Never ending quest for better

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
As has been said before, you cannot beat the game of golf, you can only play it.

A lot of you know, I am a late comer to the game.

I have spent a lot of time working on improving my game.

Two years ago, when a friend shot a 90, I was in awe. Now, I expect to do that or better.

I was a high 20s handicap. I wanted to be in the teens, then the mid teens. Here I sit, at a 14, (14.9, but a 14!).

I have shot a PB 81, and several rounds in the low 80s. Scores I did not really think I would be able to put up.

I am in constant search of improvement. I take lessons, practice, and play a lot.

I am way ahead of where I started.

I "know" I am a decent golfer, but I do not "feel" like a decent golfer.

There are players on this board who would kill to play the game and scores I play, and there are players on this board who would kill themselves if they played the game and scores I play.

So I have come to the conclusion that golf can be a never ending quest for better, if that is your goal. There will always be that one shot, or one putt in the last round where you could have shot better.

What do you think it will take for you to feel like a decent golfer?

I like the sentiment of all you said.

I am concerned/intrigued about the prolific nature of the word "better" in society and especially the media culture.
I'm sure others have noticed this as well? It's like there is one ad agency for every product on earth. :unsure:
It's a little scary/3rdReich in context of all going on in the world right now. :censored: This idea of constant "improvement."
Sorry for tangent. Love food for thought, always. (y)

What do you think it will take for you to feel like a decent golfer?
Ask me that last year, and I would tell you all the things I have accomplished so far. But despite having accomplished them, I don't feel like I am there. My new goals are sub 80 round, single digit cap, but something tell me when I get there, it won't feel any different.

I played a round with a friend from when I started, and he was commenting "wow, you've really improved" "I don't recognize you as the guy from two years ago", etc. Super nice compliments, and again, I am sure it is probably accurate, but if you ask me, I am not very good.

I am much like you with a slightly higher cap and I used to think I would never score in the 90s, much less the 80s and I have had several rounds in the low 80s, but my score has ups and downs. I may score high 90s and then the next week score low 80s on a tough course and shock myself.

Just last week, I played at a course and I was having what I felt was a really bad game. Drives were not synching, irons felt rough and so on, but I still pulled off an 86 and it was because my recovery shots and my chipping was on the money giving me decent putts. They saved my game, but some would consider an 86 disastrous. I still left there feeling like it was a bad game because I did not play well overall.

I think there has to be a place of contentment and satisfaction that exist while we play and also for improvement. I have never felt like what I think is a decent golfer, but what does it mean to feel that way, and what defines a decent golfer?

I do like the idea of the feeling you get when you hit a great shot or what you think is a great shot. Once in a while my drives are way out there (around 260-270 sometimes) which I bask in and if nothing else, I truly enjoy those rare shots.

There are things that challenge some of us in the game such as 3 putts, chips that fall short, slightly off on aim, errant drives, course conditions, and so on. To me attitude to persevere and stay in it is rewarding.

I am much like you with a slightly higher cap and I used to think I would never score in the 90s, much less the 80s and I have had several rounds in the low 80s, but my score has ups and downs. I may score high 90s and then the next week score low 80s on a tough course and shock myself.

Just last week, I played at a course and I was having what I felt was a really bad game. Drives were not synching, irons felt rough and so on, but I still pulled off an 86 and it was because my recovery shots and my chipping was on the money giving me decent putts. They saved my game, but some would consider an 86 disastrous. I still left there feeling like it was a bad game because I did not play well overall.

I think there has to be a place of contentment and satisfaction that exist while we play and also for improvement. I have never felt like what I think is a decent golfer, but what does it mean to feel that way, and what defines a decent golfer?

I do like the idea of the feeling you get when you hit a great shot or what you think is a great shot. Once in a while my drives are way out there (around 260-270 sometimes) which I bask in and if nothing else, I truly enjoy those rare shots.

