Need to purchase new appliances - ADVICE NEEDED

pmoa

Always Ponderin'
Reaction score
Handicap
Im looking to purchase a new refrigerator and washer/dryer...Besides craigslist and the big box stores are there any other places that I can score a good deal on appliances?

Do you have a Sears Outlet? You can get slightly dinged (cosmetic) appliances for a fairly decent discount. If the ding is on the side that would be to a wall, nobody even knows.

Go to www.geoutletstore.com

When I bought my washer and dryer, we had shopped around everywhere and they 1500 at lowes. I paid 1050 shipped and they picked them up from lowes that morning....lol The deals aren't always that cheap, but friends and family have all got pretty good deals.

Good ideas guys...im going to check them out, refrigerator is what we need and a W/D would be nice too...i could care less about dings

Also, the geoutletstore is all brand new stuff, but I have also heard good stuff about sears outlet store.

I would spend the 20 bucks or so and sign up for Consumer Reports online and check out all the ratings and recommendations.No sense getting a bargain on a piece of crap appliance.

When we remodeled, I didn't get the top rated of anything, but everything I got was CR Recommended. (I would spend 2/3 the amount of the highest rated and get one that was a spot or two lower on most cases). I must say that I did get the top rated french door refrigerator at the time and it was the previously mentioned 2/3 the price of #2!

We bought a new front loading washer (LG), refrigerator (Amana), dishwasher and Gas oven (both Hotpoint). Haven't had any issues in 5 years so far.

Do a google search for "scratch and dent appliances" for your city.

We just redid our kitchen and went for all new appliances. read over consumer reports and found the LG make a very solid product. Not top of the line but near the top in every category (Fridge, Oven, Micro, DW). So far they have been as good as advertised and we have been very satisfied with our selection.

I used all the appliance stores against each other. They all will "match" the other store or do better. So, I went and told them all a bucnh of crap, got quotes and ended up getting everything for pretty cheap. I def won

sratch and dent at lowes are great...u can haggle on price big time, they just wanna get that stuff off of the floor. Half the time the scratches are tough to see, or on a side that isnt visible to the eye once it installed

Perry

http://www.brayandscarff.com/

I believe they still have a scratch and dent location at 8610 Cherry Ln Ste 17, Laurel · (301) 317-0400
it may be worth a call.

When we built our house, I bought most of my appliances from an appliance store (authorized dealer) I found on Ebay. I got quotes from a bunch of places and they came out the cheapest even including shipping and there was no tax.

There is, but it may not be available for you. If you can find where they manufacture the appliances, they often also have a 'show case' floor for direct purchasers. About once a year, they clear those out at ridiculous price. All you have to do is haul it yourself.

I got $2000 fridge for $600 because it was a floor model at the manufacturer's show floor.

~Rock

The best deals I have found are almost always at HH Gregg.

Check for a local repair/used seller. We needed a fridge to put into a house we were selling because we wanted to take the existing one with us and found a guy who buys used appliances, spends a little to fix whatever small part was broken, then sells them used - many of them almost brand new. People are so quick to just throw out an old appliance instead of spend $100 on a repair. Very much like going to a scratch and dent place but these are slightly used/refurbished.

Last two times round I used Best Buy for the 0% finance offers. Waited for a sale, got the best price on what we wanted and then paid it out over 24 months at no interest. Buy a lot of big items that way. If they don't want all of my money up front and it doesn't cost anything in price, or finance charges it's as painless as it gets. Sometimes the 0% term is 18, sometimes 36 months and fortunately the longer option often coincides with a sale if you can be patient.

Find out whether the store or the manufacturer is responsible for the warrenty. My sister had a split warrenty between Gregg and Sansung and got the runaround from each claiming the other was responsible.

Find out if your signature visa charge card still offers a full free one year warranty on appliances that becomes effective after the manufacturer warrenty runs out.

I used all the appliance stores against each other. They all will "match" the other store or do better. So, I went and told them all a bucnh of crap, got quotes and ended up getting everything for pretty cheap. I def won

hahahah...thats what I was planning on doing! it just seems that most of just do some price fixing!

And let me make a point here, why google when you have THP? this made appliance shopping so much easier. Thanks fellas

Do you have a Sears Outlet? You can get slightly dinged (cosmetic) appliances for a fairly decent discount. If the ding is on the side that would be to a wall, nobody even knows.

That's a good idea, never really thought about that, for our fridge there is only one side that showed and the front.

Back