Need to Slow Everything Down

If shooting lower scores is not enough incentive to slow things down, I'm not sure what else can be said, or done.

Maybe saying a silent catch phrase to yourself, in your mind, at a slower pace might help. Something for the up swing, and something for the down swing.

Me, I use "dollar bills" thought slowly. Stole that from"Tin Cup".

I think it’s ADD. I know what I need to do before I play but can’t seem to focus on it when I’m playing. Does that make sense?

Prior to Jack Nicklaus coming to prominence the waggle or some forward movement of the club or body part was taught in golf instruction. Nicklaus hovered the club head and then moved into the golf swing. We don't know if he performed a mental forward press to start the backswing. We do know that he supported the weight of the club in his hands thereby eliminating having to lift the club off the ground and take it back in the one movement. Such a movement can become a snatchback that destroys tempo and rhythm, and can start the club on the wrong plane.
Golf instruction in the 1980's taught supporting the full weight of the club before the takeaway on all shots including putting.

I’ll second the pre-shot routine. A huge key to being good at golf is consistency. A repeatable reliable swing. Watch some of your favorite pros and you will see it. Works for me for sure.

Like I said I am a Type A personality and always do things quickly. I just need to be more thoughtful of what I am doing and slow down. Make it more of a deliberate process. I can start out that way but a lot of times after a few holes I’m back to the same old bad habits. Just looking for tips on how to be more mindful of what I’m doing and stay in the process.
Careful with changing tempo if you are one way or the other. It may help to “slow down” a little but doing it too much could hurt more than help. Find a count or feel that makes it click for you.

Back