There are things that challenge some of us in the game such as 3 putts, chips that fall short, slightly off on aim, errant drives, course conditions, and so on. To me attitude to persevere and stay in it is rewarding.
Yep, sounds like we are a lot alike. Even with a decent score, poor play eats at me.

I would hope to reach the spot of "contentment and satisfaction", but not sure where that will be.

To bring it back around, going from a 14 to single digit is gonna be about having a solid plan and being your own caddie for each shot, and minimizing big mistakes/not compounding them. The swing is pretty much there already for ya at this point. Moreso game management now! (y)
Short game, short game, short game.

Ask me that last year, and I would tell you all the things I have accomplished so far. But despite having accomplished them, I don't feel like I am there. My new goals are sub 80 round, single digit cap, but something tell me when I get there, it won't feel any different.

I played a round with a friend from when I started, and he was commenting "wow, you've really improved" "I don't recognize you as the guy from two years ago", etc. Super nice compliments, and again, I am sure it is probably accurate, but if you ask me, I am not very good.
We all seem to be self deprecating and down on our games. You say you're not very good yet can and have shot scores in the low 80's.

I say my game sucks. I've never broken 100. I don't practice. You do.

Are you looking for ways to feel like you're a "good" golfer? Maybe try competition... or play different courses. If you're able to shoot in the 80's at several different courses, then maybe that'll help yo realize you're better than you think you are...

I don't know. I won't give my eye teeth to shoot in the low 80's. I like my teeth:D but I am envious.

I agree. I’m constantly striving to get better... so long as it remains fun, and I’m enjoying the challenge; which I most certainly am!

I think our perceptions tend to persist beyond our reality. You can be a __ now, but if you were higher before being that, or have a preconceived idea of what a __ should be like, most people don't feel like they are that new __ until they've been it for a while. People, especially the ones working to improve, are usually their own worst critics.

golf can be a never ending quest for better, if that is your goal. There will always be that one shot, or one putt in the last round where you could have shot better.

And this ^ pursuit sounds like a life well lived to me. (y)

Great sentiment! Golf is a game for all ages and skill levels!

People, especially the ones working to improve, are usually their own worst critics.
I am my own worst critic. I often play the game and challenge myself and simply reach in and see what I am capable of. Some of the things I thought I could not obtain I have either obtained, or at least touched the goals. I keep thinking about the time when I was thinking it would be impossible for me to score below 90. it seemed SO FAR out of reach.

I would see guys do that and thought how on earth can someone score that well. I scored a number of times in the low 80s and now I am smelling the possible rare chance that I could score under 80, but with my up and down scores, who knows. Hey, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. ;)

I am my own worst critic. I often play the game and challenge myself and simply reach in and see what I am capable of. Some of the things I thought I could not obtain I have either obtained, or at least touched the goals. I keep thinking about the time when I was thinking it would be impossible for me to score below 90. it seemed SO FAR out of reach.

I would see guys do that and thought how on earth can someone score that well. I scored a number of times in the low 80s and now I am smelling the possible rare chance that I could score under 80, but with my up and down scores, who knows. Hey, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. ;)
You aren't alone brother.

I want to be 100% clear here. I expect to be sub 90 every round, I most certainly am not.

On any given day, I can put up an 85, or a 100. Both are rare, but both show up.

Are you looking for ways to feel like you're a "good" golfer? Maybe try competition... or play different courses. If you're able to shoot in the 80's at several different courses, then maybe that'll help yo realize you're better than you think you are...
Good points, and I do all of them.

Again, it's really getting the fact based portion of my brain to line up with the emotional part.

As has been said before, you cannot beat the game of golf, you can only play it.

Two years ago, when a friend shot a 90, I was in awe. Now, I expect to do that or better.

I was a high 20s handicap. I wanted to be in the teens, then the mid teens. Here I sit, at a 14, (14.9, but a 14!).

