Need wedge grind advice on SM8 54 degree

odshot68

Reaction score
I have been playing a Vokey SM8 60 degree D grind that I really like. I have tried a 54 degree S grind but I dig it too much. So not sure if I should get a 54D or 54F grind. Can anyone compare the two and pro/con of each. Thanks!

Depends on what you want to do with your 54°. If mostly for full shots or bunkers, the F will be fine. if you want more versatility (i.e. opening the face), then the D might be a better choice.

Would the F be better on tighter lie chips than the D grind?

The D is made with sand and versatility in mind. It is a high bounce club with verstility. The F is for more stratforward shots. I use an F with 12* of bounce as my main chipping club at 52* and I love it. We have some tight aprons on our course and it works very well for me.

I just replaced my SM7 54-12F with a 52-08F so I would say no. The D has slightly lower bounce than the F. I wanted lower loft and less bounce. The muni course I play has alot tight lies (no grass).

General Answer. Depends on your technique -- if you want to open up the face sometimes (D) on chips or go square (F), ball position, extent of hands forward, and how aggressive you are (digging or just removing grass). Tough to answer.

Back