Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scratchnurse

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
So when I got back into golf 4ish years ago I went about things the differently as how I would now. I went to golf galaxy and got “fit” for the irons I’m in. Which was essentially we pulled everything off the wall that I was comfortable price wise and I picked what I liked hitting the best. And at some point they measured me to see if the clubs would need to be altered. I didn’t realize that they could play with settings(something I later found during a friends driver fitting), but in the store my 7 iron carry distance was 170 and now it’s more like 155ish. I saw another thread mentioning that increasing iron shaft weight could help increase carry distance.

I currently have the true temper ZT 85g stiff which came stock with the irons. I kind of just wanted to get fitted for the new shafts because I like the feel of the current iron heads.
Or would I basically be looking at spending almost the price for new irons and should just go get It would only be p/9/8/7/6.

Also I texted the guy who I get lessons from and he didn’t say more lessons. He seemed more keen on fitting me for new irons and said I’d have to do research on shaft pricing myself. (Which wouldn’t be an issue).

Last edited:
If you’re happy with the heads, ask for a shaft fitting... that’s what I’d do if that were available to me.

This is an excellent question and one that i have often contemplated especially given my historic buying trend of internet sales off the shelf. flagged and will be following.

I generally wouldn't invest in new shafts for 4 year old heads. It will cost a fair amount of money to reshaft existing irons.

I have always shied away from iron shaft changes just based on the cost of new shafts and installation. I can't do the work myself, so paying $25-$30 a club for a reshaft gets expensive really fast. Then, throw in the cost of shafts and you are likely half way, or pretty close to the cost of a different set with the same shafts.

Or, if you are going to do a legit fitting, discuss both options with the fitter. You would be paying for their time anyhow. You may be able to get by with a reshaft should the numbers tell that story. Or, maybe you fall in love with new irons.

what are you hoping to change? just want something new, or is there a certain miss you're hoping to correct?

i would think iron head technology has advanced more in 4 years than iron shaft technology. so new heads gets my vote.

New irons is my vote, no question.

what are you hoping to change? just want something new, or is there a certain miss you're hoping to correct?

i would think iron head technology has advanced more in 4 years than iron shaft technology. so new heads gets my vote.
In another thread someone mentioned that their father(I think) got fitted for new shafts and picked up a significant amount of carry with insignificant loss in other numbers. Just been having carry number issues. So naturally any chance to buy new stuff.

Last edited:
In another thread someone mentioned that their father(I think) got fitted for new shafts and picked up a significant amount of carry with insignificant loss in other numbers. Just been having carry number issues. So naturally any chance to buy new stuff.

if that's your goal, I would look to changing the head, not the shaft

A new fitting... knowing now what you didn't know then find what you hit the best. Heads and shafts.

My vote is for all new irons, too. If that's your goal chances are there something from the last 4 years that can help make that happen. Like @radiman said, new shafts for the sake of staying in the same heads is pricey. If you were my buddy, I'd tell you 'It's okay. You'll love the new heads too. Just go do the thing.'

So I called club champion and scheduled a fitting. Going to get fitted for new irons, but if they are over what id want to spend I may just take the shafts instead.

Last edited:
So I called club champion and scheduled a fitting. Going to get fitted for new irons, but if they are over what id want to spend I may just take the shafts instead.

If you tell them a budget to stay in they will work with you on it. Keep in mind tho that the cost of re shafting an entire set of irons might cost similar to the amount of new irons, unless you plan on doing the work yourself.

It was incredibly eye opening.
I found out my current irons are actually too long, even from standard which I was told they were standard length...but not too big of a deal.

First big issue was I hit the range to warm up before. Shouldn’t have, was a little gassed at the end of the fitting.

found my best swing weight was D5.
Was fit four the KBS tour V steel shaft and the Cobra SZ irons. It decreased my club head speed by 2 mph on avg, increases my ball speed by 10 mph on avg on my actual decent swings. We were trying to increase decrease my spin and got it down into I think the 4700 range with a six iron down form the like 5500 with my current one.

only problem is total cost to me would be 1100 for 6-pw from them versus 615 if say I bought from tgw.

Am I good enough to notice the difference?

You certainly good enough to notice the $475 difference.
Oh you mean the clubs....the fitting will help, and you will know right away. Club champion is good but, if you can get the same clubs for that much less.....easy decision: get the clubs-From TGW

Back