Nelly Korda swing

I finally found the thread again! Forgot where it was, but I wanted to say that when I played yesterday I was seriously smoothing my irons and I honestly think it was partly from watching these videos of her swing. The one that endlessly repeats was pretty stuck in my brain.

I've been trying to channel my inner Nelly out there still. Tall and smooth.

That **** works.

Her swing is interesting to watch from a technical pov. Would you say it's single or double plane?

Her arms at impact are away from her body and very straight in line with her club like Bryson. But at set up they are very low hanging straight down which is the norm. Yet her club path seems identical on both backswing and downswing. None of that bowing the wrists at the top, shallowing the club or tucking the right elbow in.

Is it a bit of both?

Her swing is interesting to watch from a technical pov. Would you say it's single or double plane?

Her arms at impact are away from her body and very straight in line with her club like Bryson. But at set up they are very low hanging straight down which is the norm. Yet her club path seems identical on both backswing and downswing. None of that bowing the wrists at the top, shallowing the club or tucking the right elbow in.

Is it a bit of both?

We may want to focus on what she thinks she needs to improve = probably the lead upper arm more against the body in the downswing. At least I thought I saw a video of that image

We may want to focus on what she thinks she needs to improve = probably the lead upper arm more against the body in the downswing. At least I thought I saw a video of that image
Has she said she wants that?

Is it a bit of both?

most everything seems pretty square throughout until the club is parallel to the ground before impact where she flexes the left wrist then rotates her lower body open into impact.

Here is someone's analysis - problem is I don't know if this is recent work since she rejoined Wheelan in January or not.

At around 18 minute mark, you see clubbed not staying outside on backswing and lead arm close to body on downswing But in more recent videos, probably Olympic - club head is more outside back and down, arms are semi-close to body and then separates. You tell me.

Now look at 2 min mark in the bunker and 5:48 on the course. Click on this - I guess NBC did not want to show it.

I've been trying to channel my inner Nelly out there...
I’m trying to channel my inner Mo Martin, i’d love to have her game.
Around 235 yd avg driver distance, 85% fairways, 70% greens, and a scoring avg about 71 :cool:

Yesterday, looks like upper part of lead arm is more connected to body on downswing in comparison, looking right after ball contact from this angle

Haha. No wonder mine left then, she likely thought I had a crush on Hamfist, 🤣

In general I’d rather watch women golf. They just don’t crap the bed like us guys do most of the time. They have better swings. They also must play nicer courses as the aesthetics are just much better? 🤷‍♂️
FIFY

Oh, to be young, and tall, and athletic.

Yeah, umm no, 🤣

I was both shocked and impressed that you played Rugby though. You don’t really strike me as the Rugby type for some reason?

I have seen your foot wedge-fu in person though so if you could apply that to Rugby, I can buy it.

Yeah, umm no, 🤣

I was both shocked and impressed that you played Rugby though. You don’t really strike me as the Rugby type for some reason?

I have seen your foot wedge-fu in person though so if you could apply that to Rugby, I can buy it.
I made up for being small, slow, and weak with youthful zeal.

About 2013 Lydia Ko broke into the LPGA with a very similiar effortless, natural swing

until: DL got a hold of her to promote his latest swing method(another bomb).
Hopefully Lydia has regained some of her natural swing.
"swing your swing, not some idea of a swing" as AP put it.
that DL didnt ruin her career entirely.
Can only hope the swing gurus and fitness trainers leave NK alone
(wishful thinking. Too much $$ to be made)

About 2013 Lydia Ko broke into the LPGA with a very similiar effortless, natural swing

until: DL got a hold of her to promote his latest swing method(another bomb).
Hopefully Lydia has regained some of her natural swing.
"swing your swing, not some idea of a swing" as AP put it.
that DL didnt ruin her career entirely.
Can only hope the swing gurus and fitness trainers leave NK alone
(wishful thinking. Too much $$ to be made)

Korda went back to Wheelan, her original instructor, I think, at the beginning of the year, and has had decent results. :ROFLMAO:

Korda went back to Wheelan, her original instructor, I think, at the beginning of the year, and has had decent results. :ROFLMAO:
Too bad Lydia didnt stick with her coach from age of 8 in New Zealand.

Too bad Lydia didnt stick with her coach from age of 8 in New Zealand.

Yes, I read about that after she dumped DL.

Nelly is not a Drive-Holder and looks like she has a high handle twist velocity (HTV) even with a strong lead hand grip.

Jury still out whether golfers that rotate their lead forearm very fast through impact are more timing dependent than 'Drive-Holders' for accuracy.

Looks like Nelly has superb timing even with a high HTV.

Look at the left image and the back of her lead hand a few feet from impact ( its facing the ball-target line) then look at the centre and right images where her left 'forearm/wrist/hand' has actively rotated through impact .

1629421607889.png

Now take a look at Brooke Henderson who is a Drive Holder and also has a strong left hand grip .

If you look at the far left image a few feet from impact you will note that there less active left forearm/wrist/hand rotation happening through impact compared to Nelly.

In my opinion , I think Brooke's swing is less timing dependent than Nelly but both have superb timing regarding squaring the clubface by impact.

1629422494590.png

PS. A 'Drive Holder' type hand release action through impact is where the clubface is square to the club path for several inches post impact.

Last edited:
@WILDTHING I noticed Nelly's forearm rotation - my instructor does not teach the method she uses, but I was looking more for her tempo, transition, weight transfer, hips getting out of the way, swing to the left. Still a mystery to me as to her weight shaft - just seems as if that lead hip gets out of the way very actively and that gets her on that front leg. But I love the swing

Good pickup on the forearm rotation. While I am not taught that rotation, I believe my lead wrist is more passive while releasing (rotating).

Last edited:
Nelly is not a Drive-Holder and looks like she has a high handle twist velocity (HTV) even with a strong lead hand grip.

Jury still out whether golfers that rotate their lead forearm very fast through impact are more timing dependent than 'Drive-Holders' for accuracy.

Looks like Nelly has superb timing even with a high HTV.

Look at the left image and the back of her lead hand a few feet from impact ( its facing the ball-target line) then look at the centre and right images where her left 'forearm/wrist/hand' has actively rotated through impact .

View attachment 9023278

Now take a look at Brooke Henderson who is a Drive Holder and also has a strong left hand grip .

If you look at the far left image a few feet from impact you will note that there less active left forearm/wrist/hand rotation happening through impact compared to Nelly.

In my opinion , I think Brooke's swing is less timing dependent than Nelly but both have superb timing regarding squaring the clubface by impact.

View attachment 9023281

PS. A 'Drive Holder' type hand release action through impact is where the clubface is square to the club path for several inches post impact.
A passive release has never computed in my golf brain. It’s natural for me to actively rotate/release forearm/wrist/hand through impact. Nelly’s release is the type that I was taught and have hit a zillion balls to ingrain. As I stated in the original post, I could (and probably will) spend hours watching that OP swing. 😀

Back