New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

pretty big flight improvement tonight with the Tour V installed. Had some really clean launches, straight flight shots, and tight approaches using the KFTs.

Best shot was a 6 iron (not against the wind, more like neutral to help) from 205. Flew the pin by a couple yards but absolutely glued to it the whole way in the air. Landed tight and finished in its divot, which continues to negate any concerns that distance (for me) comes without stopping power.

I had a shot on 7 with a bit more wind help from 197 (horrible tee shot) and decided to pull the 7 iron. The pin was a sucker set up out to the right with basically water surrounding, and I guess my hands figured it out faster than my brain did because I turned the ball over. Still pin high, but instead or going straight or fade, I hit a draw safely onto the left side of the green.

On #9 in the other direction, I had 215 and opted to hit a 5 iron. I'd say most days with dead wind it plays about a half club less due to the green lower. Figured with the pin at the back, I'd have enough juice to at least cover the marsh. Even with an 'okay' strike I easily covered, which is a big win for me as I think these long irons are wonderful.

Like others, I am still learning my way around the PW and 9 iron. I don't seem to have a ton of success with dialing either of them back from a distance perspective, but I absolutely need more time to validate.

More to come. I've got a LOAD of golf to play this weekend.
Your Arcoss stats are going to be fun!

Tough scene here.... Ordered my FT irons last tuesday and they told me that it would take about 10 business days before I would get them. But that was fine, I could accept that mentally. Yesterday I received a phone call telling me that my clubs are ready and I could fetch them from my fitter.... But unfortunately all my days are full with work and family stuff until monday.

It is terribly knowing that your clubs are waiting for you but you can't have them. I would rather wait the 10 days... :cautious::LOL:

If you don’t at least try these irons at some point this year you are doing yourself a disservice. Really enjoying these a lot so far this year. My biggest complaint like others is the pw/gw just can’t figure out why they are so much shorter than all the other clubs.

These are outstanding irons. Perfect blend of distance and forgiveness emphasis on forgiveness.

Way better for me than the F9 irons.

They launch with the DG105 shafts than my J15 DPFs with Elevate shafts- which is a huge win for me.

Turf interaction is solid - need to improve off the grass as they really shine off the tee for me haha

pretty big flight improvement tonight with the Tour V installed. Had some really clean launches, straight flight shots, and tight approaches using the KFTs.

Best shot was a 6 iron (not against the wind, more like neutral to help) from 205. Flew the pin by a couple yards but absolutely glued to it the whole way in the air. Landed tight and finished in its divot, which continues to negate any concerns that distance (for me) comes without stopping power.

I had a shot on 7 with a bit more wind help from 197 (horrible tee shot) and decided to pull the 7 iron. The pin was a sucker set up out to the right with basically water surrounding, and I guess my hands figured it out faster than my brain did because I turned the ball over. Still pin high, but instead or going straight or fade, I hit a draw safely onto the left side of the green.

On #9 in the other direction, I had 215 and opted to hit a 5 iron. I'd say most days with dead wind it plays about a half club less due to the green lower. Figured with the pin at the back, I'd have enough juice to at least cover the marsh. Even with an 'okay' strike I easily covered, which is a big win for me as I think these long irons are wonderful.

Like others, I am still learning my way around the PW and 9 iron. I don't seem to have a ton of success with dialing either of them back from a distance perspective, but I absolutely need more time to validate.

Can I have your recoils? Asking for @Tenputt

It is interesting that while you are attempting to dial in the pw and 9 iron, your problem appears to be the opposite of others in that you are trying to dial them back, while others need a little more distance to gap in.

Can I have your recoils? Asking for @Tenputt
Those things will be installed in something else within a couple weeks for more testing. They are awesome.

so, hell to the nahhhhh

It is interesting that while you are attempting to dial in the pw and 9 iron, your problem appears to be the opposite of others in that you are trying to dial them back, while others need a little more distance to gap in.
No, maybe what I said was wrong.

I was trying to hit some touch shots that cut down on some of the distance and I lost quite a bit more than expected with them. I'm coming from irons with absolutely obscene numbers though, so I am just going to have to take the weekend to better understand my numbers to give a full update.

I've got to say, I've hardly had any problems with distance with any of the Forged Tec irons. The long ones or the short ones. The distance is so similar to my previous irons that yardages/distances to the green hasn't been an issue at all during my rounds. Haven't had to readjust, dial in, or anything. It's probably just because I'm just equally as bad with whatever iron I have in my hand ;) jk

So I was working at the range today that has TrackMan range. Pw was going 120-125 but GW was going 105. I started de-lofting the Gw a bit and was able to get it up to 110, so I’ll either go that route or bend it a degree or so strong to help a bit.

I have a theory as to why I have struggled a bit with the pw and gw. Both of those irons have the same tech built into the club head, which assists in high launch. In addition, they have a shape that I think leads me to setting up open somewhat. The combination of the high launch and an open club face is probably shaving off the 10 yards that is causing me gapping issues.

