New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Got to play over the weekend again with these and the DG 105. They are very consistent. I feel like I am literally swinging at 50% and they are going at least the distances my old Mizuno irons went. I am trying a much slower tempo to get better consistent strikes.
I am excited to start ramping up the speed to see the distance gains. It may be better to stay where I am though and have nice crisp contact. The long irons are still easy to launch with no problems.
I even got the 2 utility and was able to hit that no problems off the tee. I was really impressed with the 2 utility. It may kick the 5 wood out of the bag permanently.

I have two rounds in with the FT/Recoil 110 Proto combo and they are longgggggg. I am surprised by the long irons specifically, with the 5 being just so easy to hit straight. I was a bit concerned with stopping the ball, but it has not been an issue at all, especially with scoring irons. These clubs are real fun.

I found the same, my thin misses turn out very playable.
Exactly the same as me, I've been striking the ball miserably the last few rounds, and even the thin shots tend to be playable with not the enormous distance drop off that you'd see. Has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion.

Spent a little time on TrackMan Wednesday evening. It was only a 30 minute session and I ran up and down through the bag. The efficiency that these irons produce is really pretty extraordinary. Smash factor of 1.43 with a 7 iron? Come on. Don’t focus on the distance. It was set at 4000 feet elevation (to calibrate to our elevation golf in Utah). Still, that is likely a 175 yard seven iron carry at sea level and that is huge for me.

View attachment 8951877
I hadn't even thought about the distance difference in Utah to here - that will take some getting used to :eek:

my 2i utility came in last Wednesday as I left for vacation. got back to day and all I could think about is how much Ive been wanting to hit it!

clubs are in the car and im going straight to the range after work

my 2i utility came in last Wednesday as I left for vacation. got back to day and all I could think about is how much Ive been wanting to hit it!

clubs are in the car and im going straight to the range after work
I've been hitting the 4 UT this past week. To get the proper gapping past the 5i, I had to decrease the loft by -1.5. Seems to be about right with that setting. Look forward to your thoughts on the 2!

I've been hitting the 4 UT this past week. To get the proper gapping past the 5i, I had to decrease the loft by -1.5. Seems to be about right with that setting. Look forward to your thoughts on the 2!
Interesting I just checked the lofts...for whatever reason the Forged Tec 4i is 21* while the 4 utility is 22.5* (Forged Tec 5i is 23*)...guess that makes sense why you had to decrease loft

I haven't done enough research on the utility but as far as I know the irons and utility are the same design. wonder why they would make the lofts weaker on the utility

Interesting I just checked the lofts...for whatever reason the Forged Tec 4i is 21* while the 4 utility is 22.5* (Forged Tec 5i is 23*)...guess that makes sense why you had to decrease loft

I haven't done enough research on the utility but as far as I know the irons and utility are the same design. wonder why they would make the lofts weaker on the utility
I didn't check that before ordering and it doesn't really make sense to me either. I just assumed the 4UT was lofted to blend in with the FTs. Oh well, seems to be working ok, but does launch higher and spin more, so into the wind it may not be any longer than my 5. Will see. I should have probably gone 3UT then.

I would guess that the utility lofts were set where they are for two reasons:

1. Usually the very best and stronger players seek the utility irons. Others more frequently go with a hybrid or higher lofted fwy. That being the case, the utilities are probably set to go in players’ bags who are playing more traditionally lofted sets, such as the new players irons that will be introduced at some point. In fact, I would guess that the two would have been released near the same time if not for the pandemic.

2. Since the lofts are adjustable, they can adapt for blending purposes anyway.

I would guess that the utility lofts were set where they are for two reasons:

1. Usually the very best and stronger players seek the utility irons. Others more frequently go with a hybrid or higher lofted fwy. That being the case, the utilities are probably set to go in players’ bags who are playing more traditionally lofted sets, such as the new players irons that will be introduced at some point. In fact, I would guess that the two would have been released near the same time if not for the pandemic.

