Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown

I think in the depths of my perspective that password sharing isn't that bad is that reality... that at one time they were perfectly cool with it.

So magically they aren't, so suddenly we shouldn't be either? Nahhh
I tend to agree with this.
The difference being that so many other services never were okay with it and have been lumped into the same side of it. On one side you have the visual of son going off to college and using family's password. On the other side, the visual is two mobile homes next to each other with a coaxial cable running from one to the other to share cable.

Somewhere in the middle this lies and its such an easy fix. Charge by the device or by the location if you are so worried about it and see who stays and who leaves. Instead what they have done is continue to raise prices and its not going to get any better.

Everybody wants their piece and it trickles down to the viewer.

I will be completely honest. I have two adult brothers and we share our passwords so we are all not paying for everything. Between the 3 of us we all have access to basically everything. I do not see a problem because if we didn’t share. None of us would be watching Netflix. We have actually talked about it and we would probably just have disney and Hulu since it is a package if we had to each do it individually.

So in trying to crack down on multiple users Netflix is just going to lose users they have..
because they will just cut out the weakest link. Which is Netflix.

I will be completely honest. I have two adult brothers and we share our passwords so we are all not paying for everything. Between the 3 of us we all have access to basically everything. I do not see a problem because if we didn’t share. None of us would be watching Netflix. We have actually talked about it and we would probably just have disney and Hulu since it is a package if we had to each do it individually.

So in trying to crack down on multiple users Netflix is just going to lose users they have..
because they will just cut out the weakest link. Which is Netflix.
I was reading an article yesterday about exactly that.. They polled a bunch of netflix users and something like 27% of them said if things change or prices go up they are going to cancel. That's kind of catastrophic for the platform.

They could embrace the family by having a family style plan and limiting the number of streams.

YouTube TV does this. You designate who is in your family, and they log-in using their own credentials. It's annoying when the total number of streams is exceeded, but you learn to deal with it.

From my understanding it's not illegal to stream it, it's illegal to supply the stream. (I do the same thing)
I think your understanding of the Law is flawed.
Ohhh about 12 years ago I received multiple letters from Verizon telling me to stop streaming. They had been contacted by a copyright holder.
I am pretty sure you are breaking some law by streaming it. Just sayin

Honestly I think this is where it’s going. They embraced it previously and to walk it back as theft now would be idiocy. So there will be a small charge added to increase number of devices that use the password.

They are kind of doing this already. I know it says "Only people who live with you may use your account.", but they are limiting devices currently "Watch on 4 different devices at the same time with Premium, 2 with Standard and 1 with Basic.". It's one of the reasons I'm on the highest plan they offer so we can have 4 devices on at the same time but also had shared the password with the BIL's family.

I was reading an article yesterday about exactly that.. They polled a bunch of netflix users and something like 27% of them said if things change or prices go up they are going to cancel. That's kind of catastrophic for the platform.

I'm in this boat, not so much for the shared password and pay per login aspect but mainly for the price. For the $20 I pay for their elite plan it's the most expensive subscription service I have. If they limit the access and raise the prices I'm out. One of the main reasons I have Netflix was for the kids and the ability to download shows and watch offline while traveling. This isn't much of an issue anymore as other streaming services provide this.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here, are you Lars Ulrich?

I kid, of course - no, seriously are you?

I agree with what you are saying. I earn residuals from streaming, and VOD, and have been anti-piracy since the early days. But I have a concern regarding this.

Netflix and the like have always been perceived/promoted themselves as household brands. This is synonymous with family brand. It's long been expected that one household/family shares one account. Why should Netflix be the determining what qualifies as your family? What is someone is merely traveling? Rather than "cracking down" why not just limit the number of logins at any given time? This method seems to work fine for other platforms - if you want more access, you pay for it.

Now we need to address this, and nip this in the bud.

Over the last decade, Netflix has been leading the charge in finding every legal way to low ball cast and crew, by circumventing union rules with fancy new terms (that aren't recognized in contracts) and flat out refusing to pay (including residuals) So f**k Netflix. I have no interest in their best interest.
Not Lars :ROFLMAO: Just know a lot of people in the music business, and respect the battles they have had to fight to get paid fairly for their work. I can't speak to Netflix's practices (but do not doubt you) - but I think in the case of my argument you could replace Netflix with any number of providers that offer similar services... This will become an issue for all of them. The provider that comes up with the most palatable solution for their customer base will be the one that comes out on top.

Not Lars :ROFLMAO: Just know a lot of people in the music business, and respect the battles they have had to fight to get paid fairly for their work. I can't speak to Netflix's practices (but do not doubt you) - but I think in the case of my argument you could replace Netflix with any number of providers that offer similar services... This will become an issue for all of them. The provider that comes up with the most palatable solution for their customer base will be the one that comes out on top.
I will say, the music industry is vastly different that the film industry in the way talent is paid, but yes this is the cola wars all over again.

Back