New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I have a 4-PW FT set incoming and have a few questions on what wedges people are using with these irons. I currently use Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons from 2002 with a 46° PW and 50° GW with a Cleveland 588 56° SW from 2002. On most par 4 and par 5 holes I generally use PW or lower for my approach shots so I want to ensure I get this right as I'm looking to get new wedges to go with the Forged Tecs. From searching this thread I have found that not everyone seems to love the FT GW so I have a few questions...

1. Is anyone using the FT GW and likes it? What is your gap between PW and GW and GW and SW?

2. If you are no longer using the FT GW, why not?

3. If you replaced it with other wedges what models and lofts did you pick? How are the gaps between the PW and the GW you selected. What were the gaps you had with the original FT GW? Would you consider going back to the FT GW?

4. Did anyone consider using a GW from another players distance set to get more forgiveness than a traditional bladed wedge? For example, a T100, T100S, T200, or P790 GW?

4. I know one of the members in this thread uses a CBX2 48° GW, another uses a MIM 50° GW, and another a Hogan 50°GW. How are the gaps between the FT PW and the GW you selected? Is 44-50 a large gap?

5. I am currently considering the following wedge loft progressions past the PW: 1. 48, 52, 56; 2. 50, 56, 60; 3. 48, 54, 60. Any thoughts on that?

6. I was fit into Project X 6.0 in my irons, would getting the same shaft in my wedges be advisable? I would assume so for wedges that are primarily full swings?

7. Any other feedback you have about wedges and the FT would be great.

I played well today with the OL forged tec. I finally strung together two good nines. I still struggle with the GW and not sure what it is. I hit more greens with the 9i and PW. I ordered a MiM wedge bent to 48 degrees to try in that spot but haven’t received.

just looking at arcoss stats: my PW and 9i both average 27’ from pin on approach; GW is 42’. GIR % with those 2 are right at 50% and GW is 40%. Lastly, I don’t like chipping with the OL GW and that is perhaps the biggest reason I am trying A standard length MiM. Other than that one club in the set, I live the OL forged tec. Current gapping:
5F574BC7-9100-4A9A-B4C1-CD2AC0D23743.png

I have a 4-PW FT set incoming and have a few questions on what wedges people are using with these irons. I currently use Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons from 2002 with a 46° PW and 50° GW with a Cleveland 588 56° SW from 2002. On most par 4 and par 5 holes I generally use PW or lower for my approach shots so I want to ensure I get this right as I'm looking to get new wedges to go with the Forged Tecs. From searching this thread I have found that not everyone seems to love the FT GW so I have a few questions...

1. Is anyone using the FT GW and likes it? What is your gap between PW and GW and GW and SW?

3. If you replaced it with other wedges what models and lofts did you pick? How are the gaps between the PW and the GW you selected. What were the gaps you had with the original FT GW? Would you consider going back to the FT GW?

4. Did anyone consider using a GW from another players distance set to get more forgiveness than a traditional bladed wedge? For example, a T100, T100S, T200, or P790 GW?

4. I know one of the members in this thread uses a CBX2 48° GW, another uses a MIM 50° GW, and another a Hogan 50°GW. How are the gaps between the FT PW and the GW you selected? Is 44-50 a large gap?

5. I am currently considering the following wedge loft progressions past the PW: 1. 48, 52, 56; 2. 50, 56, 60; 3. 48, 54, 60. Any thoughts on that?

6. I was fit into Project X 6.0 in my irons, would getting the same shaft in my wedges be advisable? I would assume so for wedges that are primarily full swings?

Welcome to THP! That's a heck of a first post for questions. Hopefully a few others chime in to respond, but I have a couple minutes so I'll add what I can.

1. Is anyone using the FT GW and likes it? What is your gap between PW and GW and GW and SW? My gap at stock settings is 14 yds between PW and GW, and 10 yds between GW and my non-Forged Tec SW (Ping Glide 3.0 54*).

2. If you are no longer using the FT GW, why not? I've found that to get the yardage I want I have to try a heck of a lot harder than I'd like to, and my dispersion is suffers because of that.

3. If you replaced it with other wedges what models and lofts did you pick? How are the gaps between the PW and the GW you selected. What were the gaps you had with the original FT GW? Would you consider going back to the FT GW? I recently started using a ping glide 3.0 50* in place of it it which closed the gap between the PW and that new wedge for me by a couple yards. It's about right in the middle of my PW and SW now without having to swing out of my shoes. I wouldn't go back. Those glides are way better.

