Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown

Is it though? Netflix's product is their content. You get access to the content by paying a fee, and agreeing to the terms of use. The terms of use have always limited the sharing of passwords between locations. They just haven't found a way to truly manage that on their end. Now that they have, and they intend to charge people for the extra access, folks are bothered...
yeah, it is to me for sure. Sharing a password with a family member vs stealing from a grocery store?

Do they not realize that most other streaming services don't do this so they will just lose subscribers.

I am close to canceling a number of streaming services. This will be the first after we watch Cobra Kai 5
I can stream pretty much anything (illegally). There are many sites you can watch cobra kai on other than Netflix just saying..
1 tip don't dl anything from these sites!! shouldn't need to be said but you know.

Lucky for me the Canadian version of Netflix has never been worth anything, even giving it away probably wouldn't generate any more users.

I do find it kind of comical how the focus of the shift is away from the evil cable companies to multiple subscription services. I think a lot of people get caught off guard when they realize how much each of their services costs them each month.

yeah, it is to me for sure. Sharing a password with a family member vs stealing from a grocery store?
So "stealing" extra access to a video is different than taking something from a store? I suppose I don't care as much about those that share passwords, so maybe not exactly the same. The reality is the end result is the same. Higher costs for everyone else, and stricter rules.

Im
Kind of on the fence with this one. I kind of find them similar. Two brothers let’s say, both adults, living in separate places, sharing a password? That’s different to me than a mother and father sharing their password with their children.

Im with you there. I mean its in the T&Cs that its for the household, not 17 friends, 6 family members, etc etc.

My only concern is how does it impact college aged kids. My kids aren't in the same state for 9 months of the year but are part of my household. We ran into this issue with YouTube TV where after a few months it would shut my kids out.

My only concern is how does it impact college aged kids. My kids aren't in the same state for 9 months of the year but are part of my household. We ran into this issue with YouTube TV where after a few months it would shut my kids out.
I would say for adults they would have to pay for the service. Many offer education discounts. How did it work when you had cable?

Im
Kind of on the fence with this one. I kind of find them similar. Two brothers let’s say, both adults, living in separate places, sharing a password? That’s different to me than a mother and father sharing their password with their children.
It reminds me of software piracy back in the day. For some reason, we as humans can accept that using a single software license on two computers within the same household is "acceptable" despite the fact that per the license agreement it's illegal. We take the same position on streaming services. It doesn't make it right, or legal, but it seems to be the accepted norm.

Sure, play fast and loose as a startup… give it away then, once you get people into it, crack down on the rules and make everyone pay more.

classic schoolyard pot dealer tactics 🤣

Will have to see how this works out. With my current work situation it’s common for both my wife and I to be using streaming providers in desperate locations. Can be in same house one day and 120 to 550 miles away from each other the next. Still same family same subscription but in different viewing locations

Subscribers will be asked to fork out extra to add members who don't live with them, in the latest crackdown on account sharing.

The streaming giant is already testing this in multiple countries and Netflix said that it will expand its test to other countries, including the US, next year.
1C388EA4-3165-4148-A94A-8EB640C1AF8C.jpeg
Remember this?

Im
It's the "family plan" hahaha

So "stealing" extra access to a video is different than taking something from a store? I suppose I don't care as much about those that share passwords, so maybe not exactly the same. The reality is the end result is the same. Higher costs for everyone else, and stricter rules.
I think that's more what I am speaking to, that it is such a common thing, and no one is actually reading ALL the fine print on any of that stuff.

Stealing from a store is a hard stop.
Sharing a password is hardly that.

I get the argument, but it's a bit heavier than having someone's password.
Not really. Be it shoplifting, jumping-out the electric meter, using an unlicensed copy of software, or illegitimately sharing access to a streaming service: Theft is theft.

Not really. Be it shoplifting, jumping-out the electric meter, using an unlicensed copy of software, or illegitimately sharing access to a streaming service: Theft is theft.
That's your perspective and I am sure aligns with a lot of people. I'm simply saying if someone comes up to me and says "I just store from that store" vs "I am using my brother's Netflix password" only one would give me pause.

I think that's more what I am speaking to, that it is such a common thing, and no one is actually reading ALL the fine print on any of that stuff.

Stealing from a store is a hard stop.
Sharing a password is hardly that.
If they were enforced the same, would you think the same way you do currently? I think that might change perspectives, but I am also not advocating that it needs to change.

If a person can be sited or arrested for stealing a piece of clothing or food that's less than $20, why shouldn't the punishment be the same for stealing access to a streaming site? Just because it's not as easy and quick to prove doesn't make it any better. Again, not advocating for this to change just discussing :)

Artists and software designers have been getting killed financially for years because their intellectual property gets stolen/"shared" and disseminated without them getting paid what they are worth.

Netflix wants to keep providing good content... which costs $$... more today than it ever has. Shouldn't they be able to be paid, and in turn pay the casts and crews appropriately?

