There has been quite a bit of discussion in this thread about why the NBA’s viewership is down. Personally, I think the biggest reason is because LeBron began what is now an entrenched trend of the very best players forming super teams in the League’s perceived glitziest marketplaces. I was reading this morning that out of 17 players in the League who have made All NBA first team, 10 of them play in either L.A., New York or San Francisco. 7 of the 17 players are spread across 25 franchises.

This ability to form a super team, such as what LeBron has now down in multiple cities, or what has happened with the Nets is damaging excitement for the League in other cities. A team like my Utah Jazz has virtually no chance ever to win a championship in today’s NBA. Those days ended when Tim Duncan’s career wound down. Any NFL team can rise to the top and do it fairly quickly. No other league is as star driven as the NBA and because small market teams can no longer keep their true super stars, they are shut out of the competition. Bird, Magic, MJ, Nowitzki, Kobe and Tim Duncan stayed with the teams that drafted them for their entire careers. LeBron, Durant, Leonard and Kylie Irving have each moved to new teams at least two times each.

There has been quite a bit of discussion in this thread about why the NBA’s viewership is down. Personally, I think the biggest reason is because LeBron began what is now an entrenched trend of the very best players forming super teams in the League’s perceived glitziest marketplaces. I was reading this morning that out of 17 players in the League who have made All NBA first team, 10 of them play in either L.A., New York or San Francisco. 7 of the 17 players are spread across 25 franchises.

This ability to form a super team, such as what LeBron has now down in multiple cities, or what has happened with the Nets is damaging excitement for the League in other cities. A team like my Utah Jazz has virtually no chance ever to win a championship in today’s NBA. Those days ended when Tim Duncan’s career wound down. Any NFL team can rise to the top and do it fairly quickly. No other league is as star driven as the NBA and because small market teams can no longer keep their true super stars, they are shut out of the competition.
The Warriors demise has also contributed, I think. Their following was incredible during their dominant run. From a personal perspective, the Sixers are in a good spot in the local market, but I’m not sure they’ve really broken through nationally despite Joel Embiid having an MVP-level season. And then there’s Damian Lillard who is kind of hidden away in Portland. If he was in New York or LA, he’d have a much larger national presence.

Ignoring the non-basketball noise, the league (and all sports) is in a curious time. They are waaay ahead of other major sports leagues in creative outreach, engaging fans through social media. I hope this will create more parity in the league and drive more publicity to smaller market teams.

This ability to form a super team, such as what LeBron has now down in multiple cities, or what has happened with the Nets is damaging excitement for the League in other cities. A team like my Utah Jazz has virtually no chance ever to win a championship in today’s NBA. Those days ended when Tim Duncan’s career wound down. Any NFL team can rise to the top and do it fairly quickly. No other league is as star driven as the NBA and because small market teams can no longer keep their true super stars, they are shut out of the competition. Bird, Magic, MJ, Nowitzki, Kobe and Tim Duncan stayed with the teams that drafted them for their entire careers. LeBron, Durant, Leonard and Kylie Irving have each moved to new teams at least two times each.
This is definitely one aspect, but I also think its part of a bigger narrative as well and this applies to all professional sports at some level.

Two thrilling wins for my teams tonight. Sixers and Blazers with big come from behind winds. Wow!

The Warriors demise has also contributed, I think. Their following was incredible during their dominant run. From a personal perspective, the Sixers are in a good spot in the local market, but I’m not sure they’ve really broken through nationally despite Joel Embiid having an MVP-level season. And then there’s Damian Lillard who is kind of hidden away in Portland. If he was in New York or LA, he’d have a much larger national presence.

Ignoring the non-basketball noise, the league (and all sports) is in a curious time. They are waaay ahead of other major sports leagues in creative outreach, engaging fans through social media. I hope this will create more parity in the league and drive more publicity to smaller market teams.
This is definitely part of it. But the players don't seem to give any craps out about the fans first and foremost but a lot of time they don't care about the games themselves. I gave up my Warriors tickets because the last year at Oakland was so expensive and the move to Chase was going to cost me triple for the same seats and and 2 hours to my to and from time. I just couldn't stick with it any longer. Still love my dubs on TV but couldn't justify prices when I don't even know if the other stars on the opponents are even going to show up and play. Last season of tickets I had Harden and Kawaii sit with no notice until an hour before.

Joel Embiid turned 27 yesterday and I had a buddy mention that he’s 16 days older than Jo. It just made me chuckle since he’s spent most of his life in the Philly area whereas Jo moved from Cameroon to the US when he was in high school. Amazingly Jo has only been playing basketball for 12 years and been in the US for 11.