4. Did anyone consider using a GW from another players distance set to get more forgiveness than a traditional bladed wedge? For example, a T100, T100S, T200, or P790 GW? The Ping Glides are a forgiving wedge. They have blended very well into the players distance irons for me.

4. I know one of the members in this thread uses a CBX2 48° GW, another uses a MIM 50° GW, and another a Hogan 50°GW. How are the gaps between the FT PW and the GW you selected? Is 44-50 a large gap? The 50* Glide seems to work well. It's a lot easier to get a little extra on for me compared to the FT, so the 44-50 seems to work well. It's more about yardage than any specific loft.

5. I am currently considering the following wedge loft progressions past the PW: 1. 48, 52, 56; 2. 50, 56, 60; 3. 48, 54, 60. Any thoughts on that? It's all personal. I use my 54 the most, so I play sets that go 44/48-50/54/58 or 44/48-50/54/60 most commonly, but with my RTXs I usually play more 44/48-50/56/60.

6. I was fit into Project X 6.0 in my irons, would getting the same shaft in my wedges be advisable? I would assume so for wedges that are primarily full swings? For full swings it makes sense, but there are a bunch of others in that profile range that might work, too. I go heavier as I go shorter and a lot of people go softer. I have sets that are only one of those (heavier/softer) and sets that are both and I like them all a little differently.

7. Any other feedback you have about wedges and the FT would be great. I'd just go somewhere were you can check your yardages for the set you have coming in and start adjusting according to those numbers. Good luck and once again, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to THP! That's a heck of a first post for questions. Hopefully a few others chime in to respond, but I have a couple minutes so I'll add what I can.

1. Is anyone using the FT GW and likes it? What is your gap between PW and GW and GW and SW? My gap at stock settings is 14 yds between PW and GW, and 10 yds between GW and my non-Forged Tec SW (Ping Glide 3.0 54*).

2. If you are no longer using the FT GW, why not? I've found that to get the yardage I want I have to try a heck of a lot harder than I'd like to, and my dispersion is suffers because of that.

3. If you replaced it with other wedges what models and lofts did you pick? How are the gaps between the PW and the GW you selected. What were the gaps you had with the original FT GW? Would you consider going back to the FT GW? I recently started using a ping glide 3.0 50* in place of it it which closed the gap between the PW and that new wedge for me by a couple yards. It's about right in the middle of my PW and SW now without having to swing out of my shoes. I wouldn't go back. Those glides are way better.

4. Did anyone consider using a GW from another players distance set to get more forgiveness than a traditional bladed wedge? For example, a T100, T100S, T200, or P790 GW? The Ping Glides are a forgiving wedge. They have blended very well into the players distance irons for me.

4. I know one of the members in this thread uses a CBX2 48° GW, another uses a MIM 50° GW, and another a Hogan 50°GW. How are the gaps between the FT PW and the GW you selected? Is 44-50 a large gap? The 50* Glide seems to work well. It's a lot easier to get a little extra on for me compared to the FT, so the 44-50 seems to work well. It's more about yardage than any specific loft.

5. I am currently considering the following wedge loft progressions past the PW: 1. 48, 52, 56; 2. 50, 56, 60; 3. 48, 54, 60. Any thoughts on that? It's all personal. I use my 54 the most, so I play sets that go 44/48-50/54/58 or 44/48-50/54/60 most commonly, but with my RTXs I usually play more 44/48-50/56/60.

6. I was fit into Project X 6.0 in my irons, would getting the same shaft in my wedges be advisable? I would assume so for wedges that are primarily full swings? For full swings it makes sense, but there are a bunch of others in that profile range that might work, too. I go heavier as I go shorter and a lot of people go softer. I have sets that are only one of those (heavier/softer) and sets that are both and I like them all a little differently.

7. Any other feedback you have about wedges and the FT would be great. I'd just go somewhere were you can check your yardages for the set you have coming in and start adjusting according to those numbers. Good luck and once again, welcome to the forum!

I say, why have any wedges past pw. The bag is so much lighter. LOL

4. Did anyone consider using a GW from another players distance set to get more forgiveness than a traditional bladed wedge? For e0 xample, a T100, T100S, T200, or P790 GW?

Welcome to THP!

I am one who moved on from the set gw. It is too inconsistent for me.

I think you could pick any brand of specialty wedge set and have it gap in. I like a 48 degree with the set because it leaves a 4 degree gap for pw to gw, and I use my gw mostly like another iron. I have not tried another set’s gw With the FTs.

