NCAA Transfer Portal - Good or Bad?

That's not rue for football players in particular. There is no market for their services anywhere in the world or the US. They are forced to hold of their professional careers in the only professional league until they are 3 years removed from high school. They literally have 0 options outside of college football to make a transition to a professional career.

Again, not true. The NFL is not the only professional league.

That's not rue for football players in particular. There is no market for their services anywhere in the world or the US. They are forced to hold of their professional careers in the only professional league until they are 3 years removed from high school. They literally have 0 options outside of college football to make a transition to a professional career.

Having options to me in the other sports might be a good reason to not pay college athletes, although I'm not sold on that. It doesn't justify them not being able to go to whatever school wants them to play for them.

If you're worried about corruption well, corruption only happens when the price of a good doesn't match the free market price of a good. Like I said there wouldn't be cheating in recruiting if every kid was worth a college scholarship or less. It happens because a lot of kids are worth more than a college scholarship, but a college scholarship is all they are allowed to be paid.

Canadian football league
Arena football league
XFL (maybe)
Gridiron developmental football league
Rivals professional football league
Spring league of American football

Again, not true. The NFL is not the only professional league.
I know the NCAA is the other one. The XFL, CFL, & arena league are all more amateur than NCAA football. That's the truth. Also the pay is better in the NCAA, it's just done under the table instead of put in the open. It should be out in the open.

I know the NCAA is the other one. The XFL, CFL, & arena league are all more amateur than NCAA football. That's the truth. Also the pay is better in the NCAA, it's just done under the table instead of put in the open. It should be out in the open.

I am pretty confused. You said

That's not true for football players in particular. There is no market for their services anywhere in the world or the US. They are forced to hold of their professional careers in the only professional league until they are 3 years removed from high school. They literally have 0 options outside of college football to make a transition to a professional career.

That just isn't the case. You can say money is better in the NCAA, but there are plenty of options that exist, which another poster pointed out. Nobody is forced to play college athletics.

I will counter you. If you want them to be like college students then they should be able to come and go as they please and even do it midyear if they want. Every other student on campus has that option. If you want them to sign contracts and honor them than they need to be treated like professional athletes and they should be getting paid by the schools. The schools have for too long been having their cake and eating it too.

These major sports are just being called to the carpet to decide what they are. You can't have the money of pro sports and the athletes of amateur sports. The Olympics figured that out 30 years ago.

I think they should come and go as please that’s fine. I just don’t think they should be eligible to play right away, mainly after their freshman year.

I support the idea of athletes being able to monetize themselves to certain extents in terms of sponsorship deals and endorsements. But in terms of the schools paying athletes, I’ve yet to see a scenario laid out that is realistic and is fair to everyone, complies with Title 9, etc.

And as mentioned previous, the NBA will allow high schoolers to enter the draft very soon, the G league has their developmental team, plenty of overseas options if you are good enough that’s proved well for others. College doesn’t need to become a full blown professional organization.

Athletes need to be compensated better for the money they draw in especially at larger schools, so I’m not trying to defend the colleges profiting off these players. I just think if done incorrectly Mid major schools and Power 5 schools will be two separate leagues and two separate entities, and in turn will change the experience for the majority of athletes that will have their careers end after college.

also I’ve seen Big-Ten athletic programs. It’s not necessarily the hard knock life for us. $80,000 worth of education, monthly stipends, state of the art cafeteria, housing provided, personal tutors that are VERY helpful.....Top end players can bring in millions, but for many people that’s a whole lot.

You're getting political here. That second paragraph is a big assumption on who supports what. People aren't monolithic. We have different ideas on different things. I could just as easily say the people who want to heavily regulate the market for college athletes are the same people who don't want to be regulated themselves.

If you truly think they are being adequately paid then let a market open for their services. If they are being compensated adequately already none of them will get paid extra. If athletes start getting paid immediately that is plenty of evidence to this economist that the adequacy of the current compensation does not match the market. College athletes are not operating in a free market and this is one step closer to that. That's a win IMO.

