New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Same for me. Just PW and GW. Biggest one for me is from 9 to PW.

It’s funny, because inside on a launch monitor, it’s not an issue. Out on the course, it definitely is an issue.

It’s funny, because inside on a launch monitor, it’s not an issue. Out on the course, it definitely is an issue.
Do you think it is the change in spin between grass and a mat?

Do you think it is the change in spin between grass and a mat?

It could be, but I am still hopeful that it is my swing flaws and that the gapping issues manifest themselves out on the course, but not on a perfectly flat mat in perfect conditions. I took a lesson over the weekend and I was seeing some spin of over 9000 off of a mat, indoors, with TrackMan using the two wedges, so it’s not like I was getting flyers off of a mat. I think I need to flatten the pw and gw, as well. I am not super concerned and have played some of my best golf of my life with these irons.

It could be, but I am still hopeful that it is my swing flaws and that the gapping issues manifest themselves out on the course, but not on a perfectly flat mat in perfect conditions. I took a lesson over the weekend and I was seeing some spin of over 9000 off of a mat, indoors, with TrackMan using the two wedges, so it’s not like I was getting flyers off of a mat. I think I need to flatten the pw and gw, as well. I am not super concerned and have played some of my best golf of my life with these irons.
Haven't done my on course testing yet, that's Wednesday, but I'm having the same issue. 9i 155, PW 132-135. Which means I don't have a club for the 140s. Curious what are you doing for the gap? Choking up on the 9, or substituting another club in?

Haven't done my on course testing yet, that's Wednesday, but I'm having the same issue. 9i 155, PW 132-135. Which means I don't have a club for the 140s. Curious what are you doing for the gap? Choking up on the 9, or substituting another club in?

I don’t tend to choke up much with my clubs. I adjust distances more with a knockdown or bit softer swing. Alternatively, I will jump on a club a bit more if I need some extra distance. Right now, I am seeing about a 20 yard gap between pw (125 to 130 yards) and 9i (145 to 150). So, I will most likely flight down a 9 iron if I have 135 to 140 yards. The strategy would be the same with the gw/pw, where I am seeing about a 20 yard gap.

I don’t tend to choke up much with my clubs. I adjust distances more with a knockdown or bit softer swing. Alternatively, I will jump on a club a bit more if I need some extra distance. Right now, I am seeing about a 20 yard gap between pw (125 to 130 yards) and 9i (145 to 150). So, I will most likely flight down a 9 iron if I have 135 to 140 yards. The strategy would be the same with the gw/pw, where I am seeing about a 20 yard gap.
I see. The problem with my knockdowns is occasionally they go just as long as my regular flight shots. But the problem with bending the PW and GW strong is that there would be a significant gap between the Forged Tec wedges and the specialty wedges, which would be harder to compensate for I think. It could give me a reason to buy a 48-50 degree specialty wedge though :)

OK, I'm back from fitting. And the result is almost what I expected: I pulled the trigger for the Forged Tec iron (5 - GW)! :)

I narrowed down beforehand that I only want to test the Mizuno MP20 HMB, the TaylorMade P790 and the Cobra Forged Tec. These three I like the most in terms of looks.

Performancevise they were basically all very close for me. FT came first, followed by the Mizunos and lastly the P790. The FT were a bit longer and the dispersion was the smallest. Since they are also the cheapest heads: perfect.

My "biggest" surprise was the shaft. Have now taken the KBS TGI 95 graphite shafts. Never thought I would switch from a steel shaft to a graphite shaft but the trackmandata were quite clear. Another advantage: they look cool in black with the red logo. :D

In about 10 days they should be delivered. Am very excited. :)

I see. The problem with my knockdowns is occasionally they go just as long as my regular flight shots. But the problem with bending the PW and GW strong is that there would be a significant gap between the Forged Tec wedges and the specialty wedges, which would be harder to compensate for I think. It could give me a reason to buy a 48-50 degree specialty wedge though :)

If you are starting from your specialty wedges for gapping and you want to reduce gaps from that end of the bag, maybe you could bend the longer irons a degree or two weaker. @Jman did this with his Forged Tecs and appears to be liking the results, although for different reasons than gapping issues, at least as I understand it.

