New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I sent an email into Cobra to ask the same question I posed in this thread. My email and the response from customer service is attached. It goes to show how much knowledge is here on the forum. Thanks, @Jman. The point, though, as mentioned by @oumagic, is that you could not buy a set of OL heads on eBay and build yourself a set of standard length irons or have a set with “blue screws,” as @Canadan pines for. Ha ha :LOL:

View attachment 8927486
Good stuff Craig! So since the head weights are the same on OL heads what is different exactly on each head? Meaning does Cobra move the CG on each individual head then to achieve the desired ball flight? Or is it because they are using different weighted shafts?

Good stuff Craig! So since the head weights are the same on OL heads what is different exactly on each head? Meaning does Cobra move the CG on each individual head then to achieve the desired ball flight? Or is it because they are using different weighted shafts?
I believe they play with the CG and the shaft kick point. I think that is also why they prefer to use lighter shafts in the long irons. With the lighter shafts in the long irons the tendency is to launch higher with the same weight club head.

I sent an email into Cobra to ask the same question I posed in this thread. My email and the response from customer service is attached. It goes to show how much knowledge is here on the forum. Thanks, @Jman. The point, though, as mentioned by @oumagic, is that you could not buy a set of OL heads on eBay and build yourself a set of standard length irons or have a set with “blue screws,” as @Canadan pines for. Ha ha :LOL:

View attachment 8927486
I'm a little hurt you didn't trust me. :p

It can’t be the shaft, though, can it? If that were the case, why would the Cobra rep say that you fit the shaft to 7 iron and then use that for the entire OL set. There is nothing special about their stock graphite option for FT OL.

I'm disappointed nobody in here @ed me on this lol

The weight distribution is different in OL heads compared to VL heads. There's an old video from THP discussing how they created the F7 OL heads where they discuss it. The CG on the heads would (should) be different. Also the lie angles are VERY different from VL, and progress the opposite way as you go through the set. A common question is why don't they all have the same lie? Because golfers will naturally swing the longer irons harder, and with the way the clubs flex during swing, it works out best. They've been tweaking lie angles for 4 consecutive years now, so I trust they are doing everything they can to get that correct.

One thing to note is that the lofts are the same between VL and OL. This has been the case on every set of OL clubs they've released, except for the SZ (so there must be some optimization there). But on the Forged TECs, they are the same.

As for the shafts, the only shafts that use progressive weighting are the stock KBS steel shafts on the F9, SZ, and Forged TEC. All other shafts stay the same throughout the set. I don't know the scientific details on the progressive shaft weights. Previous to the F9, the F8s had "flighted" shafts, which were the same weight, but had the weight distributed differently throughout the shaft.

All the tweaks made are to get the launch characteristics right. Sometimes, the tweaks make obvious sense, sometimes they don't, but with how long Cobra has been doing this, and how critical it is to their business, I trust them to get it right. And having played both F8s and F9s, it seems like they have been.

I'm a little hurt you didn't trust me. :p
:LOL: You know how much I respect you, my friend. I actually was running around in and out of meetings and kind of crossed paths with my email and your information.

I don't know the head weight but the overall weight of the One Length clubs I ordered was that each one was between 431-435 grams.
I just pulled my grips last night and put about 8 grams of lead tape under the grip, and used grips about 8 grams heavier and got the swing weight down around D3.5. Hit them this morning and they didn't feel as heavy as the D5-5.5. They did feel good, I don't have any idea on carry length
Well to their credit the clubs were on my door step step when I got home today so I will have them for my trip. We shall see what they did on the swing weight. I spoke to Sean who is the supervisor over at Cobra and he told me they wouldn’t be able to get them to D2 (and they refused to either replace the heads that half of them were not hit), or refund after three issues and weeks of not having them and having to send them back twice. But he would have them try to get them close, they still feel heavy (I would guess D4 as they feel like swinging a lob wedge, but not as heavy as they were D5). I Won’t be able to swing weight them till tomorrow. I don’t care about a refund but if they can’t get it right and they messed up why stick me with their screw up. I know callaway and Taylormade would have no problem getting it right and building the set properly. Cobra is just not a very good company in my opinion because of this. Regardless of how this one length experiment goes I will likely not purchase from them again.
Last night I pulled the grips and counter weighted the shafts with some lead, and put on heavier grips. All in all I was able to add about 14 grams to the butt end (counter weight) and got the swing weight down. Hit a few of this morning and they felt good. Distances looked good, but obviously will need a few rounds to figure those out. I also have a new set of MIM wedges and I must say they feel buttery soft.

I just pulled my grips last night and put about 8 grams of lead tape under the grip, and used grips about 8 grams heavier and got the swing weight down around D3.5. Hit them this morning and they didn't feel as heavy as the D5-5.5. They did feel good, I don't have any idea on carry length

Last night I pulled the grips and counter weighted the shafts with some lead, and put on heavier grips. All in all I was able to add about 14 grams to the butt end (counter weight) and got the swing weight down. Hit a few of this morning and they felt good. Distances looked good, but obviously will need a few rounds to figure those out. I also have a new set of MIM wedges and I must say they feel buttery soft.

While your experience has been unfortunate, I really think you will love the irons, if you can get the weighting to work for you.

Just ordered my set on Monday, itching for them to come in!

Glad you found a solution that might work for you but a shame that you had to go through all of that. Let us know how they do on course. And I too am a huge fan of those MIM wedges!!!

Any comparisons to the i500's? Also any opinions on the modus 3 120 shafts?

