New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

The reality is that I can give you a fairly accurate comparison, based on my anecdotal experience with both. To me, the ball speed of the two is going to be very similar. The F9s will be slightly more forgiving, but the Forged Tecs are quite forgiving as well. Launch is similar. I think the spin with the Forged Tecs will be slightly higher. The Forged Tecs are much more fun to play and look better. I don’t know that the Forged Tecs feel better. As we all know, the F9s feel incredible for a game improvement profile. I feel like the Forged Tecs are more versatile from different lies and out of the rough.

Overall, I don’t know that my handicap changes at all with either set in my bag, but if I were taking my approach shot on hole 18 in my singles match in the Morgan Cup, I would much prefer the Forged Tec with my beloved SteelFiber shaft. For some reason, I just feel more confident with the Forged Tec profile behind the ball, especially on a tight lie.

TP, can you compare the new FT to the FTB? I thought maybe you bought a set of those when you were raiding Cobra's stockroom with your Morgan Cup coupon. :D

TP, can you compare the new FT to the FTB? I thought maybe you bought a set of those when you were raiding Cobra's stockroom with your Morgan Cup coupon. :D

Other than the color (I love the black, not going to lie), I think the Forged Tecs are an improvement over the FTBs. There is no question in my mind that the Forged Tecs generate better ball speed. I believe that they are more forgiving as well. To my eye, the Forged Tecs seem to have slightly less offset and set up to the ball better. Turf interaction would be fairly comparable. Sound/feel... I am not sure which is better. It has been too long since I have hit the FTBs. The FTBs have exceptional feel, imo. The biggest difference between the two for me, however, is the distance/gapping of the 9i through gw. For some reason, I could never get the distance from those three clubs in the FTBs that I wanted to see. There was a significant gap between the 9 iron and the 8 iron. I don’t see that issue with the Forged Tecs.

That’s my down and dirty comparison.

Other than the color (I love the black, not going to lie), I think the Forged Tecs are an improvement over the FTBs. There is no question in my mind that the Forged Tecs generate better ball speed. I believe that they are more forgiving as well. To my eye, the Forged Tecs seem to have slightly less offset and set up to the ball better. Turf interaction would be fairly comparable. Sound/feel... I am not sure which is better. It has been too long since I have hit the FTBs. The FTBs have exceptional feel, imo. The biggest difference between the two for me, however, is the distance/gapping of the 9i through gw. For some reason, I could never get the distance from those three clubs in the FTBs that I wanted to see. There was a significant gap between the 9 iron and the 8 iron. I don’t see that issue with the Forged Tecs.

That’s my down and dirty comparison.
Interesting. I have been having some gaping issues with my 9-P-G over the last few months. Thought maybe my swing was just to blame. But maybe now I can blame my clubs! :ROFLMAO:

You are right that the FTBs have exceptional feel. That (and maybe losing the black color) is my one big deterrent to looking at the FTs.

Interesting. I have been having some gaping issues with my 9-P-G over the last few months. Thought maybe my swing was just to blame. But maybe now I can blame my clubs! :ROFLMAO:

You are right that the FTBs have exceptional feel. That (and maybe losing the black color) is my one big deterrent to looking at the FTs.

You and I are not the only ones who have experienced this issue.

Sounds like you need to upgrade to the new Forged Tecs ?

My 8 iron with a recoil 95 shaft should be arriving today/tonight. Looking forward to getting to know it very well over the winter.

More thoughts, for those interested in what an ole hack like me thinks :cool:

1) The distance here is pretty killer. But, not only that, the gaps are consistent as my guy @Tenputt mentioned in one of his posts. I've paid special attention to that 7/8 transition because in my experiences with sets like these if it is going to go a bit wonky, that is where is usually does. So far here though, with two different shaft setups, the consistency is pretty exciting to see.

2) Mother of pearl I can hit a higher ball with these. Again, back to the thought of I rreeeeeeeeallly need to see the spin numbers tomorrow on these, but if theyre where I think they are, combined with the launch I'm getting, the distance and ability to hold greens is going to coincide really well. I'm seeing peaks that HAVE to be approaching 35 yards.

3) They pack a lot of leeway in them. Not as forgiving as the F9's and I know that question was posed in here, but IMO they're not designed to be. They're designed to blur that Players/GI line and they do it well. I had a couple out on the toe yesterday, and I mean way out there, that turned over as expected but maintained a ton of distance. Low on the face may not feel good, but it performs well still.

4) I loathe the whole "jumper" or "hot spot" conversation, anyone who has read my stuff over the last decade knows that, I've hit a TON of iron sets and seen it happen twice, most people call their rare sweet spot strike a 'jumper' but that is for another thread;). Here I know that is a concern of some out on the ole interwebs, but I've seen no examples of it. Rather, I have just seen a lot of overall distance.

