New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Wow, amazing looking!!!

That copper head and black shaft combo is ludicrously good looking.

They are indeed ludicrously good looking.

Everyone who has seen them in my bag has done a double take.

And therein lies the problem.

In a world where 99% of irons are boring chrome, playing something else makes a statement. You can get away with all black. It is cool but stealthy.

Copper and black is not stealthy. It is loud.

If you play copper and black irons, you need to have game.

When I was fitted for the FTs, I had game.

When I took them to the range the day they arrived, I had game.

When I warmed up with them before my round today, I had game.

Unfortunately, in the first proper round I played with them on Monday I had no game.

I went from six putts under 10 feet for birdie on Sunday to none on Monday.

Today was a bit better, but I still had more GIRs using hybrids from 175 plus than I did using irons from 150 minus.

I had the same issue when I tried to replace my long-term PXG Gen1 gamers with Gen3.

I don’t expect them to be ‘better’ than my PXGs.

But I do expect them to be not worse.

Sounds like you can hit them just need to get going on course. You'll figure it out.

Been struggling to hit mine well. Have em in stock shaft $ taper lite but had ordered 1 flat and 1/4 inch short.
Today was demoing from a cart at golf store against the new Srixon irons. This demo was std length and lie same shaft and was hitting it much better than srixons as well.
Could the small custom changes really have that much impact on my shots?
Ball doesnt turn over and distance doesnt seem as long as it should be.

cobras are usually 1* upright at std compared to other brands.

likely the srixons had the same lie angle as your forged tecs.

cobras are usually 1* upright at std compared to other brands.

likely the srixons had the same lie angle as your forged tecs.
What I was trying to say was that the store demo Forged tec was hitting great. But my experience with my custom order set is not anywhere close to as good. Am wondering if a 1/4 inch length and 1* lie angle difference could be the cause or was it just my swing today?

What I was trying to say was that the store demo Forged tec was hitting great. But my experience with my custom order set is not anywhere close to as good. Am wondering if a 1/4 inch length and 1* lie angle difference could be the cause or was it just my swing today?

oop, misread.

I wouldn't think as much as you are seeing. were you hitting both off same surface (grass vs mat)? Have you checked the specs on the set you ordered? They could be more off than you think.

The length was correct and I had checked the lie on a random iron and it seemed to have right swing weight and lie angle so assuming that isn't the issue.
Just figure the customization was relatively minor. Not like i went an inch off or 3 degrees.

Today was on sim. My irons were on grass. So not sure. But has me wondering.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

I don’t expect them to be ‘better’ than my PXGs.

But I do expect them to be not worse.

It is, frankly, amazing the difference a change of grips makes for me.

After the less than stellar results mentioned above, I had the FTs regripped with the mid-size Align grips I normally play.

Annoyingly, Cobra (like most other manufacturers) does not have them as an option.

Just as happened when I first switched to Aligns a couple of years ago, there was an instant transformation.

My last three rounds (playing off 8) have been 79, 75, 76.

The FTs can't take all the credit as I've chipped and putted better than usual. But I have hit some really good approaches with them and more importantly they haven't cost me any shots over and above what I would normally expect.

Whether they are any better than my very good PXGs is debatable as I have had similarly great ball-striking runs with them too. The PXGs certainly feel better (more soft and squishy) whereas I feel like the FTs may be more consistent.

But at least I am now confident that they are at minimum not worse.

And, in spite of the inevitable wear, they look dead cool.

Which was the main point.

:)

It is, frankly, amazing the difference a change of grips makes for me.

After the less than stellar results mentioned above, I had the FTs regripped with the mid-size Align grips I normally play.

Just as happened when I first switched to Aligns a couple of years ago, there was an instant transformation.

This might be a bit of thread jacking, but what about them helps with your game?

Anyone with additional long term thoughts? Help build the anticipation for those of us patiently waiting for sticks :cool:

Anyone with additional long term thoughts? Help build the anticipation for those of us patiently waiting for sticks :cool:
I'm still a big fan of mine. Nothing feels as good as a forged iron in my opinion but these are pretty fantastic for what they are. I love the forgiveness thats built into these and they have the looks to go with it. After a year in the bag they still look great and have worn very well.

I've been pondering moving on from my King CB/MBs, so I gave the Forged Tec with Dynamic Gold AMTs a try at the local Edwin Watts. I was very impressed, not just with the looks, but they feel great, and add a little distance and a lot of forgiveness compared to my current set. I don't know that I'm in instant must-buy mode, but major ponder mode for the upcoming year.

These are without a doubt my favorite irons I’ve ever owned. So much launch, so much spin, feel and sound great. In love

This might be a bit of thread jacking, but what about them helps with your game?

I have a naturally strong grip. The Aligns help me make it more neutral without having to constantly think about it.

As a result I still hit the ball straight or with a slight draw (when striking it well) but I have less of the big sweeping draw/hook.

Thanks for the response. I can't wait to get the irons in hand and take them through their paces.

Back