Need some wine advice......

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
As we get closer to the holidays I am always trying to think of gifts I can get for the people in my company who help me "do what I do" which is sell product and make my customers happy. There are many behind the scenes that help out who I like to provide appreciative gifts during the holiday season. This year I am thinking of bottles of wine for the people but I am clueless as to what to get or where to go. I know there are a quite a few wine lovers here on THP and I am reaching out to you for guidance and advice. Here are a few questions to get the ball rolling:

1) What are some good brands or vineyards I should consider?
2) Are there websites I should look at that might deliver the product for me?
3) How much should a "decent" bottle of wine cost?

Thank you all in advance.....

One thing to remember, just because one bottle costs more than another doesn't mean it's better. I know plenty of $10-$13 bottles that are better than >$20 bottles. Best thing to do is find out what the person you're buying for likes and buy based on that.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

WIne-searcher is a great tool that has websites that feature delivery. Of course that means you have to know the winery name. My favorite gift bottle/vinyard is Siduri & Novy. Wine family that makes outstanding light and medium bodied wines that are not only very highly rated and sometimes sought after, but delicious and obtainable. They have releases from $10 (used to not sure anymore) to $45 and every one of them is good for years to come.

Price does not dictate quality anymore. It dictates demand.

I'm a fan of Cakebread, Kunde, seven sisters, Kendall Jackson. I you have a trader Joe's near you then they have great inexpensive table wines. I'm talking $5 to $10 bottles

I came across this site awhile ago , its a Wine Club , I think it gives some good info on wines .
http://www.clubw.com

WR, assuming you don't want to get the same bottle for everyone (although if you do, you can often get a great deal on a case), go to a local store like Beverage Warehouse (if you happen to be in Marina Del Rey) where the team of people actually know wines. The BevMo people are hit and miss in my experience but you can get better pricing.

If you know these people well, and know what the like to eat, buy them a wine they can pair with a favorite food. As far as what wines to buy, avoid those that smell or taste like vinegar.

Kevin

Like it's been said before, just because one cost more doesn't mean it is any better.

Anyways, the wife and I stayed at Elk Creek Vineyards for our honeymoon, and they have a big selection and make it themselves. We aren't wine people and still ended up buyin 6 or 7 bottles from them because we wine tasted. They deliver from their website so you can always try them out

I would be happy to help you out. I am the wine director for a retail store in RI. We can ship to Cali if need be although shipping can be a bit pricey depending on the price per bottle. PM if you want some recommendations.

Very drinkable wine can be easily had for $10-$13. However, I think there is a very big difference between finding value wine for personal consumption vs. presenting a gift to a business associate. With the latter there's an element of wanting to make a statement of appreciation. So I might not approach this from the perspective of how little can I spend to get something decent. Instead, maybe ask yourself how much you'd be willing to spend on a client for a non-wine present. That's your budget. From there I would find a good wine shop near your home. Go in and just tell them what you said here. They will really be able to help you by picking something from within your budget that is special or particularly good. Another thing you might consider is picking wines for a reason. For example, have they recently travelled to another country or part of the US? If so, maybe find a wine from that country or region. Tell the wine shop about your clients. You might be surprised at their ability to make some selections that have extra meaning. That adds substantially to the gift.

Oh yeah, buy something for yourself and drink it!

Look up the trendy wine bars, view their wine lists online and even call the places. Most wine Sommaliers at wine bars and restaurants welcome your questions even over the phone.

I'm a fan of Cakebread, Kunde, seven sisters, Kendall Jackson. I you have a trader Joe's near you then they have great inexpensive table wines. I'm talking $5 to $10 bottles
Love some Seven Sisters. If you like the blend or what is sometimes called a crush, try Dreaming Tree. It's bottled by The Dave Matthews Band and really good. About $14.

J.

Back