need advise on tipping shaft for woods

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I have 2 cleveland launcher stainless head woods. They have the stock gold stiff shafts.

I recently switched to irons with dg x 100 shafts, and a driver with s flex high bend point ust harmon tour design shaft.

These launcher woods fly way too high. Yesterday I bought (2) new red grafalloy pro launch stiff shafts.

Would it be ok to tip these shafts an extra 1/2" inch from the recommended trimming?

The chart shows 0 for driver, 1/2" for 3 wood, and 1" for 5 wood.

I want them a stiff+ flex.

Will this mess up the kick point of the shafts?I

Not really wanting an x flex in these.

Thanks for the info, and experience.

Here is link:
http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-sal...ale/grafalloy-prolaunch-red-wood-special.html

Jackal

Anyone out there done this? Done this with other shafts? Opinions on the red stiff shaft in stock trim dimensions?

Thanks for any advice or opinions,

Jackal

Hang in there, some very knowledgeable people on this site will get to this eventually.

Are you playing them full length and just want to tip trim?

Take this for what it is - I used to shoot a lot of archery and when building arrows, spine is very important. The more you cut off the stiffer the spine will be. If I wanted a stiffer spine, sometimes I would cut an equal amount from the front and back. Say I needed to cut an inch, thats a 1/2 off the front and a 1/2 off the back.

So instead of the extra tip trim of 1/2" maybe take it off the butt? By shortening the overall length of the shaft it will stiffen it up. I am newish to club building so like tequila said above, maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Thanks guys ,

Keep it coming.

I am wanting to make it a little more than stiff. Just a stiff +.

Right now the shaft will come in at 46 inches uncut.

43" inches is standard book length for a 3 wood.

Jackal

Anyone out there done this? Done this with other shafts? Opinions on the red stiff shaft in stock trim dimensions?

Thanks for any advice or opinions,

Jackal
I tipped a Miyazaki driver shaft 3/4". I didn't notice any change in the kick point but I did notice it stiffened up the tip. That was an R flex shaft and I'd estimate it took it to something just short of S, maybe an R+. Also, unless you have specialized tools don't try to cut it yourself.

Guys,

I guess I'll try it with the 15 degree 3 wood and see how it works. I can always pull it and install it in the 19 degree 5 wood at stock length.

Thanks for the info tequila4kapp and VA Vince.

Jackal

I tested the final set-up today. It has been ice and snow for the last week+.

On the shaft I ended up trimming it 1" which is for a 5 wood. The club it is in is a 15deg Launcher.

During my test today, the ball, flight has improved for me. The ball used to go straight up in an arch and fall like a sack of potatoes.

Now the ball takes off low and climbs the way an airplane does. Then it falls soft and rolls out.

I have never had a club perform like this before. The ground is too soggy to get any actual distance measurement.

Also, there is quite a bit of snow left.

Thanks for the input and pm messages from all.

Jackal

Great stuff glad its showing some really promising results.

I tested the final set-up today. It has been ice and snow for the last week+.

On the shaft I ended up trimming it 1" which is for a 5 wood. The club it is in is a 15deg Launcher.

During my test today, the ball, flight has improved for me. The ball used to go straight up in an arch and fall like a sack of potatoes.

Now the ball takes off low and climbs the way an airplane does. Then it falls soft and rolls out.

I have never had a club perform like this before. The ground is too soggy to get any actual distance measurement.

Also, there is quite a bit of snow left.

Thanks for the input and pm messages from all.

Jackal

Gonna save this for future reference.... thanks.

Back