jkj

Reaction score
Handicap
20+
I’m looking for something to put behind my indoor net to absorb impacts and protect the drywall. Currently using some 1/2” foam boards from Lowe’s.
Doesn’t really return the ball as I hoped. Pulling it away from the wall really isn’t an option with the distances I have.
Any ideas?
01d1a51b0d9c983ffdde140cfdee99e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like an old gym mate or wrestling mat might work. Maybe even some yoga mats?

I've seen guys drape moving blankets behind their nets with good results... maybe that's an option?

The heavier painters canvas tarps work deadening the blow pretty well, most hardware box stores sell them.

Got sidetracked. So it was the moving blanket for the win. $9 at uhaul. Also covers the foam protecting the wall with some folded xl uhaul boxes to spread out the impact. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moving blankets from Harbor Freight. They're not expensive, and will take a beating.

If not that, a 5X7 throw rug from a big box store.

I've used both with no problems.

And I'd hang it right behind the net, not on the wall. This so the rug can absorb the force before it gets to the wall. If it's hung right against the wall, that force can travel through it since it has no "give" to it. It probably would not embed, but it could leave dents!

I would practice my archery for bow hunting in my back yard. I used the cheapest bargain store tarp about a yard behind my target. I almost never missed the target, but occasionally a mistake is made. When an arrow would encounter the tarp, that was allowed to hang free, the tarp would move on impact and just gradually suck the energy out of that arrow, which would fall harmlessly to the ground. A rigid surface allows for the instantaneous transfer of energy from the arrow shaft to whatever it hits!

I learned this at my first 3D shoot at a local hunting club. I didn't lubricate my arrows before firing at ethafoam, animal shaped targets, and expended a whole lot of energy trying to get my arrows out of them!

Last edited:
I have seen an old carpet. Get 2-2x4’s and sandwich the carpet between them, then hang behind your net but approx 6” from wall if possible. When things get run down, (if) you can take down assembly, change carpet and re-install. I bet you can get a piece of remnant carpet for cheap.
Hope this helps.

Back