New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Great to hear! I am not a high spin player. These irons are already lower spin. Only question is flex.
My 6 iron swing speed is around 86moh give it take a couple.
Hit it 170 or so with FTB and closer to 180 with Srixon z565 which have lighter shafts.
Do you think stiff $tsoer lites would be good fit?

Surprising as a stock option as they are more expensive than the other KBS offerings by significant margin.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
From what you have stated, I think the $-Taper Lite in S-flex would be a great fit for you. They are in the right weight category for what you are after and your swing speed is sufficient for them. Even though they are smooth they are hard to overpower. My driver can get up to 115, but I tend to hover in the 107 to 112 range and I could play the S-Flex as well, I just prefer a stiffer profile.

From what you have stated, I think the $-Taper Lite in S-flex would be a great fit for you. They are in the right weight category for what you are after and your swing speed is sufficient for them. Even though they are smooth they are hard to overpower. My driver can get up to 115, but I tend to hover in the 107 to 112 range and I could play the S-Flex as well, I just prefer a stiffer profile.
Wow wish I could my speed up. Highest I ever was was 107 or so.

So stiif won't be too stiff then? How would this shaft compare to dg105 or the modus 105?

So stiif won't be too stiff then? How would this shaft compare to dg105 or the modus 105?

I haven't played those shafts, so really can't help there.

My swing speed is the same as yours, maybe a little higher with my current shafts, and my 6i with these clubs goes 175-180.

I'm using sitff aerotech i95s. Every time I've been fitted at club champion or other places they put me in stiff shafts. With a 105g shaft I think it wouldn't be a huge difference. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone a little heavier for tempo reasons.

My swing speed is the same as yours, maybe a little higher with my current shafts, and my 6i with these clubs goes 175-180.

I'm using sitff aerotech i95s. Every time I've been fitted at club champion or other places they put me in stiff shafts. With a 105g shaft I think it wouldn't be a huge difference. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone a little heavier for tempo reasons.
Thanks. That is my typical 6 iron yardage with my Srixon irons 5 yards less with my FTB.
Think will go with $taper lite.
Only concern is if the head is so low spin that maybe I should choose a higher spinning shaft.

Another round under my belt with these, and finally a bit of a breakthrough. I've struggled with my ball striking since I finally got back out on the course again and last night worked on really forcing myself to get through and point my belt buckle at the target after impact. Straight away I started striking it more how I was used to and getting the flight I saw at the fitting. Such a relief to be actually hitting greens again, now just need to get to the range again and start grinding again to make sure it stays there.

Ball flight is just about perfect for me, high without ballooning and I think the extra weight in the shafts really helps with the dispersion. Even when I don;t strike the ball well, there is no major loss of distance and the ball just wants to fly true. I did leave the face open on a couple with fairly predictable results, but I have nothing to blame except the swing there.

My only slight issue is the same as a number of people have said here. My 9i and PW seem to almost be a club shorter than what I was expecting, which leaves me with a gap between 8i and 9i. There have been some good comments in here around that, so I'll be heading to the range again tonight to see if I can try a couple of things out and cllose the gap.

I also just can't get over how great these look in hand though, they are a real pleasure to have and hit. Am back in love with them!

Guys, THESE IRONS ARE AMAZING! Got 3 more rounds in this weekend and my ball striking has gone from my biggest weakness to one of only things that worked for me this week. I think the OL is a great fit for me and I'm 100% SOLD. I'll probably play with VL again in the future to see how I adjust back, but there is nothing I left wanting on this clubs!

As mentioned before Croba has nailed the sound and feel of a pure strike. I'm literally having dreams of the whip crack of these irons. I also its a great reinforcement on a good strike. Very responsive and feel for as forgiving as they are!

Threw a few darts on par 3's today with these, sadly missed all the putts. I'm starting to get comfortable with some of the added distance when struck well but make no mistake they are forgiving when you miss the center.

Just had a range session with these trying out something in the swing that felt off and wow. All is forgiven, and I can now formally confirm that these are long. As in, really long.

I wasn't getting through the ball properly before, so was working on firing onto my left side and really making sure the belt buckle was pointing slightly left of target after impact.

That gap I was mentioning with the PW and 9i not being as long as I was hoping? Gone.... Am now maxing out around 135-140 with the PW, and 145-150ish with the 9i, which fits perfectly into the gap, as well as an extra 5-7 yards on each of the other clubs. Now have a nice 12-15 yard gap in between each of the irons, other than the 5i which I still can't hit for toffee :ROFLMAO: The ball was just exploding off the face, and the ball flight was very high which I like, but not ballooning.

