Used to be a paid NBA sportswriter for a defunct site called hoopsworld.com and now am a HS official and still love game but it has really changed with more of an outside game that has its pluses and minuses. Good luck with thread and there are of course several great NBA golfers led by Curry. Some others took up in bubble. I played in SA with David Robinson in a tourney and he was a class act and a decent stick.

Wow! Seth Curry and Danny Green to the 76ers. My team looking stronger and stronger. Honestly happy to move Horford and Richardson out.

Saw this from Mavs beatwriters in the Dallas Morning News...

Richardson wasn’t exactly dominant in his only season in Philly, where his scoring average dropped from 16.6 points to 13.7; assists from 4.1 to 2.9 and 3-point percentage from 35.7 to 34.1. But, as noted previously, the 76ers were a bad chemistry experiment last season. Richardson is also just 27, with plenty of time to rehabilitate his image.

Frankly, he’s about the best you could have hoped for until the great free agent bonanza next summer. That is, if you still believe in such things. No matter how the Mavs pitched the 18th and 31st picks, they didn’t have a lot of inventory to offer in trades. They got a good return for Curry, ultimately sacrificing a little firepower from the NBA’s most efficient offense ever to give the offense a slasher and Luka Doncic a little cover.

Some personal observations about Curry: He can really shoot it, but, unlike most scorers of his pedigree, he doesn’t have the ego to match. Doesn’t assert himself enough. Also, the 76ers will be his seventh franchise in seven seasons. Make of that what you will.

___

I attended 12 Mavs Games last year. If not for Covid, I would have had 3 more. Seth Curry would go bananas some quarters and then would disappear. Great attitude, a fan favorite, but he did disappear at critical times ... like several players on the Mavs bench. I had not seen a team seem so dominant at times, and then in a quarter or worse, the last 5 minutes, leave the scene. I think they lost half the games I saw at home - they were all close except a Clip and Lakers game where they mugged Luka quickly and beat him to a pulp.

So I know what that says for Hamilton as a recruiter, but what does it say about his as coach? BTW, I'm an ACC hoops junkie and pissed that the conference is all over the place now with teams like Maryland jumping for football!
They won the regular season outright last season and are routinely at the top of the league standings over the last decade or so, especially the last 5 years. I think he's done a really good job there, even though they lose a real head-scratcher game or two every year. Vassell was ranked #200 by 247sports coming out of high school, so it's not like he's pulling in blue-chip talent every year.

I was in grad school there for the last few years of the Steve Robinson era. Outside of beating Duke twice, they stunk and had marginal talent. Hamilton has raised the bar considerably since then.

They won the regular season outright last season and are routinely at the top of the league standings over the last decade or so, especially the last 5 years. I think he's done a really good job there, even though they lose a real head-scratcher game or two every year. Vassell was ranked #200 by 247sports coming out of high school, so it's not like he's pulling in blue-chip talent every year.

I was in grad school there for the last few years of the Steve Robinson era. Outside of beating Duke twice, they stunk and had marginal talent. Hamilton has raised the bar considerably since then.
Don’t dispute LH has done a great job in his tenure, and they always seem to to have 25+ wins every year, but come tournament time they underperform. It’s like they can’t string 5-6 games together when it counts.
I think this year ACC is wide open but Virginia is probably favorite.

For additional insight for Spurs (my team) and other NBA fans one of best blogs around is Spurstalk.com -used to be a paid writer for them back in day and owned by great family Tim and Kori Ellis. Lakersground.net is also a fine site IMO

Nice and nice! Although it appears Dwight said he was signing with the Lakers only to sign with the Sixers less than an hour later?

Lakers will likely consider Cousins again

Malik Beasley got a bag. I loved him coming out of Florida State and honestly thought he’d be a top player out of that class. However, I don’t like how the twolves roster looks. I am just perplexed by the open I don’t love basketball it’s a job take from Anthony Edwards. Not sold on D LO or Kat being that presence to police that. Also interesting pickup of Rubio. Seems like a solid collection of pieces, but will they mesh.....

Also my pacers keep getting screwed with stars wanting to leave. Can Boston just quit being ridiculous on the asking price for heyward. He clearly is motivated to leave, leaving 34 mil on the table. But no way would the pacers give up turner, and Oladipo or Warren. And I’m in the boat on Myles Turner not having much value. Let us have this one Danny Ainge

Malik Beasley got a bag. I loved him coming out of Florida State and honestly thought he’d be a top player out of that class. However, I don’t like how the twolves roster looks. I am just perplexed by the open I don’t love basketball it’s a job take from Anthony Edwards. Not sold on D LO or Kat being that presence to police that. Also interesting pickup of Rubio. Seems like a solid collection of pieces, but will they mesh.....