Today at lunch, I took the gw into a grass field by my office. I focused on making sure the head was square and really getting down and through the ball. According to my rangefinder, I was seeing about 120 yards out of the gw, which is exactly what I was seeing through the winter indoors using TrackMan. If I can replicate that out on the course, my problem is solved.

I'm looking at these. I have a set of F9 OL I've had since they came out and I'm not bonding with the shorter irons. I really had hoped I would because that would simplify practice sessions. The problem I've run into is on the shorter shots where they just feel weird. Do I hit a full 54 or a partial GW? I hate hitting a full 54, but a partial GW as long as the club is doesn't feel right even when choking down - it feels too light and I duff it every time. So I'm seriously looking at going back to variable length irons.

But 6 - GW or 6 - PW and get a 50?

The offset doesn't look offensive on these like it does on some GI clubs. I wish the lower groove had a white alignment line in it but I suppose it can be added post purchase. The top line looks nice, not too thick. You see my handicap.

Now this time for an iron fitting I'm thinking of going to Club Champion to make sure I get the proper length and lie fitting. Cobra has a lot of different graphite shafts available for this. Finding something that suits my swing tempo would be the next thing.

So at a 19 - 20 HC, do you think I can hit these things? GW or MD-5 50 degree?

I still miss my old BioCells but finding them in my length and loft again? Nope.

I'm looking at these. I have a set of F9 OL I've had since they came out and I'm not bonding with the shorter irons. I really had hoped I would because that would simplify practice sessions. The problem I've run into is on the shorter shots where they just feel weird. Do I hit a full 54 or a partial GW? I hate hitting a full 54, but a partial GW as long as the club is doesn't feel right even when choking down - it feels too light and I duff it every time. So I'm seriously looking at going back to variable length irons.

But 6 - GW or 6 - PW and get a 50?

The offset doesn't look offensive on these like it does on some GI clubs. I wish the lower groove had a white alignment line in it but I suppose it can be added post purchase. The top line looks nice, not too thick. You see my handicap.

Now this time for an iron fitting I'm thinking of going to Club Champion to make sure I get the proper length and lie fitting. Cobra has a lot of different graphite shafts available for this. Finding something that suits my swing tempo would be the next thing.

So at a 19 - 20 HC, do you think I can hit these things? GW or MD-5 50 degree?

I still miss my old BioCells but finding them in my length and loft again? Nope.

If you liked the old BioCell irons, you will love these, as they are a serious upgrade. I also think if the King F9 iron size is okay for you, check out the SPEEDZONE irons as well. Really good set with packed in tech.

Can’t wait to get a chance to hit I love the looks and really like to have a set most likely I’ll will have a set at some point playing the speed zone irons now and like them

Was curious if anyone knew how flat these irons could be bent. I think I need to flatten at least 2 degrees.

Was curious if anyone knew how flat these irons could be bent. I think I need to flatten at least 2 degrees.
You can order them from Cobra 3 up or 3 flat. I am not a club builder, but I think you would be able to have any shop flatten them how you want.C4893FF9-3A5B-45E6-9F6B-11AD6B976CDC.png

2 isn't a problem. I don't know what the theoretical limit would be, but more than that. I've moved mine by 2 with no issue.

2 isn't a problem. I don't know what the theoretical limit would be, but more than that. I've moved mine by 2 with no issue.
Great thank you guys. I know you can bend them flatter from Cobra, just didn't know what was safe for a third party fitter to do.

Great thank you guys. I know you can bend them flatter from Cobra, just didn't know what was safe for a third party fitter to do.
I just double checked and I don't see any cracks or striations or anything like that in the finish of mine either, so you should be fine all around. (y)

I just double checked and I don't see any cracks or striations or anything like that in the finish of mine either, so you should be fine all around. (y)
Awesome, thank you so much for checking! Now to just find a shop near NYC or long island that is actually open and can do it.

I play Nike VRS Covert Forged 2.0 with Nippon 950 GH stiff shafts (I know old irons). Would these be comparable or more of a player's club? I also was looking at adding the Nippon Pro Modus 105 shaft to these because I fight a hook miss when I get too quick with my transition and I think the extra weight in the shaft would help.

Saw the Cobra golf deal in the deal of the day thread and thought about now is the time to look into these irons.

They come up to 3 flat and can likely be bent a little further.

If you call customer service you may be able to specify the build if you want something specific. Cobra CS does a pretty solid job with custom orders.

They got me, even with the COVID forced spending cuts this deal was too good to pass up. Catalyst 80s, +3/4”, plus4 grips, and will call for swing weight.

They got me, even with the COVID forced spending cuts this deal was too good to pass up. Catalyst 80s, +3/4”, plus4 grips, and will call for swing weight.

awesome, Gary! I believe you will love them, given how you feel about both the F9s and the P790s.

If you are debating getting these clubs. This is a great deal right now.

Back