I can’t speak to the shafts. I have played the i500s, but it was a year and a half ago, so I am going from memory. With that caveat, I believe that the sound/feel (which are one and the same) is better with the Forged Tec. I believe that the spin is a bit higher with the Forged Tec. For me, the ball speed is higher, but it may be the shafts, as my Forged Tecs have a shaft that work extremely well for me in terms of efficiency/smash factor that they produce.

While your experience has been unfortunate, I really think you will love the irons, if you can get the weighting to work for you.
I got plenty of time with these and the MIM wedges today, I like them and they will be making the trip south. Not as soft as my Srixons, but I am impressed with how easy they are to swing and how they feel through the turf. it has been a while since I had fun on the range hitting balls, and it was 40* to boot. Can’t wait to tee it up in South Carolina Friday, Sea Island Saturday, and Florida the rest of next Week.

Anyone have any experience to share comparing the prior years model - forged tec blacks to the new forged tecs? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any experience to share comparing the prior years model - forged tec blacks to the new forged tecs? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Other than aesthetics and possibly feel, the new Forged Tecs are an improvement over the Forged Tec Blacks, in my opinion, and I have played both. The new Forged Tecs are more forgiving and generate better ball speed.

Some like the black color on the prior version and, I think most would admit, the prior version feels really sweet. A hollow iron is always going to have a feel/sound somewhat unique to that profile. As that type of iron goes, the Forged Tecs feel great, but, it may not be quite the same as the old version.

Other than aesthetics and possibly feel, the new Forged Tecs are an improvement over the Forged Tec Blacks, in my opinion, and I have played both. The new Forged Tecs are more forgiving and generate better ball speed.

Some like the black color on the prior version and, I think most would admit, the prior version feels really sweet. A hollow iron is always going to have a feel/sound somewhat unique to that profile. As that type of iron goes, the Forged Tecs feel great, but, it may not be quite the same as the old version.
Which do you prefer? I know I really enjoyed the black Forged Tec's. I have gone back to those instead of the blades for my practice this winter.

Which do you prefer? I know I really enjoyed the black Forged Tec's. I have gone back to those instead of the blades for my practice this winter.

It is not even close. The Forged Tecs, every day of the week. The performance of the Forged Tecs for me is significantly better than the Forged Tec Blacks through every club.

Long term reports from anyone who feels that they definitely improved your game and why:drinks:

It is not even close. The Forged Tecs, every day of the week. The performance of the Forged Tecs for me is significantly better than the Forged Tec Blacks through every club.
Stop trying to get me to buy new irons. I don't need new irons. I don't. I don't think I do. Do I?

Someone is going to have to talk me out of buying a set of these before the end of the year.

Nope. If you do it, I’ll do it.
I really want to make it happen, and I have been looking. But if I do it, I want to put Recoil 95 Protos in them. I am trying to figure out the best path to get there.

I really want to make it happen, and I have been looking. But if I do it, I want to put Recoil 95 Protos in them. I am trying to figure out the best path to get there.
Well, I have recoil 95 protos sitting in old F5s you can acquire and install on those heads. Or maybe you already have some custom sweet sauce I don’t know about.

Well, I have recoil 95 protos sitting in old F5s you can acquire and install on those heads. Or maybe you already have some custom sweet sauce I don’t know about.
No, I only have the 110’s in my Hogan’s now. We may need to talk....

This is super subjective, but sound is everything to me, and King Forged Tec is just about as good of a sound feedback out of a hollow body available.

I've not hit them side by side with numbers, but I hit them briefly during a THP event last year and it wasn't close for me.

This is super subjective, but sound is everything to me, and King Forged Tec is just about as good of a sound feedback out of a hollow body available.

I've not hit them side by side with numbers, but I hit them briefly during a THP event last year and it wasn't close for me.
I’ll take it a step further, this is THE best sounding hollow body probably ever to this point. The closest to it is probably the UHX or PXG, but even then I wouldn’t call it close exactly.

The best part is we got the same feedback from everyone who stopped to chat with us at Club Champion. It’s not just a THP thing with these irons, it’s something much much much bigger.

I’ll take it a step further, this is THE best sounding hollow body probably ever to this point. The closest to it is probably the UHX or PXG, but even then I wouldn’t call it close exactly.

The best part is we got the same feedback from everyone who stopped to chat with us at Club Champion. It’s not just a THP thing with these irons, it’s something much much much bigger.
The feel and sound on these clubs is intoxicating. Since hitting them at demo days a week ago, I just have been wanting more time with them. Still don’t know if they will work for me on the course, but I think they will. Even if I get the SZ irons to game with, I probably need to have a set of these just to take to the range as an anti-depressant.

Long term reports from anyone who feels that they definitely improved your game and why:drinks:

I can’t really add more than I already have. I maintain that irons are probably the least important part of my bag in terms of what helps me shoot my best scores. The top and bottom ends of my bag will be determined by what irons I have to ensure proper gapping at the ends, but I could shoot my best scores with many different sets of irons. If I am totally honest, the F9s from last year’s Morgan Cup would permit me to play just as well as the Forged Tecs.

That having been said, I don’t think I have found a better set of irons for me than the Forged Tecs. Maybe ever. They truly give me what I need for my game. Enough forgiveness, loads of distance, precision, good descent and enough spin to stop the ball quickly and good looks. They are a fun, sexy set of irons. They have Arccos imbedded in the grips, which I really enjoy. Probably the most important thing for me is that every single club in the set works for me. Often times I have found with the players distance irons that the 9i through gw do not provide the same relative distance as the other irons in the set and I have an unwanted gap between either 9i and 8i or gw and pw. That is not the case with the Forged Tecs and probably the biggest reason I really am enthralled with them.

Back