OK, I'm back from fitting. And the result is almost what I expected: I pulled the trigger for the Forged Tec iron (5 - GW)! :)

I narrowed down beforehand that I only want to test the Mizuno MP20 HMB, the TaylorMade P790 and the Cobra Forged Tec. These three I like the most in terms of looks.

Performancevise they were basically all very close for me. FT came first, followed by the Mizunos and lastly the P790. The FT were a bit longer and the dispersion was the smallest. Since they are also the cheapest heads: perfect.

My "biggest" surprise was the shaft. Have now taken the KBS TGI 95 graphite shafts. Never thought I would switch from a steel shaft to a graphite shaft but the trackmandata were quite clear. Another advantage: they look cool in black with the red logo. :D

In about 10 days they should be delivered. Am very excited. :)

Nice! I knew they’d win out.

And as for graphite, embrace it, better than steel in a lot of ways

If you are starting from your specialty wedges for gapping and you want to reduce gaps from that end of the bag, maybe you could bend the longer irons a degree or two weaker. @Jman did this with his Forged Tecs and appears to be liking the results, although for different reasons than gapping issues, at least as I understand it.
Yup. I’m a low spin ***** with irons. Haha

So took these on the course today for the first time.

As people have said, turf interaction was amazing. No fat divots. Distance not as strong as the monitor said but was windy today so hard to judge.

These clubs are workable...was fighting a little bit of an overdraw/straight pull today. missed a few left, all pin high. However when my alignment/swing was good, I could hit a nice piercing draw.

I also tried a fade on two par 3s, took one club more into the wind. Both landed pin high 5 to 10 feet from the hole.

Gap between 9 and PW and GW were there but it didn't really matter on the course today. I think I might be able to fade the short irons for those gaps. Will have to practice that.

I missed low on the face a couple of shots and the club does not feel great when that happens but the distance was good. However I think it only feels bad because of how soft it feels when you hit one square in the sweet spot. My AP3 were more harsh on mishits.

And the 4 iron works pretty great as a driving iron on the shorter par 4s. Haven't got the courage or need yet to hit it off the deck.

I think these clubs will help me get better because I'm starting to swing slower and smoother with the added distance they give me, not trying to muscle the ball through the wind.

84 today. Not bad for the first round with my new clubs!

These forged tecs are really starting to come around for me. My driver and putter decided to take some time off and were previously strengths, but I either beat or tied my GIR today (at least since I got Arccos in March 2019).

I am glad I tried one length irons and plan to stick with them for a long while. I need to update my “Morgan Cup journey with One Length” thread and will do that this week with more stats

These forged tecs are really starting to come around for me. My driver and putter decided to take some time off and were previously strengths, but I either beat or tied my GIR today (at least since I got Arccos in March 2019).

I am glad I tried one length irons and plan to stick with them for a long while. I need to update my “Morgan Cup journey with One Length” thread and will do that this week with more stats
It's great to feel good about the decision rather than have a mental battle! Great stuff, ou!

Pretty good round with mine today. Started off a bit slow as I'm working through a few swing issues, but got it going for the final 2/3s of the round. Had 3 different iron shots that led to kick in birdies, 2 with the 9 iron and 1 with the PW. Continue to love the performance.

On the finish issue, I heard from Cobra last night and they suggested trying to use some nail polish remover. Didn't help. So we'll see if they have any other ideas. Used iron covers today......and hated it.

