• 48 D Grind

• 50 V Grind

• 50 D Grind

Results are only viewable after voting.

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a steep angle of attack, more of a digger, I struggle to shallow the club.

My current wedge setup:

PW/10i - 44* - I use this for full swings only and it plays about 130 yards.

<Insert Wedge Here>
- I'd like this for 120 yards
  • Full swing club that will work ok out of rough and off fairways
  • Probably won't use it to chip, unless I need a long roll out
  • No chipping
  • No Face manipulation

Edel 54* T Grind - 95 to 110 yards
  • I use this for full shot between 95 and 110 yards, but it's rare I get it slung 110 yards.
  • I use it for anything from 25 yards to 75 yard pitches, so all the 1/2, 3/4 type swings
  • I also chip a ton with this club anytime I'm not short sighted.
  • I prefer it off tigther lies.
  • Rarely manipulate the face

Edel 58* C Grind - Rarely full swing
  • I prefer it off fluffier lies.
  • I do manipulate the face.
  • I used it sand.
  • I chip and pitch with it if I'm short sighted to get a little more loft

So the question is what do I need between that 44 and 54. I'm torn between a 48 and 50 degree wedge. Then would you go V Grind or D Grind?

The V-Grind is a V-shaped grind with medium-high bounce; this grind is optimal for golfers with a moderate to steep angle of attack with a larger divot. Inspired by our most popular DVR grind, this sole is great for golfers with a steeper swing motion. A higher bounce angle closer to the leading edge allows this sole to engage with the turf quickly; resulting in minimal hesitation through sand or turf.

The D-Grind is a dual surfaced high bounce option, optimal for golfers with a steep angle of attack and a large, deep divot. A channel in the midsole area creates a dual sole with two separate bounce surfaces. The high bounce leading edge allows the wedge to cut through the turf at impact without resistance while the high bounce on the second surface prevents any excessive digging.

You didn't specify manufacturer, but I'm guessing Vokey's considering the grinds and bounces.
Have you thought of using a gap wedge that matches your set? I take a lot of full swings with my gap wedge as well as using it for lower chips/pitches. I find the turf interaction is best with the set gap wedge after using a Callaway MD5 and a Vokey in the past.

You definitely want a low bounce wedge, even with your steeper angle, but have the relief from the leading edge would do the trick I think to prevent digging.

I would look to match your set wedge. Since it is primarily a full swing club I like matching that.

First off I'd likely look at the set GW but I think you'll adapt just fine to whichever GW you choose. The D grind description sounds like it might fit your steep swing better. Can you hit them first? Going in blind I'd likely opt for the 48* incase you need to bend it weaker (to hit your desired 120). Bending weaker would add a little bounce and more insurance against your steepness.

Last edited:
Does Edel make a 48 or 50 degree wedge? Other option is to go with the gap wedge that matches your irons.

Are you struggling with your matching gap wedge from the set? I am fan of matching the GW whenever possible since I use my GW for full swings and rarely around the greens.

I actually use the 48° D grind wedge for this spot with the same shaft as my irons as it’s more of a full swing club for me.

I went with the 48° over the 50° because as a true blade wedge I was concerned about loss of distance from a slight miss hit.

This moves into a 54° D grind then a 58° P grind for me

I have the set gap wedge, and I just dont' love it. Have struggled to hit and love my Edel Wedges, so that's why I'm thinking of giving the Edel a try.

I actually use the 48° D grind wedge for this spot with the same shaft as my irons as it’s more of a full swing club for me.

I went with the 48° over the 50° because as a true blade wedge I was concerned about loss of distance from a slight miss hit.

This moves into a 54° D grind then a 58° P grind for me
You can get fairly steep, right?
I have the set gap wedge, and I just dont' love it. Have struggled to hit and love my Edel Wedges, so that's why I'm thinking of giving the Edel a try.
I would lean D grind

Can you get one bent to 49 to maintain 5* between the wedges?
I'm sure Edel would probably do it, but now you all got me torn on just figuring out this dumb Mizuno GW and saving $200 bucks.

I don't know why I don't like it. I struggle to hit it and it's like not a true 921 Hot Metal, the GW is just a weird set wedge, but the majority of people in this thread seem to like the set GW, ugg.

Have you considered the Edel SMS Gap Wedge? It looks like it has plenty of bounce and would likely offer more forgiveness across the face being more iron than wedge.

I'm sure Edel would probably do it, but now you all got me torn on just figuring out this dumb Mizuno GW and saving $200 bucks.

I don't know why I don't like it. I struggle to hit it and it's like not a true 921 Hot Metal, the GW is just a weird set wedge, but the majority of people in this thread seem to like the set GW, ugg.
I'm the worst, ha. Didn't mean to make it more complicated. I asked about the like the set GW set trying to understand what's going on as I like the set option when available. If you are really struggling with it and like the Edel wedges, that makes sense as the way to go.

Have you considered the Edel SMS Gap Wedge? It looks like it has plenty of bounce and would likely offer more forgiveness across the face being more iron than wedge.
Edel is the only wedge I'm considering. Those are what my other two wedges are in.

Get the 48 V and have it bent to 49

Don't worry about that. I typically prefer the set GW too but I just never got along with the set GW when I was gaming Cobra King F6 irons and eventually replaced it. Made a massive difference having a wedge I played better down there. Confidence in your scoring clubs is critical.

I have the Edel V grind in both a 52 and 56 and they are amazing. I am very steep also. I've not hit the D grind but do wonder how it would work with my steep swing.

First off I'd likely look at the set GW but I think you'll adapt just fine to whichever GW you choose. The D grind description sounds like it might fit your steep swing better. Can you hit them first? Going in blind I'd likely opt for the 48* incase you need to bend it weaker (to hit your desired 120). Bending weaker would add a little bounce and more insurance against your steepness.
Just to understand this. It's better for me to get the 48 bent to 49, vs bending the 50 down to 49 right?

Just to understand this. It's better for me to get the 48 bent to 49, vs bending the 50 down to 49 right?
It depends what you feel would work best for you. But a 48 bent to 49 adds a degree of bounce, you'd lose a degree of bounce bending a 50 to 49. With you mentioning being steep I assumed that extra bounce might be of benefit? Ultimately it depends on your usage and course conditions.
Personally, I'm gaming a 52 bent to 53 as my 2nd most lofted wedge because I wanted a little extra bounce for the shots I planned to use it for.

Last edited:
It depends what you feel would work best for you. But a 48 bent to 49 adds a degree of bounce, you'd lose a degree of bounce bending a 50 to 49. With you mentioning being steep I assumed that extra bounce might be of benefit? Ultimately it depends on your usage and course conditions.
Personally, I'm gaming a 52 bent to 53 as my 2nd most lofted wedge because I wanted a little extra bounce for the shots I planned to use it for.
Yea if only I truly understood bounce haha. I only know I'm steep on my angle of attack, and I'd say I'm far more prone to thin a ball then chunk it from 120 yards. I'd say conditions are softer in VA far more than firmer. Does that help answer this riddle at all?

IMO better to go 48 to 49. I’d rather add a degree of bounce vs subtracting one.

I don’t know that much about the Edel grinds but I would recommend having the loft adjusted to 49* to gap well between the 44* set wedge and the 54* Edel wedge you have. I would also match the set shaft in this wedge since it is a full swing wedge.

Lots of good advice. When I was kicking this idea around I was leaning V grind over D grind. A little more geared towards a full swing type grind.

Back