New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Another good day with these irons. I used them 10 times for my approach shot and had 6 GIR (and 12 GIR, total). They stop extremely well. The only club in the set that I am struggling with a bit is the gw. I am not seeing the distance I would like. Maybe I am not meant to play a set gw.

Another good day with these irons. I used them 10 times for my approach shot and had 6 GIR (and 12 GIR, total). They stop extremely well. The only club in the set that I am struggling with a bit is the gw. I am not seeing the distance I would like. Maybe I am not meant to play a set gw.
Interesting you say that. I played a limited bag today and had to play the GW a lot. I hadn't needed it much thus far otherwise, and I was really struggling to get my expected distances with it. I could, but I really had to work for it. I told myself the strikes weren't as good as I though, that it was cold, or that I was just a little tired today, but it was the only club I had that issue with. I'm also playing a really heavy setup in that range, so I thought of that also, but I made a note to do some testing with it because I can't swing that hard regularly. And without doing so my gapping appears to be a tad off with it.

These irons are burning the proverbial hole in my pocket. With the current situation I have hit a small delay in getting the new Recoils installed in my set. But it will happen, and when it does, I will finally be able to scratch that itch.

This utility is fun.

Really fun.

This utility is fun.

Really fun.

I thought about your utility yesterday, as I was in the middle of my round and contemplating what would best fit between my 6 iron, which I hit great and my 18* Mavrik Pro hybrid, which also has become a favored club in my bag.

How are these distance/dispersion wise on mishits? How much distance loss do y’all notice on off center strikes?

How are these distance/dispersion wise on mishits? How much distance loss do y’all notice on off center strikes?
Excellent. I’ve still never seen a jumper that wasn’t out of a flier lie on the course.

Also excellent. Not the most forgiving set out there, but more forgiving than most given the profile.

Excellent. I’ve still never seen a jumper that wasn’t out of a flier lie on the course.

Also excellent. Not the most forgiving set out there, but more forgiving than most given the profile.

I’ll second it. I also would add that a little bit towards the toe or heel is not punished much at all. There are profiles a bit more forgiving on thin misses, in my opinion.

Last edited:
More or less forgiving the forge tec blacks.

That’s good info. I have heard some of the player distance irons you can be in the fairway and have one hot off the face that goes like 10 yards longer than expected.

That’s good info. I have heard some of the player distance irons you can be in the fairway and have one hot off the face that goes like 10 yards longer than expected.
Being real, and a lot of golfers hate it when I say this bit of truth, most of those who claim those things happened to have actually found the sweet spot on the club and just ended up calling it a jumper.

Being real, and a lot of golfers hate it when I say this bit of truth, most of those who claim those things happened to have actually found the sweet spot on the club and just ended up calling it a jumper.
That may be true. I haven’t got to play with the Forged Tecs yet so I am excited about them. Still impressed with your drunken eBay purchase. I look now just in case!

That may be true. I haven’t got to play with the Forged Tecs yet so I am excited about them. Still impressed with your drunken eBay purchase. I look now just in case!
Hahaha, I’ve still got NO clue how that one happened. :oops:

I was playing with a THPer this weekend at his country club, a course I have never played, but always wanted to. Thanks, @TYork. On a brand new course, with a slope rating of 133, I had 12 GIR. Unfortunately, I threw up all over myself with the flatstick and must have had 7 or 8 3 putts for a very poor score, but the Forged Tecs continue to shine. I am close to saying that they are the best irons I have ever gamed.

Hahaha, I’ve still got NO clue how that one happened. :oops:
O man, there are a couple used ones up right now! 3 and 4. Very tempting.

My man @HarlettoScara ON FREAKING FIRE with his thoughts in here!!!

I think my clubs were delivered to my work last week, will be aiming to pick them up tomorrow night and get on course Tuesday am or PM - weather dependent

Oh, I have a really stupid picture for this. When I first got mine we went out testing on my home course because the fairways were thawing so everything just sat/stuck. Easy to verify results. This was five 6-irons into a pin we lasered at 186.

20200303_152713.jpg

I definitely think some clubs/setups are more consistent than others, and I look for that, but I'll go ahead and take the blame for the one that totally got away from the others here. 'Cause I'm humble like that. :LOL:

All sessions and rounds since have caused no concerns in this area.

I've found them to be excellent. Few that I've hit a little thin, and they have still got out there. Slight drop off as you would expect, but nothing anywhere as penal as they could have been. Surprising amount of forgiveness in them.

First full 18 with these today, and far more forgiving and successful than I had been at the range. Just a case of getting used to the much heavier shafts and learning to swing smoothly, and these these things are the business. Very soft and clean off the face, and definitely a lot easier to hit than you would think just by looking at them. Caught a couple a little fat and thin, and was never punished unduly so the forgiveness is real. Still launching fantastically well, can't wait to really get some practice and play in with these, going to be a complete revelation to my iron play I think.

Say hello to my new best friends! FT One Length with Catalyst 80 6.0
7EBA315E-0D33-4BC7-9574-3B44BDCA72B3.jpeg

Back