New 2011 Cleveland Niblick

I was hoping they would release a 60* it would have been stupid easy to hit and made my bag in a heart beat

Same here - I was hoping that is what would come out as I only use my current 60 for short pitches and really short chips around my muni's tiny greens.

The 49 might be interesting, as it looks like they will offer it for lefties... right now only the 42 and 56 are available

I guess the big news, (and perhaps the sad news), is that the high-spinning ZIP GROOVES are gone for 2011 along with the contrasting yellow Gelback pad which I think looks good while improving feel. Those features will likely be missed more than the 37* Loft which as previous posters noted, has been dropped for the 2011 Niblick Series.

I personally much prefer the look of the 2010 Niblick Black Pearl finish and contrasting Yellow Gelback insert. That look matches the family of Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl (conventional) Wedges also. Perhaps the orginal Niblciks were actually designed to be "mixed with the traditional CG14 Black Pearl Wedges.

I now own all (4) Niblick lofts including the 37*, and usually carry (3) in the bag: Usually, the 42* (PW), the 49* (GW) and the 56* (SW) Niblicks. Additionally, I typically carry the matcing 60*/8* CG14 Black Pearl Lob Wedge. It is a great low bounce Lob Wedge but also very useful from the sand when certain difficult lies are encountered there. (The 60* is preferable to the Niblick SW in the sand for certain downhill lies, hardpan sand lies, fried egg/buried lies). However, the 56* Niblick remains the go-to Sand Wedge for any normal or "near normal" lie in the sand. Its heavier head weight combined with 14* of bounce work great for all but the most extreme lies so it is a safer, more reliable Sand Wedge.

In addition to the 60*/8* CG14 Black Pearl Wedge, I really appreciate having other lofts of the matching Black Pearl CG-14 conventional wedges avaiilable for selection as well. These include the 50/8, 52/10, 54/9, 56/11, and 58/10. I actually acquired those particular CG14 Wedges for some extra wedge versatility before the Niblicks were introduced, and have no regrets. When combined with the (4) Niblcks, these "extra" CG14 Black Pearl Wedges provide just that much more mix-and-match verstatility. I just let the course and conditions dictate my wedge configuration on any particular day, while knowing that ALL options feature those fantastic Zip Grooves and enhanced feel of the Gelback insert.

Given how good the older Niblicks and the CG14's are, you too may want to pass on the 2011 Niblicks but pick up a few of the older model Niblciks and Black Pearl CG14's while you still can. You can get these at great prices now that the 2011 Cleveland replacement clubs are out. Rest asssured that the Zip Grooves of the older clubs offer significantly more spin than the new (conforming) grooves found on Cleveland's 2011 Niblck line and the 2011 Cleveland CG16 Wedges.

Act quickly if you want the best performing/feeling Cleveland Wedges!

:act-up:

Last edited:
Other than aesthetics, does the new Niblick boast any new performance or design features that make it perform better than the original? The new Niblick! Now with no Zip Grooves!

Sarcasm aside, I have the old Niblick 49 and it is one of my go-to clubs. Other than the cool new look, I can't see a lot of reasons to buy the new model. Thoughts?

Other than aesthetics, does the new Niblick boast any new performance or design features that make it perform better than the original? The new Niblick! Now with no Zip Grooves!

Sarcasm aside, I have the old Niblick 49 and it is one of my go-to clubs. Other than the cool new look, I can't see a lot of reasons to buy the new model. Thoughts?

You have to remember that Cleveland as a company is not allowed to manufacture the zip grooves anymore and since the company oversold (sold more than expected) of the original, they wanted to create another model. Until I try it, I wont decide if it is the same or not. Lots of clubs look the same, but subtle tweaks are the difference. We will see with this one too. Could be just the groove thing, or could be some other changes.

Lets use an example. Vokey Wedges. How much has changed in the Vokey wedge over the years? Yet they still come up with new versions and of course had to come out with another version because of the groove rule.

I've been looking for a 56*. Might wait now for the new version .

JB this seems like a perfect club for my trip to Bandon Dunes. Is this as great as it seems for those links bump and run shots?

JB this seems like a perfect club for my trip to Bandon Dunes. Is this as great as it seems for those links bump and run shots?

Man, I used my 56* there so much it looked like it was worn down after the trip.

So I'm really considering the 49*. I hit my gap wedge ok most times but I just love the versatility of this club. I'm pretty torn on what loft to get. I think I'd use it more for pitch shots.

That looks really nice. A lot better than that orange vibration reducer one. I don't mind it on my cg14, but I did not like the loooks of it on a niblick.

Cleveland really stepped up it's looks, I just don't have the place for it in my bag.

I wonder if conforming grooves on the Niblick might be a good thing for most casual golfers. I've seen articles saying ameteurs average closer to the hole with conforming grooves because the ball travels up the clubface resulting in higher flying shots with less spin, and it's easier to control distance with height rather than spin. Personally, there are times when I catch a chip with the Niblick a certain way and the ball pops out with more spin than normal, causing me to be unexpectedly short.

I wonder if conforming grooves on the Niblick might be a good thing for most casual golfers. I've seen articles saying ameteurs average closer to the hole with conforming grooves because the ball travels up the clubface resulting in higher flying shots with less spin, and it's easier to control distance with height rather than spin. Personally, there are times when I catch a chip with the Niblick a certain way and the ball pops out with more spin than normal, causing me to be unexpectedly short.