2. Since the lofts are adjustable, they can adapt for blending purposes anyway.
yea that does make sense thinking of it that way. I typically play a blended set of CB / MB so that logic the utility would blend in perfect if I wanted a 4

I didn't check that before ordering and it doesn't really make sense to me either. I just assumed the 4UT was lofted to blend in with the FTs. Oh well, seems to be working ok, but does launch higher and spin more, so into the wind it may not be any longer than my 5. Will see. I should have probably gone 3UT then.
ive heard its a little higher launching. I got mind with a steelfiber shaft so hopefully it doesnt go too high. My 2u is to hopefully replace the 5w bc right now it doesnt do much for me other than balloon. When ive been faced with a distance that should be my 5w number, ive had to go with 4i and try to muscle it

On arccos my 5i is going farther than the 5w so I hope the 2u could be the replacement between 3w and 4i

I played my first round with my new Forged Tecs yesterday evening. Hit 6/9 greens with 3/6 being with the Forged Tecs. Hit greens with the 8I, 9I, and PW. Missed with 5I, 6I, and 7I. 5I I hit on the toe short and for both the 5I and 6I I overcut them slightly right of the green. I could definitely tell the ball jumps off the face must faster than my old clubs. Shots have a nice high boring trajectory with the Project X shafts. I always thought I hit my old clubs with too much spin. Doesn't feel as soft as my old Hogans, but well struck balls do feel good in a different way. Distance is longer, my Club Champion fitting showed 20 yards further than my old 6I, that will take some time to find the new iron distances. Ball goes high, I hit two 4I off the tee on two par 4's and I don't think I hit a mid/long iron any higher in my life. I have no concern with stopping a 4I on a par 3 if I continue to get that height. Size wise they are very similar to my old Hogan Apex Edge Pro's, minimally longer with slightly larger topline and sole.

Looks wise I think the Forged Tec look better in person than in pictures. I originally wasn't a big fan of the dual color sole, but it has grown on me. I was leaning toward the P790 originally as I preferred the chrome looks. They were the top two irons from my fitting as they both performed equally in the fitting (ball speed-119 and carry-167), with the exception that the Forged Tec had higher (5732 vs. 5544) and more consistent (225 vs. 625) spin as well as a higher smash factor (1.39 vs 1.36) and lower launch angle (18.8° vs 20°). P790 had slightly higher height (104 ft vs 99 ft) and descent angle (49° vs 48°) probably a direct result of the higher launch. Shot dispersion was identical between the two.

I was fit into standard lie heads and being 6'1 was skeptical of that as Club Champion used a lie impact board to determine lie. The sticker showed impact on the middle bottom of the sole and ball impact in direct center of club. I went to the range and used the "sharpie" test with a dry erase marker and the lines were pretty vertical on the club face. I'll probably go back and hit more balls to get a better sample as the first sample only showed that minor corrections less than a degree may be needed, if any.

Overall pretty happy after one round, will need more rounds and shots with each club to dial the distances down.

Still haven't decided what I am going to do for a new Gap Wedge. Leaning toward either a CBX 2 or a Glide 3.0 as it's primarily a full-shot club.

I played my first round with my new Forged Tecs yesterday evening. Hit 6/9 greens with 3/6 being with the Forged Tecs. Hit greens with the 8I, 9I, and PW. Missed with 5I, 6I, and 7I. 5I I hit on the toe short and for both the 5I and 6I I overcut them slightly right of the green. I could definitely tell the ball jumps off the face must faster than my old clubs. Shots have a nice high boring trajectory with the Project X shafts. I always thought I hit my old clubs with too much spin. Doesn't feel as soft as my old Hogans, but well struck balls do feel good in a different way. Distance is longer, my Club Champion fitting showed 20 yards further than my old 6I, that will take some time to find the new iron distances. Ball goes high, I hit two 4I off the tee on two par 4's and I don't think I hit a mid/long iron any higher in my life. I have no concern with stopping a 4I on a par 3 if I continue to get that height. Size wise they are very similar to my old Hogan Apex Edge Pro's, minimally longer with slightly larger topline and sole.

