New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Did this with the GW yesterday, from 130

View attachment 8945632

Had another GW spin back 10 ft today off the tee

Really need to reiterate the forgiveness and distance these provide in a more compact head
Wow I'm impressed you are able to hit the GW that far. Mine goes 115 :oops: Nice shot!

Was curious if anyone knew how flat these irons could be bent. I think I need to flatten at least 2 degrees.
I was gonna comment on your older post about over drawing and hitting straight pulls.... these irons are more stock upright than Cavity backs or blades. These were stock 2* upright more than the Mizuno mp20's I was fit for. I didnt pay attention to that when I ordered them but my first 2 rounds I missed left 90% of the time.

I weakened my loft 1.5* and bent flat 2* no problem

I was gonna comment on your older post about over drawing and hitting straight pulls.... these irons are more stock upright than Cavity backs or blades. These were stock 2* upright more than the Mizuno mp20's I was fit for. I didnt pay attention to that when I ordered them but my first 2 rounds I missed left 90% of the time.

That's good to hear. I was thinking of bending mine a little flatter but was waiting to see some results from your experiment with them.

Got out to the range at lunch. Man these are long and high launching irons. They feel great when you hit them flush and not overly punishing on thin shots.

This did happen again at the range though. This time the 9 iron.
2BFAAB65-F2C6-4FC9-8E4A-F24FCA8E9945.jpeg

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I was thinking of bending mine a little flatter but was waiting to see some results from your experiment with them.
Big difference! Much more consistent since getting them adjusted

Big difference! Much more consistent since getting them adjusted
I think I've got to get mine adjusted from 2* upright to standard lie.

Did they have any issues bending? No cracks or issues right?
nope... brought them to PGA store the first day they opened for curbside drop off. Had them done by the next day.... I could tell at address they were flatter. Only got 3 rounds with them but ball flight definitely shapes less

also on my net at home Im starting the ball slightly right of center much more compared to before flattening them I would always pull the ball immediately

Another round in with these and have to say I'm so confused with the GW. To the point I need to get it checked or something. Only hit it once today. It was a little into the fan and had 106 to the stick. This has been averaging roughly 115 for me so figured it should be money. It went 92 yds :oops: and left me in a bunker. Its either spinning too much or its me. I'd be happy if it was just me honestly but I am enjoying every other iron in this set except this one and others are struggling with it to so I just don't know what to do with it right now.

Another round in with these and have to say I'm so confused with the GW. To the point I need to get it checked or something. Only hit it once today. It was a little into the fan and had 106 to the stick. This has been averaging roughly 115 for me so figured it should be money. It went 92 yds :oops: and left me in a bunker. Its either spinning too much or its me. I'd be happy if it was just me honestly but I am enjoying every other iron in this set except this one and others are struggling with it to so I just don't know what to do with it right now.
I wish there was an easy answer, but some of us have tried everything we can think of with not a lot of luck. It's different for all of us, but I have to go all the way to my 7-iron to find a worse average proximity than that dang GW, so I'm just working around it until I find the right replacement.

I'm convinced it has something to do with higher strikes than the CG really wants. Like the opposite of how some manufacturers have recently started moving the sweet spot up and towards the toe as they add loft.

I posted on another thread that I tried the sharpie lie angle test and the line was upright each time. So now I'm not sure what to do. Playing 18 tomorrow so I'll see if any adjustments help. Otherwise time for a lesson/fitting to see if I should change the lie angle or my swing.

I posted on another thread that I tried the sharpie lie angle test and the line was upright each time. So now I'm not sure what to do. Playing 18 tomorrow so I'll see if any adjustments help. Otherwise time for a lesson/fitting to see if I should change the lie angle or my swing.

Oh, I didn't see your results. So the sharpies were good?! Interesting. I'll have to find the other thread.

I normally play 1* flat (that is how I ordered these), but have been hitting a lot of left shots with these as well. I may be taking them in for a little bend work based on your discovery.

This did happen again at the range though. This time the 9 iron.
View attachment 8945960

Whoa - that sucks!

I wish there was an easy answer, but some of us have tried everything we can think of with not a lot of luck. It's different for all of us, but I have to go all the way to my 7-iron to find a worse average proximity than that dang GW, so I'm just working around it until I find the right replacement.

I'm convinced it has something to do with higher strikes than the CG really wants. Like the opposite of how some manufacturers have recently started moving the sweet spot up and towards the toe as they add loft.

I am seeing about a 20 yard plus gap between PW and GW on mine as well. It just does not feel like the rest of the clubs. On some hits that I think are flush, I am getting even bigger gapping issues. For now, I am just not gaming the GW and may pick up a MiM replacement.

On a Forged Tec positive note, and one for the blades vs. CB/other forgiving tech, one of my worst shots (swings?), swings, was a 6 iron from ... 181? uphill to a tough green. Had it playing a good 189/190 in my head. I wanted to play a high cut to hold the right level of the green, and proceed to instead just toe the bejesus out of it. The whole swing was kind of ugly. I'll upload it for anyone that wants to actually see it.

and that, somehow ended up

20200527_213935.jpg

^ here. 189 actual yards from where I was, and 27 feet away from the pin for an easy par. I am supremely confident that would not have been the result with a less forgiving or in any way less awesome club. Got close to the required distance in the air still, and the poor strike must have lowered the spin, because it released quite a bit. Thank you, forged tecs.

Last edited:
Easy and fun. I think that's the best way to describe these bad boys.

205 to the pin, a bit of hurt win, I've never felt more casual with a 5 iron in my hands. Ripped it long, naturally, but still... Easy and fun.

@Tenputt I had one of those issues you talked about with short irons. Last time I played I caught one of the jumper like shots. I hit a 9 iron way over a green. Ended up going 170yds!! Never had one fly like that before..

Interesting.

Wow I'm impressed you are able to hit the GW that far. Mine goes 115 :oops: Nice shot!

The guy is a beast with wedges. Always has been...

You are not alone in your quandry.

On a Forged Tec positive note, and one for the blades vs. CB/other forgiving tech, one of my worst shots (swings?), swings, was a 6 iron from ... 181? uphill to a tough green. Had it playing a good 189/190 in my head. I wanted to play a high cut to hold the right level of the green, and proceed to instead just toe the bejesus out of it. The whole swing was kind of ugly. I'll upload it for anyone that wants to actually see it.

and that, somehow ended up

View attachment 8946050

^ here. 189 actual yards from where I was, and 27 feet away from the pin for an easy par. I am supremely confident that would not have been the result with a less forgiving or in any way less awesome club. Got close to the required distance in the air still, and the poor strike must have lowered the spin, because it released quite a bit. Thank you, forged tecs.

The strike sure sounded good in the video.

Last edited:
Sunday.....Sunday I will be hitting these again :love:

Back