Also my pacers keep getting screwed with stars wanting to leave. Can Boston just quit being ridiculous on the asking price for heyward. He clearly is motivated to leave, leaving 34 mil on the table. But no way would the pacers give up turner, and Oladipo or Warren. And I’m in the boat on Myles Turner not having much value. Let us have this one Danny Ainge
If he opted out, isn’t he a free agent? If so, the Celtics have no say, do they?

Happy to see the Jazz re-sign Jordan Clarkson and bring Derrick Favors back into the fold. He is the consummate pro and really liked here in Utah.

Nice and nice! Although it appears Dwight said he was signing with the Lakers only to sign with the Sixers less than an hour later?

Curious. The Lakers must have told him they were going in a different direction, which would be curious too since he is so good with that team.

Lakers sign Wesley Mathews and Montrezl Harrell. Rumored to be after Marc Gasol and working a sign and trade for Bodonovic.

If he opted out, isn’t he a free agent? If so, the Celtics have no say, do they?

None of the teams besides the Knicks really have the cap space necessary to sign Hayward. The hornets are borderline, but they would fare better trading as well. His #1 destination is Indy and since the Celtics are asking too much, they don’t have the cap room to pull it off. Plus Indy needs to shave salary to avoid luxury tax penalties. That’s why this keeps dragging on with him because he is waiting to see if the pacers can dump myles turner to a team with cap room or to find a third team for the sign and trade. Big mess that may end up costing Hayward in the end.

Sign and trade = more money for Hayward

I can’t believe some of the cash that’s being thrown around when the cap is set to take a step back. Marcus Morris getting paid big, Jerami Grant paid big, Bertans paid big. Very good role players and not a lot of replacements but this is shocking to me a little bit.

Lakers sign Wesley Mathews and Montrezl Harrell. Rumored to be after Marc Gasol and working a sign and trade for Bodonovic.

yeah the Dwight thing didn’t make sense until the Harrell thing came out. Lakers are winning free agency so far, no doubt IMO.

which bodonovic are they going after? Bojan or Bogdon?

None of the teams besides the Knicks really have the cap space necessary to sign Hayward. The hornets are borderline, but they would fare better trading as well. His #1 destination is Indy and since the Celtics are asking too much, they don’t have the cap room to pull it off. Plus Indy needs to shave salary to avoid luxury tax penalties. That’s why this keeps dragging on with him because he is waiting to see if the pacers can dump myles turner to a team with cap room or to find a third team for the sign and trade. Big mess that may end up costing Hayward in the end.
I understood that both Atlanta and NY had the cap space. I have been on the road (traveling to a golf destination for the weekend), so I wasn’t sure what had happened. Hayward kind of screwed the Jazz, so I am not too concerned about him. It may be karma. I have continued to hear that he might end up with the Knicks, but it surely would make sense for him to back to his home state and play for the Pacers. He may end up having to play for the mid level or something.

I can’t believe some of the cash that’s being thrown around when the cap is set to take a step back. Marcus Morris getting paid big, Jerami Grant paid big, Bertans paid big. Very good role players and not a lot of replacements but this is shocking to me a little bit.
I thought the market would be tighter as well. The Jazz sold for a pretty penny. The teams are handing out lots of money. It doesn’t seem that anyone is worried about the future.

yeah the Dwight thing didn’t make sense until the Harrell thing came out. Lakers are winning free agency so far, no doubt IMO.

You mean LeBron is winning free agency. It seems like the guy runs the league.

Bojon is still locked up with the Jazz for multiple years. It must be Bogdon, but it is curious to me what the Lakers could offer the Kings. Bogdon is restricted and the Kings tendered, so he can’t force his way out. At least that is my understanding.

Jeez. How on earth is Howard at the Sixers going to work? That's going to be very interesting to see.
He's been on form but I find him a bit of dirty player to be honest so not that happy.

Just give Lakers and shadow president of operation James the title already sadly after having an easy road with all the injuries opponents faced in the bubble run and missing out on playing the top teams.

