FernDog

Reaction score
Handicap
I just read on multiple outlets that Neil Peart has passed away from brain cancer at 67. I hope it's not true but if so, how may air drum solos should be played in his honor today? Neil provided so much of my teenage music background and still does today. Truly a master at his craft and a hell of a songwriter. He will be missed by so many music fans. I saw Rush twice in concert but wished to have seen them more than that. Let's hear your favorite song, story, album or memory of this legend.
Favorite song: Subdivisions
Favorite drum solo: YYZ/Tom Sawyer

yepper, I read it a short time ago myself

Another good one gone. :(

A true innovator in rock, truly will be missed!

I was (am) and huge Rush fan... Neil Peart is one of the best. RIP

Always loved listening to him. Hate it that we've lost another absolutely astounding one.

What a bummer

Sad news. Unfortunately this is going to be more frequent with the bands of my youth... Keith Richards can't really live forever, can he?

Ugh, this sucks so bad. RIP, Neil.

Another good one... rest easy.

This is one of my most prized possessions. I got it by writing them a nice letter and mailing this record sleeve to Nationwide Arena before a concert in 2010. As a drummer since I was in 5th grade this leaves me heartbroken more than I ever thought it would.

45432_1540992880330_5695853_n.jpg

If I remember correctly, he took that trip and was on the road for months after his ex-wife and daughter died in a car crash.
His daughter was killed in a car accident and his wife succumbed to cancer a few months later.

Rush has always been my favorite band and I never missed an opportunity to see them live. This really sucks.

RIP Neil :cry:

This is one of my most prized possessions. I got it by writing them a nice letter and mailing this record sleeve to Nationwide Arena before a concert in 2010. As a drummer since I was in 5th grade this leaves me heartbroken more than I ever thought it would.

View attachment 8921947

That is an incredible memory to own. Glad you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's incredible how such a thing leaves such an empty feeling. Rush has been part of my life since I was probably 10 years old. Very few days have gone by where I haven't listened to their music. My xbox gamertag is wadesworld2112.

I think there were other drummers who were better technical drummers. But I don't know there was anyone who was a better composer of drum parts. His rhythms were so well constructed. And I'm absolutely certain there's nobody in rock-and-roll that can hold a candle to him as a lyricist.

His death fit perfectly with his persona: very private and not drawing attention to himself.

RIP Neil. I was never your friend, but you were mine.

Last edited:
This one really hits me - I'm a huge Rush fan and to me, Neil and Keith Moon are the two greatest rock drummers of all time.

I have a buddy who is an even bigger fan and has seen Rush in concert over 60 times. He won't be going to work tomorrow.

If I remember correctly, he took that trip and was on the road for months after his ex-wife and daughter died in a car crash.
His daughter was killed in a car accident and his wife succumbed to cancer a few months later.

Rush has always been my favorite band and I never missed an opportunity to see them live. This really sucks.

RIP Neil :cry:

Yep. His book about that time in his life is really really good.

My wife told me about this when I got home from playing late this afternoon. He certainly had a ton of talent and it is very sad to see him pass. One of my favorite bands in my formative years. RIP.

Limelight is the tops for me as far as Rush songs.

Jammed Moving Pictures on the hour drive home. When I got home, my wife was sad for me. My teenage kids said, “who is that?” Music was everything as a kid, it’s different now but can’t count how many times we were singing Tom Sawyer with air guitars and drums flying around on the long bus rides for away soccer games in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one really hits me - I'm a huge Rush fan and to me, Neil and Keith Moon are the two greatest rock drummers of all time.

I have a buddy who is an even bigger fan and has seen Rush in concert over 60 times. He won't be going to work tomorrow.
You nailed it for me. Two of my all time favorite drummers.

Back