Looks wise I think the Forged Tec look better in person than in pictures. I originally wasn't a big fan of the dual color sole, but it has grown on me. I was leaning toward the P790 originally as I preferred the chrome looks. They were the top two irons from my fitting as they both performed equally in the fitting (ball speed-119 and carry-167), with the exception that the Forged Tec had higher (5732 vs. 5544) and more consistent (225 vs. 625) spin as well as a higher smash factor (1.39 vs 1.36) and lower launch angle (18.8° vs 20°). P790 had slightly higher height (104 ft vs 99 ft) and descent angle (49° vs 48°) probably a direct result of the higher launch. Shot dispersion was identical between the two.

I was fit into standard lie heads and being 6'1 was skeptical of that as Club Champion used a lie impact board to determine lie. The sticker showed impact on the middle bottom of the sole and ball impact in direct center of club. I went to the range and used the "sharpie" test with a dry erase marker and the lines were pretty vertical on the club face. I'll probably go back and hit more balls to get a better sample as the first sample only showed that minor corrections less than a degree may be needed, if any.

Overall pretty happy after one round, will need more rounds and shots with each club to dial the distances down.

Still haven't decided what I am going to do for a new Gap Wedge. Leaning toward either a CBX 2 or a Glide 3.0 as it's primarily a full-shot club.

Nice write up. A little input on your gap wedge. For whatever reason, PING does not have a 48 degree wedge in the Glide 3. The CBX 2 does come in 48 degrees. For me, 48 degrees is. What gaps in the best. The PING 50 degree certainly could be bent 2 degrees.

I am still completely in love with these irons, and finally my ball striking is coming round to actually being able to do them justice. They are incredibly forgiving on both fat and thin, which I tested out on a multitude of occasions last night, but only for the good of providing forum feedback you understand. If you put even half a decent swing on these they just explode off the face, and feel so solid but yet soft at the same time. I went with heavier shafts than I'm used to (KBS $ taper) and was concerned initially, but the ball flies so high and just wants to go straight. I still can't hit the 5i, but no biggie. Couple of slight gapping issues around the 9i and PW but that is just me and not the clubs. For anyone looking to try a set of irons, this is a no brainer for me.

I am still completely in love with these irons, and finally my ball striking is coming round to actually being able to do them justice. They are incredibly forgiving on both fat and thin, which I tested out on a multitude of occasions last night, but only for the good of providing forum feedback you understand. If you put even half a decent swing on these they just explode off the face, and feel so solid but yet soft at the same time. I went with heavier shafts than I'm used to (KBS $ taper) and was concerned initially, but the ball flies so high and just wants to go straight. I still can't hit the 5i, but no biggie. Couple of slight gapping issues around the 9i and PW but that is just me and not the clubs. For anyone looking to try a set of irons, this is a no brainer for me.
I love my 5i. Great flight and good distance. Weirdly I can't hit the 4i. Not sure if it's the extra length or mental but, it goes low and the same distance as my 5i, about 200.

I love my 5i. Great flight and good distance. Weirdly I can't hit the 4i. Not sure if it's the extra length or mental but, it goes low and the same distance as my 5i, about 200.
I just stop at 6i, can't remember the last time I hit the 5 other than a little punch under trees. I just can't launch it at all, which is odd because the rest of the set I hit fantastically.

I just stop at 6i, can't remember the last time I hit the 5 other than a little punch under trees. I just can't launch it at all, which is odd because the rest of the set I hit fantastically.
That's exactly how I feel...about the 4. What are you using for a 5iron?

That's exactly how I feel...about the 4. What are you using for a 5iron?
A thinned 6 iron usually :ROFLMAO:

Having another fitting on Monday and looking to get a higher lofted hybrid to replace it. I have a Ping G25 27 degree hybrid that is the perfect yardage but I'm wanting to stay loyal to Cobra going forwards.

Need help with my Forged Tec fitting. I have KBS $-taper in stiff, but I'm only getting about 150-155 carry with 7 iron, which is about what I was getting with my old Hogan 7 iron (Apex 4/stiff) which was 4.5 degrees weaker. I've had the lofts checked and the lies adjusted correctly to my game.

I was expecting more. Ball flight is really quite low. I'm thinking about trying AMT Red or XP100 shafts to get more height and spin. I haven't hit this on a monitor so I'm not sure what numbers I'm actually getting.