5) The feel is not going to be that of a players iron type feedback. I know there are some who have been all about the feel conversation in these and I'm probably going to draw ire, but to me these are good, not great, there. Now, this 'good', in a hollow body design IS about 3 times better than pretty much all the rest of the similar designs out there, save the HMB when hit dead on the nuts. The feedback though is also not blurred without becoming overly harsh in its differentiation, you miss, you know where, but you don't think you just broke something (hand or club) as is the case with, say, the 790's.

All in all, they're fun, and with the MMT's I'm reviewing, I think they are more fun.

More soon.

More thoughts, for those interested in what an ole hack like me thinks :cool:

1) The distance here is pretty killer. But, not only that, the gaps are consistent as my guy @Tenputt mentioned in one of his posts. I've paid special attention to that 7/8 transition because in my experiences with sets like these if it is going to go a bit wonky, that is where is usually does. So far here though, with two different shaft setups, the consistency is pretty exciting to see.

2) Mother of pearl I can hit a higher ball with these. Again, back to the thought of I rreeeeeeeeallly need to see the spin numbers tomorrow on these, but if theyre where I think they are, combined with the launch I'm getting, the distance and ability to hold greens is going to coincide really well. I'm seeing peaks that HAVE to be approaching 35 yards.

3) They pack a lot of leeway in them. Not as forgiving as the F9's and I know that question was posed in here, but IMO they're not designed to be. They're designed to blur that Players/GI line and they do it well. I had a couple out on the toe yesterday, and I mean way out there, that turned over as expected but maintained a ton of distance. Low on the face may not feel good, but it performs well still.

4) I loathe the whole "jumper" or "hot spot" conversation, anyone who has read my stuff over the last decade knows that, I've hit a TON of iron sets and seen it happen twice, most people call their rare sweet spot strike a 'jumper' but that is for another thread;). Here I know that is a concern of some out on the ole interwebs, but I've seen no examples of it. Rather, I have just seen a lot of overall distance.

5) The feel is not going to be that of a players iron type feedback. I know there are some who have been all about the feel conversation in these and I'm probably going to draw ire, but to me these are good, not great, there. Now, this 'good', in a hollow body design IS about 3 times better than pretty much all the rest of the similar designs out there, save the HMB when hit dead on the nuts. The feedback though is also not blurred without becoming overly harsh in its differentiation, you miss, you know where, but you don't think you just broke something (hand or club) as is the case with, say, the 790's.

All in all, they're fun, and with the MMT's I'm reviewing, I think they are more fun.

More soon.

Top notch analysis, as you always provide, @Jman.

Love the thoughts. In your first post you mentioned hitting mostly draws. That is my miss so it has me slightly concerned it would exaggerate the miss, but I'm still very interested in giving these a go. They look amazing (y)

Top notch analysis, as you always provide, @Jman.
I appreciate that!
Love the thoughts. In your first post you mentioned hitting mostly draws. That is my miss so it has me slightly concerned it would exaggerate the miss, but I'm still very interested in giving these a go. They look amazing (y)
I wouldn't overthink it, I'm also fresh off a 20+ day hiatus for healing my triceps so the swing could be a little different at the mo.

If it helps, I would add that I have felt that this iron is fairly easy to turn over. My normal ball flight when swinging well is a draw. I did not feel that this iron would turn my natural draw into a hook, maybe more like it would help me cement the ball flight that I want to see.

Like @Jman stated, don’t read into that that they wouldn’t work for your swing. It just might be something to pay attention to when you do have the chance to try them.

Appreciate the thoughts guys. I am super interested in these and will definitely be taking some swings as soon as possible.

These irons have my full attention. I have a Club Champion fitting scheduled for just after the new year and I will absolutely be spending at least a little bit of the time making sure I hit these and get the correct One Length specs in case these end up being my 2020 irons.

When testing these out indoors, which usually makes the sound way worse, it wasn't actually bad at all. Definitely didn't sound solid as a fully forged club would, but I wouldn't expect it to. And the sound wasn't off putting at all. I would love to get them on course, but from short testing, I enjoyed the sound enough.

So, I was able to get some numbers today with GC Quad (sorry, @OITW). I didn’t know I would get by the store and have time to hit on a launch monitor, so I didn’t have the F9 iron with me. This is a 7 iron.5825A268-FC3A-428E-BEFD-283F5B27E804.png

GC2 avg’s, 6i was 192 carry.

It’s 52 out. That’s pretty salty.

How are you finding the feel ( I know it’s subjective) and forgiveness? Turf interaction feel good?
Better the harder you hit them :oops::p:cool:

Forgiveness has been pretty stellar for me, and the shining star, combined with the distance and my ability to hit a draw, I’m pretty pleased. Feel isn’t my favorite, but, it’s also not bad.

8i avg after the session was 173:oops:

10 shot averages today.

6i: 192
8i: 173
PW: 148

:oops:

Reactions: MH
Back