Need your ruling on 2 shots

So, I went back this morning after losing sleep over this and the yellow stakes are actually so close to the stone wall that a portion of the wall extends out of the hazard into the fairway and my ball was at least a foot outside the hazard. I'm sure they do this so they don't have to move the stakes while mowing, but I'm going to ask the pro to put the stakes a foot away from the stones so this isn't an issue in the future. I still think a stone wall crossing "the fairway" should allow free relief.

I think I read somewhere that hazards have to be clearly marked to be determined a hazard?
Had to re-check this morning and I was definitely outside the hazard.

Relief is allowed from all man made obstructions which are not within a hazard.

Unless there is a local rule to the contrary.

Without more information or having been there with regards to Scenario 1 I would say that he should get relief. Regarding Scenario 2 unless you see the ball go into the hazard it is a lost ball you can't make an assumption. This means stroke and distance (although with the rule changes there may be a different option. On Scenario 2 in a friendly match I would probably let the person work off the assumption that the ball was in the hazard unless I thought it wasn't. In match play you could do that but in a medal event you have to protect the field and it has to be a lost ball.

Without more information or having been there with regards to Scenario 1 I would say that he should get relief. Regarding Scenario 2 unless you see the ball go into the hazard it is a lost ball you can't make an assumption. This means stroke and distance (although with the rule changes there may be a different option. On Scenario 2 in a friendly match I would probably let the person work off the assumption that the ball was in the hazard unless I thought it wasn't. In match play you could do that but in a medal event you have to protect the field and it has to be a lost ball.
You are a man after my own heart :). I agree with you on both.

"Local/course Rules" is really a separate subject. Before a competition starts it should be established whether play will be governed by USGA Rules, local Rules, or both.

Back