Need help Upgrading my Clubs

TurtleSoup

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and brand new to golf. This is my first summer playing I have really caught the bug. I am therefore looking to upgrade my current clubs and was hoping for advice on what the smartest use of my money would be. I currently have been using ping zing 2 black dot irons 3-sw and a hand-me-down putter. Thats all I have, no woods/hybrids/driver.

I have played probably 10 rounds this summer and shoot somewhere between 100-110 every time. I obviously am not very good, but I do think a full complement of clubs would help me play the course a bit differently. I don't want to spend a ton of money on clubs because I plan to spend some money taking lessons and trying to improve my game.

Here is my dilemma, I want to spend roughly 200 - 250$ total for upgrades. I am trying to figure out if it makes make sense to put that money towards a starter bag(i.e callaway strata) or if I should use that money to add a driver/wood/hybrid and stick with my ping zing 2's for irons. I don't have a good idea of how much better the modern irons are vs. my older clubs which is making this tough for me. I hit the ping zing 2's pretty well from 7-sw but the higher clubs are a little more finicky.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks in advance:act-up:

I would stick to the irons you have and buy a set of woods with the money, go second hand just now, there will be some users in here that have some good equipment at fair prices, go to a shop first and test some stuff and buy what suits your game, good luck mate

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the wonderful game of game which will consume your thoughts, suck your money up and make you crazy and happy all at the same time. I recommend buying an old Adams golf set of clubs which usually come with a couple of hybrids. You can find those sets online for dirt cheap and use the longest hybrid as your driver. That's what I did for my first set of irons and it worked out great. I recommend going to a golf shop that can test your swing speed and recommend a shaft flex for you. Most places won't charge to do that. If you do want a longer club for off the tee I would suggest a 3 wood over a driver for a beginner especially if you are tight on the funds.

Apply for new Credit Card.. you gonna need it.

I would not buy that Strata set. Get a set a used wood. 3wood and hybrid. Keep the Ping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have access to go hit some clubs locally? If not, I would check Callaway preowned, eBay & Global Golf.

Any of the Callaway clubs (X2 Hot/Big Bertha or newer) for a driver and FW woods, the Bio Cell, Fly-Z or F6 from Cobra and an Adams hybrid or 2 could be had for around $200 to fill out the top of your bag. Then if you enjoy yourself and want to spend more than you can upgrade further if you so desire.

Keep the irons and get a set of woods/hybrids. Check Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, Globalgolf, classifieds here, etc. I'd be happy to help you if you need it...

That would be really helpful!

I am thinking about something like the Cobra Biocell or Cobra f6 for the driver.

if I were to buy say 1 other wood and 1 hybrid I am having difficulty picking which wood and which hybrid would be the most versatile in terms of # and also what specific clubs are good.

Back