Ss12108

Reaction score
Handicap
I game the JPX 825 pros GW - 4 and love them. I am a huge fan of the 4 iron and I hit the ever living hell out of it.

There in lies my dilemma. I hate hybrids...love irons. I carry a 3H at 19* and when my swing is absolutely locked in, I crush it and hit it confidently. When my swing goes the slightest bit screwy, the misses with it are absolutely atrocious. I'll have a recoverable miss with my 4 iron, but the hybrid will wind up in another zip code. Something about the look and the lack of weight in a hybrid just has me lost about where the hell the clubhead is during the entire swing.

Now I'm a 20 handicapper, but its not because of my irons, and for some screwy reason I prefer more of a players iron than a super duper game improvement iron, and Mizuno forging just feels amazing to me. I don't mind feedback at all because I want to immediately feel what I did wrong.

Today I tested the MP H4, MP H5, and the MP 54 3 irons, and the MP 54 was amazing. Problem is, its only 2 degrees loft stronger than my current 4 iron, and on flush swings, the 3 iron was only like 2-3 yards longer in both carry and roll on the monitor. Best swing with the 4 iron carried 197 and rolled 212 (which was surprisingly similar to reality...I was expecting the monitor to throw 230 at me haha), and an equally good swing and contact with the MP 54 3 iron was 199/215. Similar launch angles on both as well...barely noticed any difference in path on the monitor.

Any suggestions here? Would it make sense to grab a 3 iron I like, possibly the MP 54 or another Mizuno model, and get it bent to 20* or 19*? Does any set have a 2 iron anymore besides the MP H5/H4 (which I was not crazy about)?

There are 2 iron driving irons out there. About 3 years back I remember Mizuno having an H4 2iron I believe?

There are 2 iron driving irons out there. About 3 years back I remember Mizuno having an H4 2iron I believe?
Yea they have 2 iron in the H4 and H5 but I hit both 3 irons today and wasn't crazy about them. If there was an MP 54 2 iron I would have had it ordered within 5 mins of leaving golfsmith haha.

The staff working today looked at me like I had 3 heads for asking if they had anything in stock with a 2 iron for me to try!

I borrowed a friend's X prototype 18* today at the range and hit absolute bullets with it. I think that's the direction I'm going to go...either grab one of those used or possibly splurge on the Apex Pro UT.

Granted, THE swing that abandoned me about a month ago came back today, so I hit the hell out of my 3H by the end of the bucket too. However, early in the bucket when I wasn't necessarily grooved, my misses with the X Prototype were a hell of a lot closer to where I was aiming than where the 3H was going. That right there confirmed my thought process.

Anyone game this, or something similar, and know how it performs out of your average rough?

Well, pulled the trigger on an 18* 712U today. Haven't even seen one in person but around here it's impossible to find anyone carrying these driving irons, so I'm just winging it. Check back to the marketplace forum in a couple of weeks for a great deal on a 712U haha.

I have an Apex UT 21* and it's incredible. I am in ponder mode on the 18*...

That was the other option I was debating. A few factors swayed me to the 712U...same shaft as my irons, it's shorter than the Apex, and the lie angles, offset, and length on the 712U are closer to the progression of my irons than the Apex.

I really wish I could have hit them both before pulling the trigger but oh well. I'm going for a driver fitting as part of my lessons next week so if I have the 712U delivered by then maybe I'll get it tuned for my swing a bit.

My golf pro couldn't figure out why my ball flight was getting so high with the driver until he watched a video and saw this haha:

b5e8650cd8059c2eac448737237b364a.jpg

97714cb6082c8d878f9ed37bc4dc702f.jpg

I think it's a little bit of early release but he's adamant that I need a heavier shaft and possibly X instead of S (I'm skeptical of that), but he wants to get me on a launch monitor first.

Back