New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

These things really proved their worth for me today in my current setup. I wouldn't put them above my apex combo or pros in an overall sense, but there were a few shots today that I don't think I could have made the same with the apex. The shape of them still throws me just a bit, but it also lets you do a few things with them that I tend to struggle to do with other irons. I'm becoming more impressed with this head/shaft combo for my game. I've enjoyed them from the start, but I'm not easily impressed, and a few times today I really was.

These are just sitting in my bag looking lonely and desperately wanting to get out on the course to show what they can do. Brutal buying new irons and having to wait months to get them on a course for the first time...
They are worth the wait. I’m lucky enough to be able to hit mine in the simulator. Irons are great and currently simulator is priceless

The wind gives me a bit of fear, but the lower spin profile of the head could make it viable.

I'm already a high launch guy, so no matter what I use, it's getting up there. Very excited to see what they can do with some wind (but not looking for wind any time soon lmao!)
Come to Oklahoma and play with me and @Jman. Always plenty of wind. I just want the courses around me to open so I can hit these with real golf balls instead of the yellow foam balls.

Come to Oklahoma and play with me and @Jman. Always plenty of wind. I just want the courses around me to open so I can hit these with real golf balls instead of the yellow foam balls.
haha, sounds scary to me.

Wait, are yours closed?! I drove through Oklahoma, and got the distinct impression there were zero fs given about what's going on. I didn't even want to get out of the vehicle.

psst.. It is scary, Dan.

Wait, are yours closed?! I drove through Oklahoma, and got the distinct impression there were zero fs given about what's going on. I didn't even want to get out of the vehicle.

psst.. It is scary, Dan.
The governor doesn’t care, lots of courses are closing on their own because they get it though.

Second round in the books with King Forged Tec. Long irons remain the most impressive of the set. Crazy easy to advance the ball on par 5's, and not a lot of surprises on flight in terms of shape. I also hit the 4 iron off the tee a couple times and it just flat out goes. My flight right now has a touch of a fade in it, which is kind of weird for my irons, but it's definitely playable. I need to pay more attention to my divot pattern to see if I need to get these bent 1 up.

Sound is still my favorite aspect of these. For a hollow body profile, they nailed sound so much. It's a rich contact profile, but not manufactured the way you don't want your irons to sound like. When I make great contact, it is incredibly satisfying.

Flight with the recoil protos is still exceptionally high. Caused some problems in the wind yesterday, which I am starting to have some internal debates on. Might be bouncing around a bit with my regular gamer shafts to see if that's what's driving the flight.

Second round in the books with King Forged Tec. Long irons remain the most impressive of the set. Crazy easy to advance the ball on par 5's, and not a lot of surprises on flight in terms of shape. I also hit the 4 iron off the tee a couple times and it just flat out goes. My flight right now has a touch of a fade in it, which is kind of weird for my irons, but it's definitely playable. I need to pay more attention to my divot pattern to see if I need to get these bent 1 up.

Sound is still my favorite aspect of these. For a hollow body profile, they nailed sound so much. It's a rich contact profile, but not manufactured the way you don't want your irons to sound like. When I make great contact, it is incredibly satisfying.

Flight with the recoil protos is still exceptionally high. Caused some problems in the wind yesterday, which I am starting to have some internal debates on. Might be bouncing around a bit with my regular gamer shafts to see if that's what's driving the flight.
These already bent strong?

Also, if they’ve got that touch of fade that could be playing a role there too, no?

These already bent strong?

Also, if they’ve got that touch of fade that could be playing a role there too, no?
Not bent anything, no. Sadly I can't go check either hahaha

When i say fade, I mean MAYBE five yards.

Well that’s not bad. I’d bet anything it’s a little toes heavy on you causing that, 1 up might be the ticket. Could always take em a little strong too and see what that does flight wise .

This is clearly the time to get a L&L Machine

Well that’s not bad. I’d bet anything it’s a little toes heavy on you causing that, 1 up might be the ticket. Could always take em a little strong too and see what that does flight wise.
This is clearly the time to get a L&L Machine
haha, unlikely. Sounds fun though.

Once I tinker a bit shaft wise, I'll know better whether they need to be bent a bit more aggressive to accommodate. With the huge flight I am getting, the results, outside of with the wind, aren't that surprising from a distance perspective - so I'd argue there's a bit of room there.

I also need to get more comfortable with Arccos grips. I'm not sure how I will, because my hands (which are usually NEVER an issue) were moving up and down the grips like crazy all weekend and it sucked.

haha, unlikely. Sounds fun though.

Once I tinker a bit shaft wise, I'll know better whether they need to be bent a bit more aggressive to accommodate. With the huge flight I am getting, the results, outside of with the wind, aren't that surprising from a distance perspective - so I'd argue there's a bit of room there.

I also need to get more comfortable with Arccos grips. I'm not sure how I will, because my hands (which are usually NEVER an issue) were moving up and down the grips like crazy all weekend and it sucked.
I struggled with the grips too when I had the AMT’s in these, I just chalked it up to me being odd but it was just never comfortable for some crazy reason for me.

I think we proved the Protos work for you. My advice would be to keep working through and as rust comes off I think they’ll groove nicely. But, that’s just an outside opinion.

psst.. It is scary, Dan.
I don't think we are doing enough honestly.
The governor doesn’t care, lots of courses are closing on their own because they get it though.
He is not doing very well...