And also on the floor tonight you have Ben Simmons who moved from Australia to the US as a teenager and the Antetokounmpo brothers who are originally from Greece. It’s cool how international the NBA can be.

Joel Embiid turned 27 yesterday and I had a buddy mention that he’s 16 days older than Jo. It just made me chuckle since he’s spent most of his life in the Philly area whereas Jo moved from Cameroon to the US when he was in high school. Amazingly Jo has only been playing basketball for 12 years and been in the US for 11.

And also on the floor tonight you have Ben Simmons who moved from Australia to the US as a teenager and the Antetokounmpo brothers who are originally from Greece. It’s cool how international the NBA can be.
Other than soccer, is there another sport that is more popular internationally? This is why I don’t agree with those predicting the demise of the NBA. If it can figure out a good way to have franchises in other countries, the sky is the limit.

Other than soccer, is there another sport that is more popular internationally? This is why I don’t agree with those predicting the demise of the NBA. If it can figure out a good way to have franchises in other countries, the sky is the limit.
As a team sport, it has to be soccer and basketball. I went to the Philippines last year and it was unreal how popular basketball was. It was almost as though you could always see a second court from the one you were standing on. And there were people playing on all of them! Really hope the league continues its global reach using social media and players passionate about growing the game.

I love this commercial!

Sitting here listening to the Blazers game while the announced very politely try to explain why the officials are reviewing an off-ball foul. Went to Twitter and instantly learned it was a low blow. And this is why I could never do color commentary or play by play.

Sitting here listening to the Blazers game while the announced very politely try to explain why the officials are reviewing an off-ball foul. Went to Twitter and instantly learned it was a low blow. And this is why I could never do color commentary or play by play.
They didn't use the canned reference of taking a shot to the unmentionables?

They didn't use the canned reference of taking a shot to the unmentionables?
I think by the time they got around to it I had given up and was searching Twitter.

As I have posted previously, I always hate to get my hopes up with my Jazz. The wheels are looking very wobbly right now.

As I have posted previously, I always hate to get my hopes up with my Jazz. The wheels are looking very wobbly right now.
Sometimes it’s a blessing in disguise when your guys don’t make the all star game. It’s exhausting!

As a team sport, it has to be soccer and basketball. I went to the Philippines last year and it was unreal how popular basketball was. It was almost as though you could always see a second court from the one you were standing on. And there were people playing on all of them! Really hope the league continues its global reach using social media and players passionate about growing the game.
One of my best friends played at a small division 3 school. They had 3 players from the Philippines. In his 20's he used to go back for a few months a year and play in a a second division league and he said it was like going to a division 1 college game with fans and how much they loved it.

Blazers over the Mavs. Dame and CJ combine for 63 with over 30 points each. Blazers have some clutch defensive sequences down the stretch and boy they looked good.

Kyrie says some downright weird stuff, but I loved every second of this response.

I DO NOT WANT REDICK TO SIGN WITH THE NETS. It’s my belief that deserved to be typed in all caps.

I DO NOT WANT REDICK TO SIGN WITH THE NETS. It’s my belief that deserved to be typed in all caps.
While I wouldn't be surprised one bit that Redick signs with the Nets, that is just not good for the NBA. You just can't have teams buyout players just to all go to make a super team. So, the Nets have the big three and sign Griffin and Reddick. That is just wrong.

No idea how it can be fixed, but just shows another reason the NBA is going in the wrong direction.

I may be a bit bias since I want my Sixers to sign him free of charge. :)

Because I'm just a basketball fan and not a fan of a specific team( (I don't like whatever team LeBron is on), I'm loosely following the trade deadline. I'm interested to see what teams are doing as far as acquiring or giving up players and future picks. That said I just read this: the Oklahoma City Thunder have a projected 34 picks over the next seven drafts, 17 each in the first and second round.

This may be the biggest choke job in NBA history. Didn’t score for the last 7:31 to lose by 6! Wolves covered by 2 48B9769F-A470-40B4-9859-AFD3A2308F3A.png

As we near final third of the season, these would be my current rankings of the top ten teams:

1. Nets
2. Jazz
3. Clippers
4. Sixers
5. Bucks
6. Suns
7. Nuggets
8. Trailblazers
9. Lakers
10. Mavericks

I put the Nets at the top because Kevin Durant is close to his return and I just don’t see who anybody can stop that team with all three superstars playing together. Obviously, the Lakers are much higher if the two stars come back healthy, but who knows when that will be. I think the Jazz, Clips and Sixers are pretty much at the same level when healthy. How would you other NBA fans change my rankings?

Back