If they were enforced the same, would you think the same way you do currently? I think that might change perspectives, but I am also not advocating that it needs to change.

If a person can be sited or arrested for stealing a piece of clothing or food that's less than $20, why shouldn't the punishment be the same for stealing access to a streaming site? Just because it's not as easy and quick to prove doesn't make it any better. Again, not advocating for this to change just discussing :)

Artists and software designers have been getting killed financially for years because their intellectual property gets stolen/"shared" and disseminated without them getting paid what they are worth.

Netflix wants to keep providing good content... which costs $$... more today than it ever has. Shouldn't they be able to be paid, and in turn pay the casts and crews appropriately?
Unless you steal over a certain amount you won't be charged nowadays so Please explain to me how this is the same as stealing from a store? There is no threat of violence when sharing a password but it is Implied in a Robbery or theft at a retail location.

I have 2 kids. Yea we share passwords we all subscribe to different services sometimes they live with me So am I only breaking the rules 50% of the time? Just curious.

I would say letting 10different people use your logins might be a bit much.

JMHO

I get where they're coming from, and while a little annoyed I just have to make sure we aren't hit with any fees.. Netflix did come out with a lot of movies this year with big name actors, but they weren't great. Kind of sucks paying for mediocrity

Unless you steal over a certain amount you won't be charged nowadays so Please explain to me how this is the same as stealing from a store? There is no threat of violence when sharing a password but it is Implied in a Robbery or theft at a retail location.

I have 2 kids. Yea we share passwords we all subscribe to different services sometimes they live with me So am I only breaking the rules 50% of the time? Just curious.

JMHO
Where I am... it only takes a complaining witness, and the person can be charged. They aren't hauled off to jail, but they have to deal with court, punishments, etc. There are probably areas where that is less likely. Get served with a trespassing notice and sent on their way.

Relating stealing from a store to stealing from Netflix, or any other provider, isn't hard. If you are taking something without paying for it, and you know there is a cost associated with it, then you are stealing. Pretty simple.

I don't feel bad for Netflix, I am sure they are doing just fine. And to the stealing, meh - they are using a legitimate account. Compared to the other things mentioned, it's not taking something away to be sold. Charge for concurrent viewing and those 'shared' passwords will slow a fair bit I am sure.

Pirated work feels more like the unlocked firestick than the borrowed password, if we're trying to achieve apples to apples here. I get completely what you are saying, but I just don't personally view it in the same light.

JMHO
I think this is more in line with what I assume is the perfect resolution, which actually already exists. You pay for the amount of logins that can view at a time, and suddenly those borrowed passwords are going to be limited to the number of concurrent viewers being paid for. Seems sensible enough.

I don't feel bad for Netflix, I am sure they are doing just fine. And to the stealing, meh - they are using a legitimate account. Compared to the other things mentioned, it's not taking something away to be sold. Charge for concurrent viewing and those 'shared' passwords will slow a fair bit I am sure.

Pirated work feels more like the unlocked firestick than the borrowed password, if we're trying to achieve apples to apples here. I get completely what you are saying, but I just don't personally view it in the same light.
I'm not saying feel bad for Netflix... or Walmart, Target, most chain stores, etc... They all have deep pockets. I don't think it makes it better, and I don't think you really do either.

Unlocked streaming device is just about the same as a shared password in my mind. Probably a little worse, but not a whole lot different. Reading the fine print is up to the account holder... so if they get dinged for breaking the rules, so be it :) I suppose this is more about the person sharing the password than the one using it.

I think the problem with families sharing, is that it opens the door for more abuse of the system. Netflix could adjust their model to include a way for it to work for a small fee, which would work for most. I know a scholarship house in Boulder that used to have 50 kids using the same account... Pretty sure that got cracked down on awhile ago.

I'm not saying feel bad for Netflix... or Walmart, Target, most chain stores, etc... They all have deep pockets. I don't think it makes it better, and I don't think you really do either.

Unlocked streaming device is just about the same as a shared password in my mind. Probably a little worse, but not a whole lot different. Reading the fine print is up to the account holder... so if they get dinged for breaking the rules, so be it :) I suppose this is more about the person sharing the password than the one using it.

I think the problem with families sharing, is that it opens the door for more abuse of the system. Netflix could adjust their model to include a way for it to work for a small fee, which would work for most. I know a scholarship house in Boulder that used to have 50 kids using the same account... Pretty sure that got cracked down on awhile ago.
How is that possible? When we use ours, if my Son and my wife are on it at the same time, I am locked out from watching anything.

I think this is more in line with what I assume is the perfect resolution, which actually already exists. You pay for the amount of logins that can view at a time, and suddenly those borrowed passwords are going to be limited to the number of concurrent viewers being paid for. Seems sensible enough.
Honestly I think this is where it’s going. They embraced it previously and to walk it back as theft now would be idiocy. So there will be a small charge added to increase number of devices that use the password.

Back