I played with the king forged tec yesterday. I didn’t have a great swing yesterday, but on the good swings, these things are really good. I feel like I have adjusted to one length Forged Tec pretty well after 3 rounds with the exception of the OL wedges. I haven’t decided if it is me or if I need to get the loft adjusted to close the gap between 9i and PW. I need to play more :)

Little baby fade!

I played with the king forged tec yesterday. I didn’t have a great swing yesterday, but on the good swings, these things are really good. I feel like I have adjusted to one length Forged Tec pretty well after 3 rounds with the exception of the OL wedges. I haven’t decided if it is me or if I need to get the loft adjusted to close the gap between 9i and PW. I need to play more :)
From those limited outings, what kind of gap do you think you're looking at? How much more than your usual? I'm just curious.

The FT 9i is going a little farther than my old 9i and the PW is going a little shorter. My old Arccos number between 9i and PW was 132-112. The new gap (so far) is 139-109. I think I will be fine, but just keeping my eye on it and may want to bend the PW 1 or 2 degrees strong.

The FT PW has felt good and I have been pretty consistent with it; I used to be able to get 120 yards out of my old PW and when I try to hit the OL FT PW 115-120, I can’t get it. The OL FT GW I have been pretty awful. It is going about 100 yards when I need 90 and goes 85 yards when I need 100 yards.

I think it is more mental than anything on the OL wedges at this point. I might be able to play with ball position, but these first few rounds I am really trying to keep ball position the same with the one length.

5i-9i is great. I think I should have probably got the 4i as well.
E8B84547-F7D4-4FE4-9029-079491BF5944.png

The FT 9i is going a little farther than my old 9i and the PW is going a little shorter. My old Arccos number between 9i and PW was 132-112. The new gap (so far) is 139-109. I think I will be fine, but just keeping my eye on it and may want to bend the PW 1 or 2 degrees strong.

The FT PW has felt good and I have been pretty consistent with it; I used to be able to get 120 yards out of my old PW and when I try to hit the OL FT PW 115-120, I can’t get it. The OL FT GW I have been pretty awful. It is going about 100 yards when I need 90 and goes 85 yards when I need 100 yards.

I think it is more mental than anything on the OL wedges at this point. I might be able to play with ball position, but these first few rounds I am really trying to keep ball position the same with the one length.

View attachment 8935858
Okay. That'd be a hell of a gap between them, but it doesn't look like it'll hold. I wouldn't want to play with ball position until I had a good baseline either. It'd be real hard though if I was wasn't getting what I wanted out of it! I was curious because I see mentioned a lot (true or not) that getting the gapping right with OL can be a challenge.

It's interesting about your struggles withe the GW. There's something about it that has been hard to get used to for me (and a couple others). I'm getting ahead of it now. Not exactly sure how honestly, but based on video I'm definitely delivering it a little differently to get a more consistent shot with it. Which is just.. odd. Something in the shape of the toe and where the grooves approach the top line make it look boxier than I'm used to, and I think it's influencing me too much on shots like that where I need a little more or less. I usually play a set GW, but if i keep the FT around for a while I'm not entirely sure it will stay in the bag with them. Hopefully it works out for you with a little more time on it.

View attachment 8935858
Seems like it's coming along really well for you Sean. I'd encourage you to stick with the same setup for the wedges, it can take some time (aka swings) to get that swing consistent from club to club. Usually it's overswinging the long clubs and baby-ing the short ones. I''m sure that it will settle in for you.

Last edited:
Seems like it's coming along really well for you Sean. I'd encourage you to stick with the same setup for the wedges, it can take some time (aka swings) to get that swing consistent from club to club. Usually it's overswinging the long clubs and baby-ing the short ones. I''m sure that it will settle in for you though
I am sure that is it. At the range today, I did well moving the ball position slightly forward with the hybrids. The OL wedges go really high; do you see that in your OL set? I am not saying it is a bad thing.

I am sure that is it. At the range today, I did well moving the ball position slightly forward with the hybrids. The OL wedges go really high; do you see that in your OL set? I am not saying it is a bad thing.
I don't know enough about my ball flight before OL to really compare. High flight with wedges is not unusual, although you could have a small subconscious swing tweak with those that's causing higher flight and less distance.

I never quite got along with my hybrid, but moving the ball forward ever so slightly did help. I don't know if it was my swing, or something inherent in the difference between the iron and hybrid. In general, I would say that slight ball movement on the hybrid isn't nearly as big a deal as moving it for a set club.

Not as long of a 7i as some of the beasts in here, but not bad for an average....and the fact that I'm still NOT happy with where my swing is, but not at all bad given the peak average.

Forged%20Tec%207i-L.png

Any other irons in the set anyone wants me to mess around with today? I’ve no doubt quarantine boredom is going to set in.

Not as long of a 7i as some of the beasts in here, but not bad for an average....and the fact that I'm still NOT happy with where my swing is, but not at all bad given the peak average.

Forged%20Tec%207i-L.png
Nice numbers there.

So in a surprise my 4 iron will be here today instead of Thursday that was originally stated.

Cant wait to see how it works out.

Back