New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Guess I have some reading to do.

There’s a review on that ;)

Actually wrote that one using these heads too. Quite fun.

Have two ferrules slipping though so I figure why not reshaft the entire set :oops:

OK. So I got the chance to hit these a bit on my farm this afternoon. In order to not just sound like a Cobra salesman, I’ve noticed a few things on the negative end of the spectrum.

Firstly, as Shiels pointed out they do have a tendency to get dirty on the sole and the face rather quickly. It’s been a rainy season down here in Tennessee, so it’s particularly soggy, but nonetheless, it’s a small factor of note. I don’t really have a problem with it but the sole especially seems to want to hold some of the muddy streaks even after a good wipe with a dry towel.

Secondly, as for the feel, I have yet to have any of the “wow” strikes that I experienced during my fitting. It could certainly be on the user end, but I’ve experienced a lot of “very good feel” on solid strikes but very little “wow feel”. Take that for what you will. Overall there’s a certain smooth, heavy thump I’ve experienced at impact. But not as much of the “man and ball are one” that I had felt on my purest shots while getting fitted. It may be simply a matter of dialing in my swing. I’ll update that later.

Thirdly, when I was hitting from my home “range” out onto the field, I could hear a little clickyness on strikes. My setup is under a pavilion style roof, and it’s a sound I had heard about regarding hollow bodied irons, so I had been looking out for it. I hadn’t noticed the click in the simulator or out on the course but the acoustics of the roof seemed to bring it out a bit. Again, not a real issue for me but I thought I’d mention it.

I want to make sure I don’t sound like I think these clubs are perfect, they are just the best thing I have played and second place is in the distant rearview. Overall, the feel and looks of these clubs have blown me away, but as I said earlier these simply being my first fitted set probably has a ton to do with it.

My biggest takeaway so far is simply the importance of getting fit for irons and going with whatever clubs you wind up in. I did and am extremely pleased with the results so far.

I’ll check back in as this develops.

Last edited:
Here is an 8 iron on TrackMan from this past weekend. I keep saying this, but don’t worry so much about carry distance. TrackMan is set for 4,000 feet elevation. Look at ball speed relative to club speed, smash factor and dispersion. It is damn impressive. Oh, by the way, even dialed back for sea level, these irons are LONG.

1315881B-1B41-4D7D-9FCA-D46264CBD215.png4229835B-89CF-4A61-983A-34A994E1CC3A.png

Here is an 8 iron on TrackMan from this past weekend. I keep saying this, but don’t worry so much about carry distance. TrackMan is set for 4,000 feet elevation. Look at ball speed relative to club speed, smash factor and dispersion. It is damn impressive. Oh, by the way, even dialed back for sea level, these irons are LONG.

View attachment 8923959View attachment 8923960

Clearly you’ve been eating your spinach popeye

That dispersion is unreal;) Great shots there!

That dispersion is unreal;) Great shots there!

Thanks, but my point is not intended to pat myself on the back. I have had other iron sets in on TrackMan this winter and I am simply not seeing this combination of ball speed, launch, spin, descent and dispersion. I am so freaking excited to see these irons in the warmer weather, now that I am getting accustomed to them.

Part of it is the shaft. The i95 SteelFiber shaft simply works for me. I have always gotten extremely good ball speed with any offering shafted with that shaft. However, this head is truly exceptional, at least for me and my swing.

You Morgan Cuppers should be so excited to get a bag full of Cobra equipment. The irons this year are as good as anything I have ever hit. The driver is also as good as anything out there. I watched the TXG review, where the guy with 174 ball speed hits his own, custom built driver that he has been playing and then pulls out the SpeedZone and to say he was impressed is an understatement.

I have not had a chance to hit the SpeedZone irons, but I can see why the Cobra folks are so excited about the Forged Tec irons.

Thanks, but my point is not intended to pat myself on the back. I have had other iron sets in on TrackMan this winter and I am simply not seeing this combination of ball speed, launch, spin, descent and dispersion. I am so freaking excited to see these irons in the warmer weather, now that I am getting accustomed to them.

I know ya wouldn't :) But I have no problem doing it for you! But in regards to the second bolded, I feel the exact same way. Been hitting inside for about a month now twice a week and these things are just different for me. Numbers, dispersion, spin are all just leagues better than my old GI irons.

Tonight. The heads are coming off and I begin prep to install Elevate Tour X100's, with some fun and flashy BB&F ferrules to be sure.