If my back wasn't threatening to give in, I would be there until dark just smashing 7 irons. Great range session!

Pretty good day with these again today. Hit a lot of greens and gave myself some reasonable looks for birdie, although no real darts. GW is on thin ice. Days are likely numbered.

Pretty good day with these again today. Hit a lot of greens and gave myself some reasonable looks for birdie, although no real darts. GW is on thin ice. Days are likely numbered.
It’s nice that you have put it on a PIP before letting it go in this difficult job market. Good on you 😂

It’s nice that you have put it on a PIP before letting it go in this difficult job market. Good on you 😂

Just refuses to go the distance I want it to on the course, and launch is just straight up. Guess I should probably have the specs checked first, and then consider bending, but its so much more fun to just buy something else.

Just refuses to go the distance I want it to on the course, and launch is just straight up. Guess I should probably have the specs checked first, and then consider bending, but its so much more fun to just buy something else.

I've played my last round with it. I actually hit it to about 10' or so on a par 3 today, but I had face on video of the swing, and the amount of hands and lean I had to have to make what I wanted happen was absurd. It'll work, but I'm not going to hurt myself, screw up my swing, or bend it for the 254645th different time trying to better those gaps. I think I'm only going to play one more with the FTs anyway for a while. Want to reunite with my Callaways.

Still brilliant overall in my mind though. Shot great with them today and my average distance after approach (115-215 yds) with the Forgies was 18.5'. That's a solid set no matter how much the wedge thing bugs me.

Here is my arccos yardages after 12 rounds so far this season with the Forged Tecs. The 6i is a bit surprising because it always seems a little long on course, the 8 and 7 is a bit odd as well but you can clearly see the stupidity of the GW though I will say it does feel as good as the rest of the clubs the distance is just odd0F7EE10E-C317-456C-81B6-26E43E2C06F0.png

Here is my arccos yardages after 12 rounds so far this season with the Forged Tecs. The 6i is a bit surprising because it always seems a little long on course, the 8 and 7 is a bit odd as well but you can clearly see the stupidity of the GW though I will say it does feel as good as the rest of the clubs the distance is just oddView attachment 8947952
What numbers do you have in your head when you to pull a club? Seems like some are little high, some a bit low. Looks like there's a developing 15 yard per club gap, just needs more data

What numbers do you have in your head when you to pull a club? Seems like some are little high, some a bit low. Looks like there's a developing 15 yard per club gap, just needs more data
Maybe once I get to 20 rounds we will see.

I have put a specialty wedge in place of my Forged Tec gap wedge. It is a 48 degree wedge that I thought would blend well into the 44 degree pw. I have now hit it twice and according to Arccos, I hit it 122 and 123 yards. Last night, I hit it flush and was left with a 2 foot putt for birdie. This yardage gaps right in perfectly with the 135 yards I see in the pw. Right now, I say that the problem is solved.

Last edited:
I have put a specialty wedge in place of my Forged Tec gap wedge. It is a 48 degree wedge that I thought would blend well into the 44 degree pw. I have now it it twice and according to Arccos, I hit it 122 and 123 yards. Last night, I hit it flush and was left with a 2 foot putt for birdie. This yardage gaps right in perfectly with the 135 yards I see in the pw. Right now, I say that the problem is solved.

What is the specialty wedge?

I have a 50* MIM Wedge I'm going to put DG115s in and give it a try.

Today was the best day by far for me with the Forged Tec Irons, it started on the back 9 during my Sunday round.

I think I've unlocked the tempo and how I should hit these, they are distance irons, I don't need to step on them at all. Clubbing down and going easy has yielded tremendous results (with exceptions in the PW/GW)

My only birdie of the day came on the Par 5 15th hole at my course. Arccos said I hit the 5i from the rough 202 yards (it is uphill) and I was long but still pin high in the rough.

Well struck and turf interaction was fantastic, with the COVID they've grown the rough up a bit more than it has been in previous years. The only knock, and this is me splitting hairs is that I wish the flight was higher in 4/5 iron off the deck - off the tee I can get them up.

The sound of these is addicting as well and I'm not a sounds guy lol.

Excited to see how the game rounds into form from here.

What is the specialty wedge?

I have a 50* MIM Wedge I'm going to put DG115s in and give it a try.

Today was the best day by far for me with the Forged Tec Irons, it started on the back 9 during my Sunday round.

