New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

UPS shipment scheduled for today (y)

So excited to check these out first hand!

VL or OL?

I have a OL itch and I really want to scratch it haha
It is VL, but like you I also keep having a desire to try OL. The thought process behind it, one swing and one setup, for all irons is intriguing.

Hearing Jose discuss the benefits, around the time of the 2019 MC, got me thinking, and the thinking continues to this day. If I have an opportunity to try a OL set out, I would jump without hesitation and commit to a full season of OL. It would be fun!

I mean I have to right? Bullied you into 😂
Yeah, pretty much :p

I haven't posted about these in a bit, mostly because I was having some serious issues. It wasn't the clubs it was me, too many swing thoughts and watching too much YouTube. Last weekend I finally got out of my own head, and 2 pretty good days with these. Some really great shots that reminded me why I switched. I think the standout was a great 7i on an uphill par 3 that landed just short of the pin and just rolled past. Great birdie.

It is VL, but like you I also keep having a desire to try OL. The thought process behind it, one swing and one setup, for all irons is intriguing.

Hearing Jose discuss the benefits, around the time of the 2019 MC, got me thinking, and the thinking continues to this day. If I have an opportunity to try a OL set out, I would jump without hesitation and commit to a full season of OL. It would be fun!
I'm thinking going VL up to 7i and then having a OL 6i and 5i to round out the set - will have to give them a go, but it's either that or the 5h route. Must say I'm intrigued by the 5 and 6 at 7i length...

I'm thinking going VL up to 7i and then having a OL 6i and 5i to round out the set - will have to give them a go, but it's either that or the 5h route. Must say I'm intrigued by the 5 and 6 at 7i length...
I've pondered this too, just not sure how it would flow since I believe the OL set is set up to flow from club to club to gap correctly. Personally, I think I'd try OL irons first, then if it works, try adding OL Hybrids or FW's , and maybe wedges.

They have arrived, and are in great shape! Thanks again @MarMill8412 still blown away by your generous gesture! Cant wait to get these out and put some swings on them!!
20201130_140938.jpg
20201130_141208.jpg

Last edited:
And because I've been hoping for this moment since they were released, here they are, finally in my bag!

20201130_143545.jpg

Awesome bag... confused by that headcover!
Its 2 headcovers, which seemed to have blended into one in the picture haha!

I've pondered this too, just not sure how it would flow since I believe the OL set is set up to flow from club to club to gap correctly. Personally, I think I'd try OL irons first, then if it works, try adding OL Hybrids or FW's , and maybe wedges.
Arccos data analysis by Cobra has shown that equivalent OL/VL clubs have a total yardage difference of 0.4 on average. So gapping should be ok, but trajectory will certainly have a big jump. Personally I would discourage mixed sets but they do work for some.

And because I've been hoping for this moment since they were released, here they are, finally in my bag!

View attachment 8976925
That's incredible! They look like they were always meant to be there, really pleased for you my man. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them, they are an amazing set of irons, am absolutely hitting them still.

Took my new (to me) set to the shop today and hit the 4i, 7i, pw, and 58 degree as well as my old Ping G5 7i for comparison. Here are the averages (after taking out mishits):

ClubCarryBall SpeedBackspin
4i1981324600
7i1741266900
PW128978100
Ping G5 7i1521116800

All in all, I'm very happy. The flush hits felt amazing, as good a sound and feel as anything I have hit before. But that's not saying much given my experience. I hit a number of shots poorly, thin, off the toe, fat, etc, and most would have been playable and less yardage drop off than my previous clubs. There was also a huge difference in feel going from the Ping True Temper regular flex to the DG X100. Unfortunately all the courses and driving ranges are closed in a 100 mile radius from me and the closest virtual golf place is over an hour drive away, so it will be another 5 months minimum until I can really put these clubs to work.

Edit:
After downloading the Foresight CSV file and going through the numbers more, I am worried about my gapping especially for the 4i-7i. 4i-7i is only 25 yards different which is 8 yards per club, 7i-PW is 45 yards or 15 yards per club, and PW-58 is about 12 yards per club. With more practice this could change of course and I won't do anything about it for now, but in the future I might think about getting the lofts adjusted to make the gapping more even. Something like 4 strengthened by 0.5-1 degree, 5 weakened by 0.5-1, 6 weakened by 2, 7 by 2, 8 by 1, 9 by 1. Before that though, more practice!

Last edited:
These things were so money today. Best shot I hit today was on 18. Had 185 in with the wind into us. Short is absolute dead. I grab the 5i and hit a missile dead at the pin. Get up there and we are sitting about 10-11 feet. The ball literally hit and stopped. Rolled out less than a foot. Was huge!

Back