might be even stranger than toilet paper.
I don't know, at least there is a good explanation for the coin shortage. I STILL don't know why folks started hoarding TP.

I'm going to go on Ebay and start flipping my coins. $1.15 for a dollar worth of quarters, $1.25 for a dollar of dimes, etc. My wife and I were talking about this last night, I easily have several hundred dollars in coins currently. Looks like my laziness finally paid off!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
we have a few places here in town that are rounding down to get you currency back..
ive also read the coronavirus was the perfect opportunity to end physical money and get everyone electronically tracked.

A few stores around a going the "plastic only" route. No cash, coins, or checks. Gift cards are even replacing travelers checks.

Times, they are changing.

So, what has caused the coin shortage in the first place?

Bank has told me because of COVID more consumers are buying online and/or using cards creating a shortage. At my place of employment, coin delivery has been limited by the banks significantly.

Yes, and the lobbies were closed, at least here, for quite a while, so businesses couldn't replenish their stock of change. I use my debit card for nearly all purchases any more, except for something very small, like a newspaper for 75 cents. When I buy groceries, the last thing I want to do is hand the cashier money, and have them hand me back change. Money and schools are the two most effective disease spreading mechanisms invented by man!

One world currency... happening, unfortunately. FDIC UDC, OMG, whatever it is backed by is just a front door. The back door will open soon.

Kind of like shaft flex, driving irons, partial wedge shots, low lofted driver's for high SS...nobody listens but it all comes true. Haha

Last edited:
I'm going to go on Ebay and start flipping my coins. $1.15 for a dollar worth of quarters, $1.25 for a dollar of dimes, etc. My wife and I were talking about this last night, I easily have several hundred dollars in coins currently. Looks like my laziness finally paid off!
I remember an episode of "Pawn Stars" where the "old man" had just barrels and barrels of pennies around. He knew what was up.
The episode of course followed the narrative of turning it all in.
And now Rick advertises "life lock."

If you guys aren't aware of the brick and mortar bank mob and the piggy bank mob, then you're clearly not paying attention. This is happening right underneath your noses, kids. It's time to pick a side. 😈
I bet the Tooth Fairy is in on it as well

Something is telling me that stores really just want everyone to use credit/debit and don’t want to argue with cash paying individuals. So, you say sorry due to national coin shortage we can only accept credit at this time.

Easy way to get out of any arguments. Smart people.

I saw a sign at a place tonight saying no change given. Weird.

Back