Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown

Honestly I think this is where it’s going. They embraced it previously and to walk it back as theft now would be idiocy. So there will be a small charge added to increase number of devices that use the password.
and meanwhile, my neighbor who has too many kids, is sobbing gently. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: JB
How is that possible? When we use ours, if my Son and my wife are on it at the same time, I am locked out from watching anything.
This wasn't recent, but it went on for a long time :ROFLMAO: I've been locked out myself...

This wasn't recent, but it went on for a long time :ROFLMAO: I've been locked out myself...
It happened to me. I pay a buddy at work X amount for his YT tv. He just added me to his account. Once or twice I have been booted off for 5 seconds but was able to continue watching my show.

@Coloradomrg is this bad? Is it worse or the same as using one of the 50 streaming sites to watch something?

The Funny thing is I always know when my daughter breaks up with a boyfriend because she changes the Password on the Netflix account!:ROFLMAO:

@Coloradomrg is this bad? Is it worse or the same as using one of the 50 streaming sites to watch something?
I wouldn't call it worse, but If it violates the TOS you or he should be ok with whatever comes of it ;)

Not surprised by this in the least.

when was the last time anyone actually read the TOS in full?
I can’t even get people to read 20 pages in the DH thread. Anyone who says they read the entire Netflix TOS is not being truthful 😂

Last edited:
Not reading them fully, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them when you paid for the service :ROFLMAO:

When's the last time you read every line on a car purchase contract, or a real estate contract (or any long winded contract)? Lots of potential gotchas there too... and most people still don't read or understand them.

I would say for adults they would have to pay for the service. Many offer education discounts. How did it work when you had cable?

We didn’t really use it when we had cable so I don’t know if it would have worked.

Not reading them fully, doesn't change the fact that you agreed to them when you paid for the service :ROFLMAO:

When's the last time you read every line on a car purchase contract, or a real estate contract (or any long winded contract)? Lots of potential gotchas there too... and most people still don't read or understand them.
Did I say it did?

I was just casually observing while laughing about it. Just waiting for Apple to call so I have to join the human CentiPad.

Subscribers will be asked to fork out extra to add members who don't live with them, in the latest crackdown on account sharing.

The streaming giant is already testing this in multiple countries and Netflix said that it will expand its test to other countries, including the US, next year.
I think all streaming is in trouble. They don’t want sharing, understandably, and yet they keep raising pricing to a point they don’t understand the reason people cut the cord was to save money. It’s now almost if not more expensive to have multiple streaming companies. It’s the same as cable and I see a future where multiple streaming companies are grouped together and sold as a package. Wait I think I saw something like that before.

I think all streaming is in trouble. They don’t want sharing, understandably, and yet they keep raising pricing to a point they don’t understand the reason people cut the cord was to save money. It’s now almost if not more expensive to have multiple streaming companies. It’s the same as cable and I see a future where multiple streaming companies are grouped together and sold as a package. Wait I think I saw something like that before.
I think you will see more bundles and tiers in the streaming wars. HBO Max & Discovery + will combine into one next year. Also I think you will see multiple pricing tiers based on Ads or Ad Free in the coming year.

I think you will see more bundles and tiers in the streaming wars. HBO Max & Discovery + will combine into one next year. Also I think you will see multiple pricing tiers based on Ads or Ad Free in the coming year.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves with streaming. My wife and I almost never watch live tv. Everything is taped and watched after so we can fast forward commercials. The only commercials I have to watch are when streaming. If more streaming companies move to ads or pay a higher price the more I probably will reconsider.

I sure get the need to wrangle runaway sharing. My SIL shared her password with all her friends and damned near panicked when I told her she'd be blocked out as there was a limit on TV's streaming at any one time.

As for me, Netflix was always for myself, my wife and two kids. When they moved out, they took the already known to them password with them. Different households so against their terms of use, not at all pleading innocence here. But it's the same amount of people using the service as ever.

Anytime I get an alert of a new device signing in, I group text the kids to confirm that it's them. Only Netflix's price hike would have me considering dropping them. This, not at all, because it'd be up to the "kids" to get their own accounts. No matter where they go, wherever they'd call home, I'll forever consider them a part of my own household.

You want to read something crazy go read TicTok's TOS. That is some crazy sh!t right there.

You want to read something crazy go read TicTok's TOS. That is some crazy sh!t right there.
TikTok terrifies me for many reasons, the TOS not being one of them.

Refuse to go on there.

If they were enforced the same, would you think the same way you do currently? I think that might change perspectives, but I am also not advocating that it needs to change.

If a person can be sited or arrested for stealing a piece of clothing or food that's less than $20, why shouldn't the punishment be the same for stealing access to a streaming site? Just because it's not as easy and quick to prove doesn't make it any better. Again, not advocating for this to change just discussing :)

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here, are you Lars Ulrich?

I kid, of course - no, seriously are you?

I agree with what you are saying. I earn residuals from streaming, and VOD, and have been anti-piracy since the early days. But I have a concern regarding this.

Netflix and the like have always been perceived/promoted themselves as household brands. This is synonymous with family brand. It's long been expected that one household/family shares one account. Why should Netflix be the determining what qualifies as your family? What is someone is merely traveling? Rather than "cracking down" why not just limit the number of logins at any given time? This method seems to work fine for other platforms - if you want more access, you pay for it.

Artists and software designers have been getting killed financially for years because their intellectual property gets stolen/"shared" and disseminated without them getting paid what they are worth.

Netflix wants to keep providing good content... which costs $$... more today than it ever has. Shouldn't they be able to be paid, and in turn pay the casts and crews appropriately?

Now we need to address this, and nip this in the bud.

Over the last decade, Netflix has been leading the charge in finding every legal way to low ball cast and crew, by circumventing union rules with fancy new terms (that aren't recognized in contracts) and flat out refusing to pay (including residuals) So f**k Netflix. I have no interest in their best interest.

Does one have to to kind of know that giving a password to someone not in your house to use your “cable” isn’t right?
My issue is that they are walking back what they embraced before.

They are also in such a big targeting mode over it believing that it is the reason for lack of growth and actual shrinking rather than lack of original content and better offers elsewhere.

If they try to charge me extra for my daughter in college 40 miles away to use it I will likely just cancel.

Does one have to to kind of know that giving a password to someone not in your house to use your “cable” isn’t right?
My issue is that they are walking back what they embraced before.

They are also in such a big targeting mode over it believing that it is the reason for lack of growth and actual shrinking rather than lack of original content and better offers elsewhere.
I think in the depths of my perspective that password sharing isn't that bad is that reality... that at one time they were perfectly cool with it.

So magically they aren't, so suddenly we shouldn't be either? Nahhh

Do they not realize that most other streaming services don't do this so they will just lose subscribers.

I can stream pretty much anything (illegally). There are many sites you can watch cobra kai on other than Netflix just saying..
1 tip don't dl anything from these sites!! shouldn't need to be said but you know.

From my understanding it's not illegal to stream it, it's illegal to supply the stream. (I do the same thing)

Back