I have shot a PB 81, and several rounds in the low 80s. Scores I did not really think I would be able to put up.

I am in constant search of improvement. I take lessons, practice, and play a lot.

There are players on this board who would kill to play the game and scores I play, and there are players on this board who would kill themselves if they played the game and scores I play.

So I have come to the conclusion that golf can be a never ending quest for better, if that is your goal. There will always be that one shot, or one putt in the last round where you could have shot better.
So much of that resonates with me!

I'm a 17-18 handicap. PB of 79 (once), normally shoot somewhere in the range of 82-94 on my home course (a relatively short, pretty easy track). I shot an 87 today - at one time I would have been ecstatic with that score, but I came away feeling like I didn't shoot particularly well. On a bad day I'll shoot mid-90s, where a few years ago a bad day would have been 110+.

3 years or so ago, I told a friend I'd be perfectly happy if I could just get to bogey golf - that if I shot 89-90 every round I'd be satisfied. He said "No you won't". I said yes, I really would, and he said "No, because once you've broken 90, you won't be happy with shooting over 90 anymore. And once you break 85, you won't be happy with shooting over 85 anymore. And once you break 80, you won't be happy with shooting over 80 anymore - it never ends."

He was prescient, of course. Now that I can shoot 82-83 on good days, anything more than that doesn't feel like such a good day. And on the rare occasions I shoot 80-81, I'm grinding my teeth thinking about those couple of shots that kept me above the 80 barrier. I definitely expect sub-90, and am not really happy unless I'm sub-85.

As you said, it's a constant search for improvement, but I'm way ahead of where I started.

I guess if I didn’t have rounds of 105 I wouldn’t appreciate the mid 80’s as much. I could be happy with a few less opportunities for that much improvement.

I think most beginning golfers, who stick with the game want to get better. Those with the better, natural talent, and better instruction become a more accomplished golfer, faster. Those electing to learn on their own, with less talent will take the longer road. This is how golf works.

I know I wanted to get better when I first started. How much better was the big question. I knew I didn't like shooting triple digit scores. I eventually settled on mid/low 80s as a goal.

These days I play, and practice a lot to maintain the game I have. "Maintain" is probably the wrong word to use. What I'm actually trying to do slow down my declining game with extra play, and practice.

After quitting the game 3 times and only making half half assed attempts to get my game back on each return, I am back with a vengeance this time around. I'm hitting balls every chance I get now, and actually putting real work into my short game for the first time in my life.

I used to to take my game/swing for granted, and I got away with it for a very long time.

I am paying my dues this time.

I'm about a 13 right now, but I have a goal to be around 8-9 again by fall.

so long as it stays fun while i improve (even if it's infinitesimally small that only i might see), it's all good...the day it becomes a chore just to enjoy playing recreationally, well...there's always yard work.

The challenge and pursuit of improvement is part of the fun of golf. I played the other day with a retired PGA golf pro. He was 78 and shot his age that day. As he said with a big grin, "I've been playing this game for 70 years and still haven't figured it out." (y)

Sounds like you and I are on the same journey. I played a couple of rounds in my early 20's (maybe 10 rounds) then took a 20 year hiatus. Picked up the game 4/5years ago and started playing seriously (as in lots of rounds, not attitude). I was the 110-115 guy and now shoot around 86-89 (with higher and lower thrown in) have worked my way down to a 14.2 HP. Next step to go lower is tighten up my short game. I still average around 36 putts per round. If I could shave 4-5 off per round I'm looking pretty good. Chipping and putting is where it's at! Good luck with your journey!

I must also add that I NEVER practice. I don't hit the range and or spend time grinding it out chipping and putting so I'm realistic with my golf expectations. If I have time to practice it means I have tie to be on the course and I'd rather be golfing and doing something I like vs whacking balls at a range. I very rarely warm up before a round. No practice putts ot chips. Straight to the tee box and away we go! I practice by playing.

Last edited:
Back