ND golfer making up scores

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
Notre Dame female golfer giving incorrect scores
---------
Annie Brophy, a senior golfer at Notre Dame playing in Saturday's NCAA Central Regional, busted out of the gate at the difficult Otter Creek Golf Course in Indiana with an astonishing 30 on the front nine, including five birdies and an eagle.

Turns out that while Brophy was keeping an accurate score on her own card, she was flat-out making up scores for volunteers to post as she went along.
------

Other than unsportsmanlike conduct, did she violate a rule of golf??

Feherty: Gary, it looks like Tiger chunky monkey 3-woods resulted in an 8 on that last hole. Is that correct?
McCord: You're right, my Irish friend. But, I overheard him tell the scorekeeper to call in a 3. Ingenious! I think that'll keep Mr. Powerade on page 1 of the leaderboard.....until he signs his card, of course.
Feherty: Can't believe I never tried that, especially after a few pints.

Miller: You know, Nantz, Tiger doesn't have to lie to the volunteers if he would just catch the ball on the 3rd groove. Then, everything would take care of itself. That, and hiring me to be his swing coach.

Nantz: If I told a volunteer something different that what I said on the air, I would be fired. I read in the USA Today and it was called “a mild error in judgement.” Someone on my broadcast dismissed it as him having a camera in his face. Well, guess what? Phil Mickelson had a camera in his face all week and did you even hear him come close to lying to a volunteer? He didn’t hit every shot the way he wanted. Have you ever heard Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus lie to a volunteer? What are the parameters between what’s right or wrong?"

this sounds like my buddy...1 lost in the woods...1 in the water...5 to get on the green...4 putts...and he says "gimme a 5"

this sounds like my buddy...1 lost in the woods...1 in the water...5 to get on the green...4 putts...and he says "gimme a 5"

haha, so true. Now I just ask, "what you want me to put down?" instead of ,"what did you get".

i give her a pass on this one. she's cute, lol

annie-brophy-notre-dame-womens-golf_t180.jpg

To your question, "Did she violate a rule of golf?" . . .

In match play, yes, and she loses each hole where she gave an incorrect score.

According to a ruling from the USGA, "Rule 9 imposes no penalty for giving wrong information as to the number of strokes taken in stroke play."

Break a rule? No, she didn't.

She reported the wrong scores to volunteers who post scores on a website so people can track the progress of the golfers via the internet. She fooled people tracking through that way, and she fooled a couple of schools who were tracking the match to see how they would place based on how she was doing.

Is that unsportsmanlike? Absolutely. Was it the wrong thing to do? Absolutely.

But she technically broke no rule.

however . . . according to Rule 33-7, "If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule."

I'm guessing this would qualify as a serious breach.

however . . . according to Rule 33-7, "If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule."

I'm guessing this would qualify as a serious breach.

I'm certainly not defending the actions of this girl but I really have a hard time disqualifying her for this.

She lied, for whatever reason, to volunteers of a group who put up scores on the internet. I don't think that "group" (Forget the name) is affiliated w/ the course or any course official in any way.

So, basically, that "group" posting scores on the net is an independent entity who is there on their own merits unaffiliated w/ the golf course.

At least that's how I came to understand an article that I read on this.

im assuming she's on an athletic scholarship?
if she's anything like wie on tv... then i dont think math would be her strong suit... lolz

i give her a pass on this one. she's cute, lol

annie-brophy-notre-dame-womens-golf_t180.jpg

+2...I'd let her coach me. If she couldn't improve my game, she could at least teach me the art of "creative scorekeeping"

Looks like Clare Daines and Laura Prepon made a dishonest love-child.

Turns out she was disqualified under the "breach of etiquette" rule.

Looks like Clare Daines and Laura Prepon made a dishonest love-child.

GIRLS GONE WILD! Notre Dame style (if that's such a thing)! unfortunately, i've never visited the campus.

I dont know if I would DQ her for this, but I would certainly assess a hefty (4-5 stroke) penalty.

Reactions: TC
bet she lies about her age too lol

Personally, I kind of like a girl who isn't afraid of a little "risky" behavior that MIGHT land her in hot water.

Maybe not quite in this way however. :bashful:

I dont know if I would DQ her for this, but I would certainly assess a hefty (4-5 stroke) penalty.

Interestingly, the rules of golf say that "the Committee" can't assess a penalty that is not specified in the rules; that would be changing the rules. So their only choice is ignore it or DQ.

I think a DQ is a bit harsh. Heck, I've seen leaderboards at pgatour.com post incorrect scores..and on rare occasions the oncourse leaderboards have an error. But, it's not going to effect how other players play a hole.

It would warrant the coach suspending her from the next days round...meaning the team only has 4 players on the course instead of 5, assuming they still take the best 4 out of 5 scores, that could hurt. If this was the final round of the event, I'd suspend her from the next tournament.

I think a DQ is a bit harsh. Heck, I've seen leaderboards at pgatour.com post incorrect scores..and on rare occasions the oncourse leaderboards have an error. But, it's not going to effect how other players play a hole.

It would warrant the coach suspending her from the next days round...meaning the team only has 4 players on the course instead of 5, assuming they still take the best 4 out of 5 scores, that could hurt. If this was the final round of the event, I'd suspend her from the next tournament.

Actually, it could. If someone sees what she "says" she is shooting and they decide now that they have to go for it thinking they HAVE to get some birdies in a hurry, then what she told the scorekeepers could definitely affect the other players.

Interestingly, the rules of golf say that "the Committee" can't assess a penalty that is not specified in the rules; that would be changing the rules. So their only choice is ignore it or DQ.

You are correct. I misread the post earlier. I read "May impose a penalty OR disqualification" and not how it was written.
Ignore my nonsense.

Smalls: You are exactly right- It still effects the game being played

Back