Need help with my Forged Tec fitting. I have KBS $-taper in stiff, but I'm only getting about 150-155 carry with 7 iron, which is about what I was getting with my old Hogan 7 iron (Apex 4/stiff) which was 4.5 degrees weaker. I've had the lofts checked and the lies adjusted correctly to my game.

I was expecting more. Ball flight is really quite low. I'm thinking about trying AMT Red or XP100 shafts to get more height and spin. I haven't hit this on a monitor so I'm not sure what numbers I'm actually getting.

I also just replaced my Apex Edge Pros with Apex #4 shafts with Cobra Forged Tecs with Project X 6.0. I was fit at Club Champion and per their Trackman these were the numbers for each club are at the end of the post. These are 6 irons and I gained about 19 yards in carry, but similar to the 7I the FT 6I is 4° stronger than the AEP 6I so additional yards is expected. The AEP 6I was about my ~160 total club so the numbers seem realistic and i live at about 1k ft elevation, not sea level like the trackman data is calculated. I also noticed that the FT shafts are also longer so that should give additional distance. I haven't done any direct comparisons between the two, but for me I am seeing a boring high trajectory with the irons, but that depends on strike location. I've only used the clubs for two nines and haven't got the new yardages figured out, but I am playing them as 15 yards further than before (basically one less club) and I have either hit the green or been "green" high if I have missed the green (assuming good strike). I also haven't noticed a lower flight on well struck balls, well struck balls seem to go higher. For me the ball speed is much higher with the Cobras. Note that I have not checked the lofts as they came from the factory and I have used the "sharpie" test to determine that the lies are good.

How were you fit into your shaft? Is this the stock $-taper lite or the regular weight $-taper? I don't have any experience with AMT red or XP100, my second choice shaft would likely have been DG120 S300. Did you do a direct comparison between the two clubs during your fitting? If you didn't hit different shafts, I would suggest trying to find a Cobra fitter that allows you to try different shafts in the FT head instead of trying random shafts that may or may not be better.

AEP_TM.jpg

FT_TM.jpg

Nice write up. A little input on your gap wedge. For whatever reason, PING does not have a 48 degree wedge in the Glide 3. The CBX 2 does come in 48 degrees. For me, 48 degrees is. What gaps in the best. The PING 50 degree certainly could be bent 2 degrees.

I see you replaced your CBX 2 48 with a Ping Glide 50 in the Ping Glide thread. How would you compare those two gap wedges? Forgiveness, spin, distance, consistency, turf interaction, feel? How do they compare with the FT gap in those same metrics?

I have been using a SpeedZone 4i in lieu of the FT 4i and it would blend nicely over that spot. I am at the same distances as you with the 5, more or less, and it’s a great option.

I know many are having issues with the GW in this set but I’ll be the voice of dissent - I’m having basically no issue gapping it. The below is from the Shot Scope V3 after 6 rounds.

FC27971A-41E6-4C87-BA51-053430B810F9.jpeg

Last edited:
I see you replaced your CBX 2 48 with a Ping Glide 50 in the Ping Glide thread. How would you compare those two gap wedges? Forgiveness, spin, distance, consistency, turf interaction, feel? How do they compare with the FT gap in those same metrics?

First, the CBX 2 is sitting right there and could go back in at some point. It is a great, full swing club. I went to the Glide 3 because I moved to a Glide 3 54 Eye 2 grind and a Glide 3 60 TS. I am thinking that a this will give me more versatility around the greens, but it also leaves a much bigger gap between a 48 degree gap wedge and a 54 degree middle/sand wedge. I felt like the Glide three might be a little more versatile than the CBX 2 to manufacture partial shots to fill that gap. It is smaller and seems to spin more for me. It may not be quite as long as the CBX 2. The CBX 2 is more forgiving. I don’t notice much difference on turf interaction, but the Glide 3 is still very new. The Glides feel a bit softer to me.

The FT gap just isn’t gapping for me, which is the reason I originally went to the CBX 2.

Hopefully, this helps. Let me know if I can answer other questions.

Back