Most amatuers leave chips and pitches short. So if the new grooves let the ball release a little it may get you closer to the hole.

i love my 42 and 56. looking to add the 49*...

the new seems a littel more refined but I have no reason to swap the old ones out.

Wow, that new Niblick is an upgrade in the looks dept.

I'd bought my 42* Niblick on a whim, willing to try anything to help my spotty chipping. But what has absolutely amazed me is how dang effortless and accurate it is on full shots. While I can't say that my chipping has been perfect, it's been anything but, I can say that I've yet to hit a bad full shot with the Niblick. Not all shots are perfect, just no clunkers.

Everytime I pull it, one of the guys in my regular foursome starts playfully calling me a cheater. I know he's only half-kidding... too bad, buddy! :wink:

OK, so I'm in love with the new look. Thoughts in my head at the moment are that yes, there are no more zip grooves, but, a DG Spinner could help in that effect....

Did I mention I'm in love with the look?

The 37* Niblick was likely dropped for 2011 because without the high spin offered by the Zip Grooves, the 37* just rolls out too much when chipping of fast greens. In fact, some Niblick Posters had complained about excessive rollout of the olfer 37* Niblick loft with the high-spin Zip Grooves. Seems that loft works best on the soft/slow greens of desert courses rather than on typical courses with faster greens. While ithe 37* does have its fans, it did not sell as well as the other lofts, even though 37* is considered the traditional "Chipper"loft.

The new, (2011) grooves and lower spin rate would only have increased complaints about excessive rollout had the 37* loft had been carried over for 2011. The rollout issue combinined with the 37* being the least popular loft likely explains why Cleveland decided to drop the 37* Niblick for 2011.

Keep in mind the new grooves, (with lower spin), apply for Cleveland's entire Niblick line for 2011, so you may notice the difference on the 42*, 49*, and 56* that you CAN still buy.

If you are concerened with the reduced spin, you may want to try a softer covered (Tour-type) golf ball since a that willl have more impact than other options you might try such as reshafting with a DG Spinner Wedge shaft. (That is really just a softer-than-standard flex and while it may help on full shots where the shaft flexes more, it won't make much difference when chipping around the green). A higher spinning ball can increase the spin rate on all your shots.

:bye:

Last edited:
The 37* Niblick was likely dropped for 2011 because without the high spin offered by the Zip Grooves, the 37* just rolls out too much when chipping of fast greens. In fact, some Niblick Posters had complained about excessive rollout of the olfer 37* Niblick loft with the high-spin Zip Grooves. Seems that loft works best on the soft/slow greens of desert courses rather than on typical courses with faster greens. While ithe 37* does have its fans, it did not sell as well as the other lofts, even though 37* is considered the traditional "Chipper"loft.

The new, (2011) grooves and lower spin rate would only increase complaints about excessive rollout while usiing for the 37* loft. That, combinined with its being the least popular Niblick explains why Cleveland has discontinued the 37* Niblick for 2011.

Keep in mind that the new grooves, (and lower spin), apply to ALL the other lofts too. (The 42*, 49*, 56* lofts which ARE offered in 2011). All the Niblicks with the Tour conforming grooves have less spin than the older Niblick models.

May want to try a softer covered (Tour-type) golf ball if you are putting new lower spin grooves in the bag whether theay are 2011 Niblicks or 2011 Wedges. A higher spinning ball will have more impact on spin rate than going to the the DG Spinner Wedge, which is really just a softer than standard shaft flex.

:bye:

That makes perect sense. I use the 37 mostly on full shots or when I am on the fringe of a huge green. I love it because its so easy to swing, but it does not have the same stopping power as the 42.

new 2011 Niblicks

new 2011 Niblicks

Anyone try these out yet? Curious how people feel about them to the original model? Are they same distance on full swings?

Anyone try these out yet? Curious how people feel about them to the original model? Are they same distance on full swings?

I'll have the 49* in hand once it ships with my mashies and 4W from Blind9. Can't wait, the look is what got me on this one. I love my 2010 49* but this one just looks so much better to my eye. We shall see!

Lookie what showed up!!!

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128-1.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

I'll be taking it out very soon! I will say this though, the finish is awesome, WAY better in hand than in pics. Also, a major difference is in the topline, its not the thickness though it simply looks more like a wedge and is not as squared off as the previous generation. I can't wait to get it out and about!

Man, I just had a moment! That is a beautiful club!!!!!!! I'm really anxious to see how this performs for you. I'm a fan and depending what happens in the next few weeks may for the 49*. Does the weight feel any different at all?

Man, I just had a moment! That is a beautiful club!!!!!!! I'm really anxious to see how this performs for you. I'm a fan and depending what happens in the next few weeks may for the 49*. Does the weight feel any different at all?

Not at all. I am going to pull the head and weigh the two though because I'm really curious about it. I shall report back! muahahaha!

LOl. Thats awesome. Niblick surgery 101. I wish I would've messed around with it more at the local golf shop. It does look absolutely stunning in hand. I mean, its looks cool haha.

Not at all. I am going to pull the head and weigh the two though because I'm really curious about it. I shall report back! muahahaha!

Back