Never Too Early - 2021 Setup Changes?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
We are THP’ers! It’s never too early to hypothesize and ho around on what will be in the bag in 2021!

So, what are you looking to change? What are you looking to try? What theoretical releases do you hope to see from companies?

I'm looking forward to trying a few things I think, but waiting till Feb for the full releases:

• Ping G425 - hybrids and fairways (maybe a 4w)?
  • Cobra next release driver
  • Irons - on the fence between trying Mizuno's or Cobras; likely will try both and see what Callaway has in store for 21
I really just can't help myself at this point (but admittedly I'm not trying hard)

Most of my bag will turn over:

Driver: Want to add distance. I first need to work on the swing (don’t get the ss I think I should based on irons ss’s) and then get fit. Ping G425 is in my sights.
3W: More consistency with driver.
Irons: Can I add forgiveness while keeping distance consistency and shot making? I think I can. Srixon ZX7? Shaft choice will run through wedges (happy w zipcore).
Grips: Will test more, size and style. Grips can make a bigger difference than I expected.

Putter will be a Bettinardi exploration: SS28 arm lock will battle against the favored SS9. 😎

Right now there is a high probability my irons get swapped out. Driver is an option also, but I am pretty sure everything else is safe.

Pretty good chance some of my bag will change. :D What exactly will be in the bag when the season starts, I have no idea.

TSi2 10 with Ventus Blue will be taking the driver spot over.

TS2 in the fw spot is on lock. May consider a TSi2 5 wood purchase.

Hybrid spot is still a challenge for me. G410 has been nice in this spot, but I have not been hitting it quite as I’d like. Perhaps a Ventus would help! Lol...

Put a stability shaft in my Scotty, so thinking that will be my gamer for a bit.

Irons will turn over when the Srixon ZX5’s line rolls out. Everything else seems to be in order for now. I may take a flyer on the ZX5 driver, but not a must.

The first thing I am changing is grips. I am hoping switching from standard to midsize grips will be a big improvement in my game. If not then its back to the drawing board:ROFLMAO:

A Ping G425 5 hybrid might be the club to fill a gap between my 6i and 4h. It could lead to new 4 and 6 hybrids.

Last edited:
I finally have played down my stock of golf balls, so I have less than 2 dozen ending the year. That means plenty of room for the new 2021 (hopefully ?!) Z-Star! :D Will also be buying more TP5x... did not get enough time with those this season.

Probably going to revisit balls pretty hard.

Deep dive on drivers after new releases.

I am pretty sure my bag is basically on lock. But I do want to try somethings.

Driver/3w/5w: TM Sim. I don't expect a big enough upgrade for SIM 2.0 and might pick them up on discount.

Irons: MIM irons seem interesting. Hogan's still call for. 620mb might be the best looking blade on the market right now.

Wedges: SM8 and Zipcore still need to try them.

But, given my schedule next year something tells me I won't get any of these (maybe wedges)

Plan on trying the Ping G425 irons and I’ll probably redo my wedge setup.

I switched back to my T200 irons in the scoring slot. They are still rocket ships and play fantastically. I enjoyed my time with the 718 CB's and honestly the gap between T200 and CB is much smaller than itnernet chatter would lead anyone to believe, but there is a gap and I need the forgiveness found in that gap. That said the CB PW is an amazing and versatile tool and it will probably be in my bag till the face is rusty. It's far better as a gap wedge for me than any aftermarket or set gap wedges because of the shape and head size.

I already made a move to SIM Max fairway woods and those will be in the bag next year. My B21 is going to be my driver. I am hitting it way too well to consider something else. I love my putter and my wedge.

I guess hybrids could be a spot I look at specifically the longer one. I could possibly use more forgiveness than Titleist's smaller headed hybrid so I might look at what comes out next year and replace a 19* if something suits me.

Looking forward to the Ping I210 replacements. I am sure those will have a spot in the bag.

For me new grips will go on, then I'll put my new Soeedzone Xtreme driver in play. Got it late this year, and between coaching and the weather, didnt get a chance to try it yet. Expecting a big upgrade from my old F6+.

Always something to ponder and it test out though...never know what 2021 will bring!

I have the GBB Epic in my bag which I had a quick fitting for at Golf Galaxy, and my fairway woods I wasn't fit for. I would probably go for a fitting for the top end of the bag. I feel I am pretty set after that. Maybe I can get a Club Champion fitting for Christmas 🤞

After my last lesson I was advised that a driver shaft change would be helpful, so either a new shaft or possibly a new driver if there is something that works better than my current one

The only other change is potentially the putter - I was considering the Triple Track Ten before lockdown and I just haven't had a chance to try one since things opened back up

Wedges. Come on SantaWife, I need new wedges! And if I don’t get them I may just have to buy them anyway :LOL:

Just a Putter battle, but that may be over before 2021 gets here.

Going to end the never ending putter rotation next season I think. Also...all that is new and shiny at Cobra ;)

Not too many changes expected in ‘21. Only pondering Driver, FW (4?), hybrid, and wedges. :unsure:

Driver: 220 Pro vs SIM vs 425 LST vs TSi3
Fairways: No interest in change
Utility: Srixon ZX vs Tec UT
Irons: Miura CB57 vs MIM vs Srixon ZX7
Wedges: No interest

Back