Played my second round with the Cobras but this time brought a driver and a SW as well. Second best score all time. Loving the feedback on these things. My confidence is at an all time high and I’m having even more fun than ever on a golf course which is crazy because I loved it too much already.

Fitted Cobras are fun and sexy. That is all.

View attachment 8923959View attachment 8923960

I think you can get those shots a little tighter :D

Tonight. The heads are coming off and I begin prep to install Elevate Tour X100's, with some fun and flashy BB&F ferrules to be sure.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Tenputt , those are some mighty impressive 8 iron numbers. Seems like you have that thing dialed in for 175 yards and those numbers are tight!

These were definitely on my radar before my lucky number was pulled. I am going to try all of the cobra clubs to see what fits, but these look so good to me.
I am 45 minutes from hitting these....

Ferrule choices are HARD!

These will be rebuilt this weekend. Just waiting on some tip weights for the Elevate X100’s

Looks like I have some homework to do on Cobra clubs.... Forged Tec look nice but from my experiences of gaming p790's for half a season im kind of turned off from hollow body irons. I'll need to pick something for the Morgan Cup

Right now im leaning towards the CB/MB combo

Looks like I have some homework to do on Cobra clubs.... Forged Tec look nice but from my experiences of gaming p790's for half a season im kind of turned off from hollow body irons. I'll need to pick something for the Morgan Cup

Right now im leaning towards the CB/MB combo
What turned you off?

What turned you off?

Overall a bad combo for me. I already launch high and have a steep land angle with lower spin. The p790's just exaggerated that. Also id get that freak hot spot flyer that would sail the green by 15 yards. On simulators there's times with a 6 iron id hit a high draw with sub 3500 spin and carry 210+.

Carry distances were not consistent with the 790's for me..... The Forged Tec reviews do seem very promising and have better spin tho. Ill definitely give them a chance! But if I were buying today they would not be my first choice

Overall a bad combo for me. I already launch high and have a steep land angle with lower spin. The p790's just exaggerated that. Also id get that freak hot spot flyer that would sail the green by 15 yards. On simulators there's times with a 6 iron id hit a high draw with sub 3500 spin and carry 210+.

Carry distances were not consistent with the 790's for me..... The Forged Tec reviews do seem very promising and have better spin tho. Ill definitely give them a chance! But if I were buying today they would not be my first choice
Having bought both sets, comparing these to the 790’s is a disservice to these imo :p

Seriously though, having played a round with the 790 designer, even he plays them bent weak to try and increase spin. These, that’s not been an issue, they’re lower than players irons of course but the forgiveness gained makes that a non issue for most who’ve hit them, they’re very much good overall spinners.

Having bought both sets, comparing these to the 790’s is a disservice to these imo :p

Seriously though, having played a round with the 790 designer, even he plays them bent weak to try and increase spin. These, that’s not been an issue, they’re lower than players irons of course but the forgiveness gained makes that a non issue for most who’ve hit them, they’re very much good overall spinners.

I always forget about weakening the lofts!! thats a good idea

I always forget about weakening the lofts!! thats a good idea
It’s oft not a super easy fix, fwiw. His were 4 weak and that design (790) is so low spin it didn’t change it a ton.

These are nooooooooooooooot like the 790. They’re way way way way better. Imo, these and the HMB are the top of the hollow body class, by a lot.

It’s oft not a super easy fix, fwiw. His were 4 weak and that design (790) is so low spin it didn’t change it a ton.

These are nooooooooooooooot like the 790. They’re way way way way better. Imo, these and the HMB are the top of the hollow body class, by a lot.

I dont know enough about club making but thats what im concerned about. I dunno whats the max I could bend them. My current Mizuno MMC's are bent to the MB lofts

But this definitely gives me something to work with. Everyone's very consistent saying the 790's are way different than these.

Plus if I ever actually get honest with myself I shouldn't be hitting MB's lol. I just love the look of blades and cavity backs. I could definitely use forgiveness!

I dont know enough about club making but thats what im concerned about. I dunno whats the max I could bend them. My current Mizuno MMC's are bent to the MB lofts

But this definitely gives me something to work with. Everyone's very consistent saying the 790's are way different than these.

Plus if I ever actually get honest with myself I shouldn't be hitting MB's lol. I just love the look of blades and cavity backs. I could definitely use forgiveness!
My only advice having been there (MC), in the end, play what makes you the happiest, but it is a competition too! :p;)

Back