The conversation in the blades vs. cavity thread inspired me to come in here and pump up the forged tecs some more. There are minor annoyances with them, and the size and look of them would probably take years of playing for me to let go of, but the distance predictability has been stellar for me. If I need to hit a specific yardage to get on the right level of a green, or go after a ridiculously tight pin, I've seen almost nothing to indicate an outcome I got was the result of anything outside of what I put into the club. I can't say the same for every similar type of club I've tried. I've found that quite impressive. That's all.

@Lions81 I feel for ya on the finish, man. Your whole process sounds unpleasantly familiar.

The conversation in the blades vs. cavity thread inspired me to come in here and pump up the forged tecs some more. There are minor annoyances with them, and the size and look of them would probably take years of playing for me to let go of, but the distance predictability has been stellar for me. If I need to hit a specific yardage to get on the right level of a green, or go after a ridiculously tight pin, I've seen almost nothing to indicate an outcome I got was the result of anything outside of what I put into the club. I can't say the same for every similar type of club I've tried. I've found that quite impressive. That's all.

@Lions81 I feel for ya on the finish, man. Your whole process sounds unpleasantly familiar.

Its honestly the only slightly negative thing I have to say about the irons, and most here don't seem to really be seeing it with theirs.

Its honestly the only slightly negative thing I have to say about the irons, and most here don't seem to really be seeing it with theirs.

I tried to find your original post but couldn't locate it, what finish issue are you having with the FT?

I tried to find your original post but couldn't locate it, what finish issue are you having with the FT?

Post 1744 shows a picture of it. Have one iron where the finish seems to have been rubbed off all the way out on the toe area and has some streaks. We here and Cobra suspect it was from rubbing up against another iron.

yeah, sadly they don't activate well for me. Just feel super harsh and too spinny.

I'm going to go back to what is "home" to get a baseline, and then we'll go from there.

What about the regular KBS Tour? I used to hit the ball as high as you do and that shaft has brought it to a much more manageable level.

What about the regular KBS Tour? I used to hit the ball as high as you do and that shaft has brought it to a much more manageable level.
I didn't have as much luck with the Tour compared to others, but the bend profile is unreal from a transitional feedback standpoint. LOVE it.

If you don’t at least try these irons at some point this year you are doing yourself a disservice. Really enjoying these a lot so far this year. My biggest complaint like others is the pw/gw just can’t figure out why they are so much shorter than all the other clubs.

If you don’t at least try these irons at some point this year you are doing yourself a disservice. Really enjoying these a lot so far this year. My biggest complaint like others is the pw/gw just can’t figure out why they are so much shorter than all the other clubs.
They sure sound sweet when @oumagic hits them.

All along, I thought my wedge issues might be due to One Length, but I see others are seeing the same thing. If I try to muscle up on the PW to close that gap, it goes shorter.63B3B83B-1C33-4A34-99D9-90269E683A14.jpeg

pretty big flight improvement tonight with the Tour V installed. Had some really clean launches, straight flight shots, and tight approaches using the KFTs.

Best shot was a 6 iron (not against the wind, more like neutral to help) from 205. Flew the pin by a couple yards but absolutely glued to it the whole way in the air. Landed tight and finished in its divot, which continues to negate any concerns that distance (for me) comes without stopping power.

I had a shot on 7 with a bit more wind help from 197 (horrible tee shot) and decided to pull the 7 iron. The pin was a sucker set up out to the right with basically water surrounding, and I guess my hands figured it out faster than my brain did because I turned the ball over. Still pin high, but instead or going straight or fade, I hit a draw safely onto the left side of the green.

On #9 in the other direction, I had 215 and opted to hit a 5 iron. I'd say most days with dead wind it plays about a half club less due to the green lower. Figured with the pin at the back, I'd have enough juice to at least cover the marsh. Even with an 'okay' strike I easily covered, which is a big win for me as I think these long irons are wonderful.

Like others, I am still learning my way around the PW and 9 iron. I don't seem to have a ton of success with dialing either of them back from a distance perspective, but I absolutely need more time to validate.

More to come. I've got a LOAD of golf to play this weekend.

Back