I am the one who has been using a CBX2 48. I am seriously considering a move to the PING Glide 3 50 degree and bending it to 49. Why? Because I am enamored by a 54 degree Eye 2 grind and a 60 degree TS grind in the Glide 3. They spin like crazy and it would be a super versatile duo of wedges. Currently, I have been playing 48 and 52 degree CBX2s and a 58 degree full face. It gives me pretty good gapping. I have been using the full face for most of my work around the green and it is versatile enough to do it.

I just take the wedges with the stock shafts. You might really like matching the shafts to your irons. It would feel consistent.

I've only had these for 4 rounds.

1. I do so far, I haven't hit my PW very well (my problem), but the GW goes exactly where I'd like it (120-125). PW looks like it's 133-137 ish but I need more data. I play a 56* wedge and I can get it up to about 110 if I need to.

5. Depends on your wedge usage but I like #2

7. Try to get a chance to hit them. This issue seems common but not universal, so you just gotta test for yourself

OldandStiff and TenPutt thanks for the welcome to the forum. Thanks for your feedback as well as phoffer. I'll give my current wedges a try to see how they gap with the FT PW before I decide on what path to go down. I'd order a FT GW, but that would likely take a month to custom order with a PX shaft. There are so many wedges out there and am having info overload, if I go specialty the main contenders would be CBX2, Glide 3.0, or Vokey. From the feedback looks like the Glide 3.0 would be good ones to try at a store. Glad to hear that the set 44° PW to a 50° Glide 3.0 isn't too much of a gap. Maybe I'll order a set GW with my fitting shaft to compare to whichever specialty wedge I decide to get.

Thanks again for the feedback.

OldandStiff and TenPutt thanks for the welcome to the forum. Thanks for your feedback as well as phoffer. I'll give my current wedges a try to see how they gap with the FT PW before I decide on what path to go down. I'd order a FT GW, but that would likely take a month to custom order with a PX shaft. There are so many wedges out there and am having info overload, if I go specialty the main contenders would be CBX2, Glide 3.0, or Vokey. From the feedback looks like the Glide 3.0 would be good ones to try at a store. Glad to hear that the set 44° PW to a 50° Glide 3.0 isn't too much of a gap. Maybe I'll order a set GW with my fitting shaft to compare to whichever specialty wedge I decide to get.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I have FT's 4 - P. I weekend the lofts 2* and went with 50 (bent to 51), 56, 60

a lot of people have had distance issues from the FT Gap being much shorter than the PW and have ordered either the MIM or Black King Cobra 50* wedge to replace the FT GW

Welcome! Love the questions right off the bat

1. I am using the GW and I like the way it feels and looks but am not a fan of the distance I'm getting from it.
2. See 1
3. If I replaced it I'd look at a Cobra MIM 50 and have it bent 1-2* strong to start with and if it didn't work I'd try another brand probably Cleveland or Callaway.
4. I would not considering using the GW from another set, that would bug me
5. 50, 54, 58 works great for me
6. I have Recoil 110's in my all my irons and wedges. Its the first time I have lighter shafts in wedges, they are fine they don't bother me but I rarely take full swings with wedges other than GW. I honestly haven't really thought about going heavier at this point.
7. If I were getting a set right now I'd avoid the GW too many people are having issues with it for whatever reason. Otherwise the FT are fantastic irons that look and feel fantastic.

Any other questions fire away! We have multiple Morgan Cuppers playing these irons right now and quite a few other members providing great feedback as well.

my forged tec utility came yesterday and it looks amazing... but of course it decided to rain from 3pm - 7pm (not in the forecast) so I didnt get to hit it

leaving today for vacation and won't be back til Monday so ill just have to think about hitting it ....but ill be welcomed back to the Black MIM wedges when I get home!

Yesterday was my first rain session with the clubs. we're all I have to say I was very impressed. The ball flight was definitely flattered than my Srixon irons the field was great and there was very little movement on the shape of the ball flight. It was straight and penetrating overall with perhaps a hint of a draw.

One thing that I did struggle a little bit with on the range and I don't know how much of it is me versus the club's was that a number of times I had some very thin mrs. That were virtually topped shots. I have a feeling some of this was when I tried to put a little bit of a faster move on the ball, and with lighter weight of the club it seemed as if I did not release the club and came into it with too much shaft lean and topped it.

