Need a 2nd set of irons - Srixon ZX5 or Mizuno 921 Hot Metal?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to purchase a 2nd set of irons for my vacation home. Traveling with golf clubs is not something I enjoy doing.

I've kind of narrowed it down to the Srixon ZX5 vs the 921jpx Hot Metal. Just looking for some feedback from those that have played one or both.

Current gamers are Titleist T300's and I've considered a 2nd set of those, but I like the idea of playing a different set once in a while just for comparison.

Wow, you can’t go wrong! Put on a blindfold and throw a dart

Wow, you can’t go wrong! Put on a blindfold and throw a dart

Looks like 2ndswing has some pretty good deals on a new set of 921 Hot Metal but the price of the ZX5's is quite a bit more. Price not a factor unless the performance difference is significant.

I’m a Cleveland/Srixon guy as I love the v sole design personally but how can you go wrong with Mizuno?

I don’t think you could go wrong with either choice. Hit them and see what feels best to you. I’m better results will be similar

Both are great sets of irons. As you probably know and if it matters to you ...

The JPX 921 Hot Metals are in the game improvement category, same as your T300s. So that may provide you with a more consistent feel and ball flight with both sets.

The ZX5 is in the player-distance category. (The Srixon game improvement equivalent, more or less, to your T300s would be the ZX4s.)

To me, the forged ZX5 has more feel and allows for shot-shaping; the 921 Hot Metal has more forgiveness and loves to fly straight.

Have fun!

The JPX 921 Hot Metals are in the game improvement category, same as your T300s. So that may provide you with a more consistent feel and ball flight with both sets.

The ZX5 is in the player-distance category. (The Srixon game improvement equivalent, more or less, to your T300s would be the ZX4s.)

To me, the forged ZX5 has more feel and allows for shot-shaping; the 921 Hot Metal has more forgiveness and loves to fly straight.

Have fun!
This guy ^ stole everything I was going to say.

Have fun!

Thank you for your excellent post.

I've previously played the Srixon 585 which I believe were predecessors to the ZX5. I'd probably still have them but sold them to a new golfer that was just getting into the game.

I've seen the ZX4's in person and, while I've never hit them, they looked a little bigger (head wise) than the T300's, even though I would agree with you that they are probably more forgiving than the ZX5's. I would probably go a combo set and get the 5 and 6 in the ZX4's and the 7-PW in the ZX5's if I went with Srixon. With the HM's, I'd probably just get 5-PW - no combo set.

The "Most Wanted Game Improvement" on MGS included both of these (ZX5's and 921 Hot Metal) in their evaluation and the HM's got the pick for most strokes gained.

I honestly don't do a lot of shot shopping. I like to point and shoot, although I do tend to have a slight draw, but can hit a fade when needed.

Without regard to the cost, I'm really looking for performance based on being a mid-capper - currently about a 12 but looking to improve on that. But as a senior golfer, I don't like to be too optimistic on improving on my hc without the proper equipment and time spent working on my game.

I think both sets are lofted pretty close to the T300's, and while I don't expect either one to deliver any better performance, I'd like to go with the one that potentially could.

Thank you for your excellent post.

I've previously played the Srixon 585 which I believe were predecessors to the ZX5. I'd probably still have them but sold them to a new golfer that was just getting into the game.

I've seen the ZX4's in person and, while I've never hit them, they looked a little bigger (head wise) than the T300's, even though I would agree with you that they are probably more forgiving than the ZX5's. I would probably go a combo set and get the 5 and 6 in the ZX4's and the 7-PW in the ZX5's if I went with Srixon. With the HM's, I'd probably just get 5-PW - no combo set.

The "Most Wanted Game Improvement" on MGS included both of these (ZX5's and 921 Hot Metal) in their evaluation and the HM's got the pick for most strokes gained.

I honestly don't do a lot of shot shopping. I like to point and shoot, although I do tend to have a slight draw, but can hit a fade when needed.

Without regard to the cost, I'm really looking for performance based on being a mid-capper - currently about a 12 but looking to improve on that. But as a senior golfer, I don't like to be too optimistic on improving on my hc without the proper equipment and time spent working on my game.

I think both sets are lofted pretty close to the T300's, and while I don't expect either one to deliver any better performance, I'd like to go with the one that potentially could.
Awesome! I think you would enjoy either club head as long as you pair it with the right shaft. Have fun shopping -- and playing! 👊

No way to go wrong with either one of those. I play HMP and love them!!!! Love the forgiveness and the distance they give me as a slower swinger.

I ended up in the JPX forged over the ZX5 at my last fitting. You can’t go wrong with either.

At the end of the day I’d go with what looks best/has you most excited to play.

As others have said repeatedly, you really can’t go wrong with either club. My HMs are my current backup set to my 0211s. Backup being somewhat of a misnomer as I rotate back and forth throughout the year. Demoed the ZX5s last fall. Really liked them.

Comes down to the nuances between the two as they relate to your game. Yardages appeared very close.
Especially liked the turf interaction with the V-Sole. I could also flight them down a bit easier than my HMs. But, for me, the HMs are just so darn reliable.

Best of luck with your choice. It’s a fun dilemma to be in. And wouldn’t be surprised if the T300s end up at your vacation home. And they’re no slouch either. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back