Honestly if they were getting paid what they are worth there would be no cheating. Black markets only arise when regulation creates non efficient markets.

If it’s an “open market” for services then all the best players would just go to whatever school was willing to fork out enough money from their boosters. It would be even more skewed towards power 5 schools. You mentioned earlier that it forces coaches to keep their promises. If a young man is getting paid more at Kentucky than he is anywhere else regardless of playing time he can just sit and get paid lol. If he leaves he’s not gonna take a massive pay cut to prove himself at WKU.

As others have mentioned, the over generalization of “quit exploiting these players, making millions off them”. Those are the top 1% of players at the top 25% of the schools. All sports besides football and basketball at most schools operate at deficit. And if you are Clemson how can you justify publicly forking over millions to Trevor Lawrence, and then turning your nose at the women’s basketball team?

Butler Basketball and Duke Basketball help fund the rest of their athletic departments, which help provide facilities and keep programs going for the rest the sports like volleyball, field hockey, etc.

Not every school is created equally and so there is not blanket open market solution in my opinion. If Trevor Lawrence wants to sign a deal with Subway while in college then he should be able to up to 1 million dollars in my book. That’s the solution. Not changing the entire fabric of college sports

Last edited:
My initial reaction is I don't like it. No continuity for the programs. If you a fan of Syracuse, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky etc. you have no idea who is on the team. At least with the one and done kids you know who they are and that they are leaving.

I think it is a double edged sword and there is more to it than a kid transferring. You may want to leave and enter the portal but there are a ton of players in the portal with nowhere to go.
Kids can leave if they feel they were lied to or family situations change and that I think is fair. Kids leaving freely will be tough on the coaches and teams because you can have huge roster management issues, and then you have to figure out how many you can take and which class they count towards since you can only take 25 players a year.
Miami has done really well with the portal so I see it's benefits, but I can also see this causing huge issues if multiple players from the same position group leave, or multiple starters from the offense/defense. Coaches get paid millions a year and have huge recruiting and coaching staffs so they should be able to adjust.
I am not sure who this favors big schools or G5 schools because kids may leave to go get immediate playing time at smaller schools and dominate, but kids may also be more likely to sign with bigger schools even if they are being recruited to loaded classes or stacked position groups because they can leave freely.

My initial reaction is I don't like it. No continuity for the programs. If you a fan of Syracuse, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky etc. you have no idea who is on the team. At least with the one and done kids you know who they are and that they are leaving.
That's the wrong view point. It's not about the program. It's about the athletes that make that program and their rights. We as fans, me included, act like these players owe us something. They don't owe us anything. They should be treated as full, free citizens and to choose a path and have the right to alter that path when they choose to do so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

let's face it, these guys aren't there for the education....so let them go to where they have a shot at playing and possibly (probably not) making in the pro's

That's the wrong view point. It's not about the program. It's about the athletes that make that program and their rights. We as fans, me included, act like these players owe us something. They don't owe us anything. They should be treated as full, free citizens and to choose a path and have the right to alter that path when they choose to do so.

What player doesn’t have the right to choose their path and/or alter it?

There is good in both sides of this thread. I'll use the University of Minnesota as an example. They were about to fire the men's basketball coach Richard Pitino when he jumped ship and signed with New Mexico. Several of the players decided to enter the transfer portal, some before he left and some after he left. It almost wiped out the men's team. The portal also gives back as the new coach has already signed several guys that were in the transfer portal and it looks like he may sign some more from there. How is the new team going to compare with the old team? Only time will tell.

There is good in both sides of this thread. I'll use the University of Minnesota as an example. They were about to fire the men's basketball coach Richard Pitino when he jumped ship and signed with New Mexico. Several of the players decided to enter the transfer portal, some before he left and some after he left. It almost wiped out the men's team. The portal also gives back as the new coach has already signed several guys that were in the transfer portal and it looks like he may sign some more from there. How is the new team going to compare with the old team? Only time will tell.