This only seemed to happen when I tried to seeing a bit harder for extra distance. Think I lost a bit of feel of the clubhead. Hopefully as I get used to these this won't happen as it did happen twice in my first round with them. Think I will get the swing weight checked as they were ordered 1/4 inch short and with $taper lite shaft maybe the SW is too light.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

1. I am using the GW and I like the way it feels, but unlike others, I haven't had issues with distances or gapping. It is very comparable to my previous irons.
2. I still use the GW and plan to continue using it.
3. N/A
4. I would not and did not considering using the GW from another set.
5. I have MIM wedges in 52, 56 and 60 lofts with my set and it fits my gaps great. The 52 is about 10 yds shorter than my Forged Tec GW.
6. I put the same shafts in my MIM wedges that I have in my irons, The DG 120's.
7. I think the FT are fantastic irons that look and feel like a forged cavity back.

I’m committed to the DG105s but dammnit I think I need Elevates in there - I’m a club longer than the F9s but these just fire the hellacious seeds off the ground - from a tee not really seeing the issues.

Ugh decisions decisions

I just like my aggressive move smooth still definitely works better haha

First day on the course with these. Got them working great. This was my second shot on 9 from 155 with an 8 iron.

EC523F0A-E7A1-4108-A6BA-D71F70B0977D.jpegAF39CAFD-BD9C-4601-9EB0-A38036E6B0AF.jpeg

Very pleased, got an earlier than expected delivery of my 4-GW Forged TECs, can’t wait to get them on course and check performance against the Mizuno’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• WIN_20200705_10_09_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200705_10_09_07_Pro.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 12
  • WIN_20200705_10_09_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200705_10_09_23_Pro.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 16
  • WIN_20200705_10_09_33_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200705_10_09_33_Pro.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 15
  • WIN_20200705_10_09_40_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200705_10_09_40_Pro.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Third round with them and feel was good hit some great 5iron knock downs with them. They want to stay straight and stop pretty quick. Was a bit shorter with them than I expected but truthfully was swinging cautiously with them as I get used to the lighter weight.

Spent a little time on TrackMan Wednesday evening. It was only a 30 minute session and I ran up and down through the bag. The efficiency that these irons produce is really pretty extraordinary. Smash factor of 1.43 with a 7 iron? Come on. Don’t focus on the distance. It was set at 4000 feet elevation (to calibrate to our elevation golf in Utah). Still, that is likely a 175 yard seven iron carry at sea level and that is huge for me.

0085940B-437E-46EF-A997-A9963BF21A50.jpeg

I'm surprised by the stopping power of these clubs. Had 177 to the pin ticked in the back right of the green over a green side bunker. Sucker pin but I went for it with a 6 iron, landed five feet right and stopped 5 feet after the ball mark for 179.

And even though it goes a little short my pitching wedge is 125 on the dot. Hit a shot from 125 to two inches from the pin.

My driving was terrible today but still hit an 82 because my approach shots and par 3s were on fire. According to Arccos my average par 3 score is 3.3 which is fantastic for me and testament to these irons.

14 GIR today with these and, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t striking the ball extremely well. I hit a lot of thin shots. This profile is pretty forgiving on thin misses.

I’ve been finding a lot more success with these bad boys recently and the distance and forgiveness is stellar. Plenty of pin seekers and the distances are super predictable. I still need a little more work on the swing to be happy but the clubs are hanging around and the catalyst shafts are staying for now

Spent a little time on TrackMan Wednesday evening. It was only a 30 minute session and I ran up and down through the bag. The efficiency that these irons produce is really pretty extraordinary. Smash factor of 1.43 with a 7 iron? Come on. Don’t focus on the distance. It was set at 4000 feet elevation (to calibrate to our elevation golf in Utah). Still, that is likely a 175 yard seven iron carry at sea level and that is huge for me.

View attachment 8951877
The smash/efficiency number with them is honestly hard to believe sometimes. There are some new-ish releases that can compete on the numbers, but not in a head that looks and feels like those do, imo. It's so impressive.

Sometimes these things make you sound silly. Two shots stick out from the other day: one I told my cousin that I lost it in the air, but hit it fat and was probably short of the green. Nope, I was on the front and pin was in the middle. Another was a par 3 where I hit it thin and was yelling for it to get down. I was sure it was going to hit the green and end up in the back bunker. We get up there and I was short of the flag. Two GIR when I thought neither were going to end up on the floor.

Last edited:
14 GIR today with these and, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t striking the ball extremely well. I hit a lot of thin shots. This profile is pretty forgiving on thin misses.

I found the same, my thin misses turn out very playable.

I really want to get out and play with these, hopefully I'll get something this weekend and next 2 weeks

Wow, I was super excited about my 13/18 GIR And two birdies yesterday. But 14 GIR is amazing.

Now if only I didn't have 39 putts I would have easily broken 80. Settled for an 82.

These clubs have gotten me to a 10 handicap. Single here I come... hopefully.

Back