New Callaway SuperSoft and SuperSoft Max Golf Balls

I have always liked the Supersoft ball, mainly my fall/winter ball but it could be an all year ball too.

I’ve bought and played the Supersoft a couple of times and they do pretty good for me particularly at that low price point. I’ll undoubtedly try the new ones at some point.

I love the Supersoft, it's been my #1 ball for the last couple years. Interesting that they claim more short game spin and control in the new cover - I've never noticed much difference between it and any other ball, but I'll definitely give the new ones a try and see. I've had it stop on the green within a foot or less of its ball mark on plenty of approach shots when the greens are receptive. I played it back and forth against the QST for a couple months and to me they were virtually indistinguishable other than the QST feeling a little firmer. It's hard to beat the performance at that price point.

I've played the Magna quite a bit - the only difference I've really noticed is that it doesn't fit in ball washers, ball retrievers or the ball holders in the carts. Yep, that little bit of difference is enough.

I don't get what the difference between these 2 offerings are??
The SS is a great ball. Is the Max a bigger ball like the Magna?

I don't get what the difference between these 2 offerings are??
The SS is a great ball. Is the Max a bigger ball like the Magna?
Yes, the Max is the new iteration of the Magna - 3% larger than a standard golf ball.

Great breakdown, @Jman, on what and why those balls do what they and why they are great choices for the targeted audience. Callaway will do well with these offerings.

I’ve played the SS a lot in the past, but never really liked it much. It comes off the putter too hot for me, making distance control harder. I’m interested in giving the Max a try though.

I currently game a OG supersoft, along with Kirkland’s, cause I’m a cheap ass. Looking forward to trying the new ones. Any feedback on regular vs. Max?

I currently game a OG supersoft, along with Kirkland’s, cause I’m a cheap ass. Looking forward to trying the new ones. Any feedback on regular vs. Max?
See my post above (#28).

See my post above (#28).
So, no reason to try the Max? The larger size always threw me off (on paper) but I’ve never played one.

So, no reason to try the Max? The larger size always threw me off (on paper) but I’ve never played one.
Having played about 3 dozen of them (still have some in my bag that I'm gradually thinning out), I haven't seen any reason to play them over the regular Supersofts. But I wouldn't take that as 'no reason to try them' - give them a shot if you're curious, you might love them. They're a cheap enough experiment, and at the absolute worst you still have Supersofts (which IMO are a good ball) that are just a little bigger.

Thus far, no one is carrying the SS Max retail. GG has the new SuperSofts in white only. That is it. Guess, it will take a while for the next shipment to arrive.

I'll pick up a box of the matte pink for Mrs Duffer and matte green for myself. With my usually steep approach angle into the greens I might be able to stop using a urethane ball. That would also make Mrs Duffer happy since I seem to do a lot of "product placement" during my rounds. ;)

I have played two rounds with the SuperSoft matte green. I'm a fan.

I like the feel off of all the clubs and I haven't had any issues around the greens. Seems like a great ball especially at this price point.

Have a yellow Max shipping Monday.

I have the Callaway Supersoft Max. Ordered direct from Callaway and received the balls two and a half weeks later via free ground shipping by UPS. I am hopeful, the new Max will feel better than the Magna with increased distance. Have only putted and chipped so far. Chipping feels a bit better compared to the Magna with some added feel and the putting feels very soft, hollow and a little weird. It has a nice yellow color. Will report back when I get to practice with irons and woods.

Took full swings today with the Max. It really is very similar to the Magna which is disappointing. I was hoping for an upgrade. But, it still a good idea for a beginner, chronic slicer or maybe a slow swinging lady golfer. There's just not much feel to it. Perhaps, because it is so soft and light weight.

I have another practice round scheduled for Sunday. If I keep seeing the same results, I'm considering using the SuperSoft during this month's league tournament. :unsure:

Funny thing happened today in reference to the Max ball. I found a yellow one and not immediately realizing what it was, I gave it to my Cartner that collects any loose ball he can find. He went to clean the Max ball and showed it to me and said “This ball is bigger!” Apparently it didn’t fit in the ball cleaning unit on the cart. Of course I knew what it was and told him all about the Max ball. He played the rest of the round and hit it really well

Good write up! Have been gaming the Super Soft.. at 74 I will try anything to make the game a bit more enjoyable.
So just ordered 2 dozen of the the Super Max
And will give it ago

Back