Need some advice on fairway woods

Ndfan301

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was able to get out and play during the one day heat wave that went through here, and discovered quite the glaring hole between clubs. As is seen in my sig, I only carry my driver, then a 3 hybrid and 5 hybrid. The hybrids replaced my previous 3 and 5 wood. Both woods were cheap non-brands that I received as a birthday present. Problem with them were the shafts flexed badly with my swing, and were never the correct fit. Plus they were a closed face, and when I took a year break from golf, they messed my swing up.

Ok I'll finally get to my question. I need a wood to fill in the gap between my driver and 3 hybrid. I can drive in the 275ish range consistently, but my hybrid can only carry 200 if lucky, and not consistent. What wood would fill this gap better? 3? 4? 5? Not looking for a specific brand, just some advice. I'd like this club to fit nicely in the 215-230 yardage range.

Best advice I could give is to go to a golf store equipped with a launch monitor and hit your driver and hybrid, check your average distance with both then hit 3 woods that can fill the gap.

Best advice I could give is to go to a golf store equipped with a launch monitor and hit your driver and hybrid, check your average distance with both then hit 3 woods that can fill the gap.

Great advice. You wont know what will fill the gap till you get the numbers.

Honestly right off the back I'm gonna tell you that your 5 wood would definitely fill the gap between your hybrid and driver. I know 3 woods now a days are meant to go long and some people can even get them in the 280-290's. but your best bet is to try them out and see what happens. All the best.
Respectfully, Manuel M.

if I knew 100% what you were going to hit with each club from each manufacturer then I'd have some ideas but until then you need to use a launch monitor.

You may want to try a 1 or 2 hybrid if you are more comfortable hitting hybrids. I am much better with hybrids off the fairway than I am with fairway woods.

I enjoy my setup this year. I use 3 wood then drop to my 3h. I find I am good off the tee or fairway with the 3 wood and my 3h is only about 20 yards less than my old 5 wood. I really enjoy thid setup as I am alot more cosistant with the hybrids than the fairway woods, so the less the better to me lol.

I too agree with finding a launch monitor to figure out your best option to fill the gap.

That being said, if you don't have that available, then I would get a 3 wood.

As everyone has said, get on a LM and let the numbers make the decision for you. On paper, if you are trying to split the gap with 1 clubs, I would go with a 4 wood.

You may want to try a 1 or 2 hybrid if you are more comfortable hitting hybrids. I am much better with hybrids off the fairway than I am with fairway woods.

I never had trouble hitting woods until the previous set I had. But like I said, they were a gift from someone who just up and bought them, didn't bother thinking of shaft or length were right for me at all. I do like my hybrids, but I also only game 12 clubs, so I've got room to carry one that'll only be used once or twice. This club will more than likely also only be hit from the tee box, when driver is too long, and my hybrid would leave a higher iron than I would prefer.

Mainly what I'm trying to avoid is a scenario like this: shorter par 4, and my driver would leave shorter than a full PW. I'd much rather be at a easy 9i or full PW attacking the green. My 3 hybrid would leave me short of that, probably in the
7i range, which I can game, but would rather be in low irons.

And thanks for the advice. Gonna have to hunt down a LM and get that taken care of. And never though of going with a 4w before....hmmm

Back