Jeez. How on earth is Howard at the Sixers going to work? That's going to be very interesting to see.
He's been on form but I find him a bit of dirty player to be honest so not that happy.
Im not the guy’s biggest fan, but he does seem to have matured or at least quieted down. We definitely needed a backup center. And with where we’re coming from, paying him the veterans minimum, it’s almost a no risk decent reward signing.

I understood that both Atlanta and NY had the cap space. I have been on the road (traveling to a golf destination for the weekend), so I wasn’t sure what had happened. Hayward kind of screwed the Jazz, so I am not too concerned about him. It may be karma. I have continued to hear that he might end up with the Knicks, but it surely would make sense for him to back to his home state and play for the Pacers. He may end up having to play for the mid level or something.
I thought the market would be tighter as well. The Jazz sold for a pretty penny. The teams are handing out lots of money. It doesn’t seem that anyone is worried about the future.
You mean LeBron is winning free agency. It seems like the guy runs the league.

I think he wants the pacers, but you are right at this point the Knicks seem more viable with a clear #1 role and tons of cap. The hawks seemed interested but I think their cap also evaporated with the signing of Danilo.

And I agree about the mid level part. I think he thought at worst he’d lose a couple mili not picking up his 34 mil option but I think it could end up costing him over 15 mil when’s it’s said and done.

And yeah clearly the nba is thinking once covid is over things will be back to normal in terms of financials. I hope they are right.

and it’s good your jazz aren’t giving up bojan I think if he was healthy for the bubble we would have seen a different outcome for the jazz. But very interesting that bogdon shut that bucks deal down to try for the lakers. The kings could easily just match that offer sheet and keep him in this crappy situation in Sacramento.

And of course league commissioner James is winning. Any player that has Rich Paul as an agent finds its way to lebron somehow. Booo!

And have fun on your golf trip, I wish I was traveling to a destination right now 😢

Given GH's production last year in a limited role the Pacers probably have to part with Turner as long as Ainge doesn't anything get stubborn and want more than just cap filler. Even so the incremental improvement won't be near enough to move the team out playoff purgatory in the east.

Also hate the idea of basically handing the Celtics the east for the foreseeable future. Short of Giannis staying in Milwaukee and the Bucks being willing to live in the tax past this year Turner is the missing piece that moves the Celtics above everyone else...

Given GH's production last year in a limited role the Pacers probably have to part with Turner as long as Ainge doesn't anything get stubborn and want more than just cap filler. Even so the incremental improvement won't be near enough to move the team out playoff purgatory in the east.

Also hate the idea of basically handing the Celtics the east for the foreseeable future. Short of Giannis staying in Milwaukee and the Bucks being willing to live in the tax past this year Turner is the missing piece that moves the Celtics above everyone else...

as it stands ainge wants Turner, and Oladipo or Warren. Which is way to much for the production Hayward put out I agree with that.

and I strongly disagree with Turner putting the Celtics over the edge. It’s a well known secret in Indiana that Myles Turner isn’t very good, and gets too much credit for his 3 point shooting.

Myles is a rebounding liability and is weak against physical players. Very good shot blocker but with that said, there is a difference between being a shot blocker and a good defender. And his offense revolves around jump shooting which is terribly inconsistent. Too many times in big games he would settle for a 3 and although he shot nearly 40% on the year, it feels like every single one he missed was at crunch time or a time where we needed a good shot. Not a 3 from our center, 8 seconds into the shot clock.

but as mentioned earlier the worst part is the rebounding. A 7 footer who plays more than 30 minutes a game, averaging a career 6.5 rebounds. SIX AND A HALF!?

people will say well he plays away from the basket, or sabonis is there for the rebounds. There is no excuse. He doesn’t box out, he doesn’t hustle on the glass, and when he does bring energy and physicality he is out of control and fouls. There were games were TJ Mconnell our rebounded him in total for the game, and secured a clutch rebound essentially over Myles. If you saw the amount of rebounds this guy gives up to 6’5’’ and shorter white guys you would understand:eek: Giving up offensive rebounds in the clutch and rebounding in general has been a massive problem for the Pacers as Sabonis was out, and Warren, Brogdon, and Oladipo don’t do that well. If Myles isn’t hitting 3’s more likely than not his
+ / - is going to be negative.

I think turner could do well in Boston, and would fit a little better there. But I think Boston has more issues than just finding a center and quite frankly I like the idea of them getting Baynes back better than I do Myles if I was a fan. Tatums shot selection is pitiful, and get the offense out of flow sometimes. This is going to be a make or break year for this current Boston roster, and Brad Stevens if you ask me.

Back