Richard Pitino was fired. Not that it really changes the premise of your argument, but part of the conversation of this is people acting like coaches have more freedom to move around than players do. Which isn’t the case. Coaches don’t have every coaching opportunity available to them, they have their contracts terminated at a much higher rate then players lose their scholarships (which i rarely ever hear happening) . The only difference is they can leave their situation for more money if they do well and just the fact that people don’t like that coaches make money millions and players don’t.

this makes it very hard for new coaches IMO

Lot's of good takes and statements being made here, good stuff.

So, having never been in that position, outside looking in. I'm not against the new rule. I always felt it was a bit unfair they had to sit out, though I understood why. I was raised that if you committed to a school/job/activity, you finished what you started. They have/had those rules in place where based on situations outside of your control you could transfer and that made sense. I guess as long as there isn't just jumping ship to jump ship because you're bored or decide you don't like it all of the sudden, I get it. However, one of you mentioned playing a bad game and loosing against a team that you end up transferring to, would throw up a red flag to me. Not that that couldn't have happened before, but you would have been required to sit out a year...so I don't know who'd be willing to do that.

I think this works both ways. It can be good and it can be bad but College Sports are changing. As a fan of a mid major school the bad is a super talented player leaving for a major program in the hopes it will enhance their potential to go pro. At the same time you can get a transfer from a larger program who wants to go somewhere they can start, get exposure and play in a program in in mid major conference that has the potential to win that conference make the Tournament and get ranked in the Top 20. When Bobby Hurley came to UB he turned the program around before he left. Nate Oats continued to grow the program to the point they at one point were ranked 14 in the Country with a really good team that got knocked off in the second round by a great Texas Tech team. One of their players who was not getting playing time Josh Mballa transferred here and last year was one of the best players in the MAC. He plays a lot like Pascal Siakum from the Toronto Raptors and hopefully he stays for the upcoming season. I think he may be a legitimate NBA prospect. So i think you can lose some players but you can gain some as well. So i think there is good and bad but thats where we are and programs will have to figure it out because i think it is here to stay. And i think particularly in Basketball there are a lot of super talented players out there.

What player doesn’t have the right to choose their path and/or alter it?
Without the transfer portal all of them.

Without the transfer portal all of them.

How? They can choose their school or go play professionally in a myriad of leagues. They can transfer at any time. While they might have had to sit, let’s not pretend they are forced to sit it out

How? They can choose their school or go play professionally in a myriad of leagues. They can transfer at any time. While they might have had to sit, let’s not pretend they are forced to sit it out
While I admit I can't give specific examples of players being required to sit out, my guess is they're numerous examples. Especially in non-football and basketball. This rule eliminates that for all cases and I think that's a positive.

The point I was making is that we as fans act like the athletes owe us something when they choose to go to the school we root for out of high school. While I wish that every recruit that lands in Columbus, OH would be as loyal to The Ohio State University as me, that's simply not the case. If an athlete gets there and decides that his QB career has a better shot at LSU then he should be able to transfer at anytime. I would also support the NFL and NBA allowing players to become professional straight out of high school as well.

If an athlete gets there and decides that his QB career has a better shot at LSU then he should be able to transfer at anytime.
Players had the ability to transfer before the portal.

That's true, but they also had to sit out a year in a lot of cases, hence the rule change.

Do you know what was involved in the process and the rules involved prior to the portal?

Do you know what was involved in the process and the rules involved prior to the portal?

If you are referring to the coaches being able to block players from certain schools and the grueling process of trying to find a school interested, I don’t think anyone is advocating against the transfer portals solutions for those problems.

I think some people just disagree with a wide open free agency, or don’t think it’s unreasonable to have to sit out a year after transferring, especially after your freshman year a la Walker Kessler for UNC.

Back