I think I've unlocked the tempo and how I should hit these, they are distance irons, I don't need to step on them at all. Clubbing down and going easy has yielded tremendous results (with exceptions in the PW/GW)

My only birdie of the day came on the Par 5 15th hole at my course. Arccos said I hit the 5i from the rough 202 yards (it is uphill) and I was long but still pin high in the rough.

Well struck and turf interaction was fantastic, with the COVID they've grown the rough up a bit more than it has been in previous years. The only knock, and this is me splitting hairs is that I wish the flight was higher in 4/5 iron off the deck - off the tee I can get them up.

The sound of these is addicting as well and I'm not a sounds guy lol.

Excited to see how the game rounds into form from here.

The 48 degree wedge I threw in is a Cleveland CBX 2. It will be interesting to see if the MIM works, since you will have a 6 degree gap between the pw and the 50 degree MIM. You might need to bend it a degree. I wish Cobra offered its specialty wedges in 48 degrees.

I found during the winter on TrackMan that the gap between the 6 iron and 5 iron started to close, so I am currently play 6 through pw, then going to a hybrid in the 22/23 degree hybrid for my next club. It gives me the soft landing shot for about 200 to 205 yards.

The 48 degree wedge I threw in is a Cleveland CBX 2. It will be interesting to see if the MIM works, since you will have a 6 degree gap between the pw and the 50 degree MIM. You might need to bend it a degree. I wish Cobra offered its specialty wedges in 48 degrees.

I found during the winter on TrackMan that the gap between the 6 iron and 5 iron started to close, so I am currently play 6 through pw, then going to a hybrid in the 22/23 degree hybrid for my next club. It gives me the soft landing shot for about 200 to 205 yards.

I'll see you in the MIM thread to continue this discussion my friend. However the DG105 pairing in the Forged Tecs is fantastic for me - I am wondering if a heavier shaft ie 115 in the PW/GW (more the GW as the PW has shown it handles the business better lol) would help with the distance as currently my iron to wedge gapping in shafts is ( on paper less than ideal) S200s that are 127gs.

I deloft enough, but I get pretty similar distance in the 54* as I do the GW.

My thought to bridge the irons is DG115 S300 in 50/54/58

Just had a range session with these trying out something in the swing that felt off and wow. All is forgiven, and I can now formally confirm that these are long. As in, really long.

I wasn't getting through the ball properly before, so was working on firing onto my left side and really making sure the belt buckle was pointing slightly left of target after impact.

That gap I was mentioning with the PW and 9i not being as long as I was hoping? Gone.... Am now maxing out around 135-140 with the PW, and 145-150ish with the 9i, which fits perfectly into the gap, as well as an extra 5-7 yards on each of the other clubs. Now have a nice 12-15 yard gap in between each of the irons, other than the 5i which I still can't hit for toffee :ROFLMAO: The ball was just exploding off the face, and the ball flight was very high which I like, but not ballooning.

If my back wasn't threatening to give in, I would be there until dark just smashing 7 irons. Great range session!
Thats great to hear!

I am still seeing great gaping in my irons down to the PW. The GW is just a no go for me and I don't see any way possible to make it work. I am using a Hogan Equalizer 50* though that is fitting in perfectly between the PW and the 54 MiM. On paper that doesn't make sense, but the PW is a little short for the strong loft IMO.

I'll see you in the MIM thread to continue this discussion my friend. However the DG105 pairing in the Forged Tecs is fantastic for me - I am wondering if a heavier shaft ie 115 in the PW/GW (more the GW as the PW has shown it handles the business better lol) would help with the distance as currently my iron to wedge gapping in shafts is ( on paper less than ideal) S200s that are 127gs.

I deloft enough, but I get pretty similar distance in the 54* as I do the GW.

My thought to bridge the irons is DG115 S300 in 50/54/58
Why would a heavier shaft help with distance? Isn't the opposite typically true?

Why would a heavier shaft help with distance? Isn't the opposite typically true?
Think it just depends on the individual... id say definitely a majority of the time it is very true. But I took my dad to Club Champion to get fit and he was farther with heavier SteelFiber FC 95g shafts than the stock 70g shaft in the m4 irons

completely different quality shafts I know but moved up 25g and SS went up 1mph and ball speed went up almost 6mph

In past fittings, I've gone lighter to help with launch, my fitting in Oct where my goal was to dial in the F9 irons (b/c Nippon is garbage for me lol) and those didn't need any help launching - we settled on the PX Rifle shafts 6.0 and those are 141g

Definitely a head/shaft combo thing, but we also went heavier in the wedges too - I think heavier shafts are fine for me in the shorter clubs because they're shorter ha

Back